Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Star Trek Nemesis SCE Menu Screens And SCE Deleted Scenes Update

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-05, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Star Trek Nemesis SCE Menu Screens And SCE Deleted Scenes Update

The Menu Screens For Star Trek Nemesis SCE are now up at http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?...7800&n=1&burl=
Also, the menu screens confirm that all of the deleted scenes on the first release will be included on the dvd with the new ones
Old 09-23-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
A commentary by Rick Berman - that should be a hoot! Wonder how many times he'll say stuff like "We didn't release this at the right time" or "It's a really good movie that never got a chance to find an audience".
Old 09-23-05, 11:52 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Guess I'm picking this one up.....again
Old 09-23-05, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will be proudly double dipping this one.
Old 09-23-05, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One plot hole absolutely wrecked this movie for me.
Spoiler:
When they find the Beta-Data, no one mentions the possibility that it's Lore. Really pissed me off no one in production new anything about TNG.

All Good Things... crushes all TNG flicks.
Old 09-23-05, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
A commentary by Rick Berman - that should be a hoot! Wonder how many times he'll say stuff like "We didn't release this at the right time" or "It's a really good movie that never got a chance to find an audience".
I very rarely listen to commentaries anymore, but I intend to listen to Berman's just for the comedy value.
Old 09-23-05, 01:03 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by cleaver
One plot hole absolutely wrecked this movie for me.
Spoiler:
When they find the Beta-Data, no one mentions the possibility that it's Lore. Really pissed me off no one in production new anything about TNG.
I thought they did mention it. I thought someone asked and it was quickly put to rest that it wasn't.
Old 09-23-05, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No they don't mention it. And despite cleaver's claim, you can bet that nearly everyone involved "new about it". I'm guessing they left it out in order to not confuse the casual viewer who might not understand the reference (something I disagree with them doing).
Old 09-23-05, 02:52 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Numanoid
No they don't mention it. And despite cleaver's claim, you can bet that nearly everyone involved "new about it". I'm guessing they left it out in order to not confuse the casual viewer who might not understand the reference (something I disagree with them doing).
Spoiler:
Perhaps they don't mention it because Data was pretty definite when asked about Lore's fate at the end of the 7th season premiere. Maybe they all saw for themselves that Lore had been disassembled.
Old 09-23-05, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Glad I didn't buy it the first time. I'll be picking this one up
Old 09-23-05, 03:11 PM

At the very least, a reference to Lore was certainly warranted. I also figure that they didn’t want to confuse the casual viewer (and I also disagree with this), but come on… They gave Dr. Soong a mention, without going into a lengthy discussion of who he was.

While I am slightly interested in the deleted scenes, I am not sure that I will double-dip on this one. And this is coming from a fairly die-hard Trekker.
Old 09-23-05, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Spoiler:
Perhaps they don't mention it because Data was pretty definite when asked about Lore's fate at the end of the 7th season premiere. Maybe they all saw for themselves that Lore had been disassembled.
Spoiler:
They left him for dead multiple times. He kept coming back. And they include references to the series that are less salient than Lore, like Noonan Singh, Worf and Troi's relationship (I think), and Picard's vineyard.
Also references to other series: From IMDB: There's a maneuver named for Captain Kirk from "Star Trek" (1966). There is mention of the Dominion War from "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" (1993). Captain Janeway from "Star Trek: Voyager" (1995) has a cameo. And one of the ships that the Enterprise was to rendezvous with is the USS Archer, named for the captain in "Enterprise" (2001). All of this indicates that confusing the viewer wasn't a concern.

According to IGN http://dvd.ign.com/articles/403/403755p1.html the director wasn't familiar with Star Trek, and according to IMDB got the job after recutting Paramount's Tomb Raider and MI2. He's British and it's quite possible he had never seen a episode of any Star Trek before he got the gig. The vibe is just off the whole movie, not enough tongue in cheek. It seems like every character likes every other character equally, like they have no prior relationships.

In hindsight ending the series with First Contact would have been a better way to go out, both commercially and critically. My $0.02.
Old 09-23-05, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I haven't had a chance to dig through my audio recordings from Dragon*Con 2005 and see what is audible for public use yet, but I recorded some great audio of Burton and Sirtis tearing Baird to pieces for not knowing shit about the show and making a fool of himself with Nemesis.

das
Old 09-23-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone else bothered by the screenshots of the movie? With the black bars, they are 4:3, making them appear to be non-anamorphic. I hope this is a mistake, but with the non-anamorphic release of House just a month ago, you never know.
I never bought the original knowing this would come about sooner or later and will definitely pick this one up, assuming there isnt an issue with the above.
Old 09-23-05, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ENDContra
Anyone else bothered by the screenshots of the movie? With the black bars, they are 4:3, making them appear to be non-anamorphic. I hope this is a mistake, but with the non-anamorphic release of House just a month ago, you never know.
I never bought the original knowing this would come about sooner or later and will definitely pick this one up, assuming there isnt an issue with the above.
Those are the deleted scenes.
Old 09-23-05, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In defense of Baird, the real blame for Nemesis should go to John Logan, the writer - who claimed to be a huge fan of TREK, but obviously had no clue as to how to put together a good story with these characters. Amazing, since Logan is the same guy who wrote Gladiator, Aviator and The Last Samurai. Then again he also wrote 2002's Time Machine, so maybe he should just stay away from sci-fi.
Old 09-23-05, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very happy to see that the deleted scenes from the original release have been included here. Effectively completes the package. Afraid I was going to have to purchase the original for those scenes.

--THX
Old 09-23-05, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Amazing, since Logan is the same guy who wrote Gladiator, Aviator and The Last Samurai. Then again he also wrote 2002's Time Machine, so maybe he should just stay away from sci-fi.
What this says to me is that the guy is 1 for 5 (The Aviator).

Anyway, as far as Logan being a "huge fan" of Star Trek, judging by the results the only thing he's a huge fan of is The Wrath of Khan, which he shamelessly copied note for note.

I still like Nemesis about a thousand times more than Insurrection, but yeah so much potential unrealized.

Last edited by Josh Z; 09-23-05 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-23-05, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cleaver
According to IGN http://dvd.ign.com/articles/403/403755p1.html the director wasn't familiar with Star Trek, and according to IMDB got the job after recutting Paramount's Tomb Raider and MI2. He's British and it's quite possible he had never seen a episode of any Star Trek before he got the gig. The vibe is just off the whole movie, not enough tongue in cheek. It seems like every character likes every other character equally, like they have no prior relationships.
Yeah, I don't know why they decided to bring in people who had never worked on the series to write and direct the final Star Trek movie. This is supposed to be the finale, the swan song for these characters, and I think they needed someone at the helm who was familar with the characters. It may not be a guaranteed recipe for sucess, but I think they should have had Johnathon Frakes direct and Ronald Moore & Branon Braga write the screenplay. Nemesis needed to be able to bring together elements from the past and provide some closure for the characters, but it just doesn't do that.

Just look at Star Trek VI. First of all, they brought back Nicholas Meyer which was a good idea. In this movie we have the fall of the Klingon Empire, who'd been the main emenies during the movies, and signing of the peace treaty. Also Kirk's personal feud with the Klingon's finally comes to a head. And then we have Spock risking himself and the Enterprise to try to rescue Kirk. I think that was important because to Spock "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few...or the one." He sacrified himself for the Enterprise in Wrath of Khan, then Kirk turns around and risks himself and the Enterprise to save Spock in Search for Spock, which Spock didn't really understood. But then in Undiscovered Country, he risks everything to rescue Kirk, proving that maybe he does understand. In Nemsis, everything was too self-contained. Even the main enemy, Shinzon, was created especially for the movie. There were some minor references to outside events, but it just wasn't enough.

That being said, although I thought it was a lousy way to end the TNG franchise, I did enjoy the movie somewhat and will pick up the DVD. Plus, I've gotta complete my collection. I can't just leave it at 1-9. I passed on picking it up the first time around, so I won't have to double-dip. Still, I can't help but wish they do one last TNG movie and do it right. Ah, well.

"Second star to the right, and straight on 'till morning."
Old 09-24-05, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In defense of Baird, the real blame for Nemesis should go to John Logan, the writer - who claimed to be a huge fan of TREK, but obviously had no clue as to how to put together a good story with these characters. Amazing, since Logan is the same guy who wrote Gladiator, Aviator and The Last Samurai. Then again he also wrote 2002's Time Machine, so maybe he should just stay away from sci-fi.
Im not sure I agree. When I first saw this film I thought it was a mess. I've seen in now many times and can definitely see the story in there. When you take the deleted materials into account, its clear this film was butchered. There are very important scenes that define the screen play that were removed. I guess dune buggie rides were considered more important by someone....

This movie really needs a newly edited release. I'm conflicted about the order best to worst of the TNG star trek movies. They had a more "TV" feel to them, unlike the TOS movies. But I often put Nemesis, 2nd, after First Contact. It returns to the central theme of the original movies, growing old. The end of ones usefulness.

One can almost wonder, why did Paramount willfully commit franchise suicide..... there is lots of blame to go around, but somewhere in there, there is a good film.

Jim

PS, Totally agree on Time Machine. The 2002 version misses the pointin a HUGE way.

Last edited by FaustBos; 09-24-05 at 05:00 AM.
Old 09-24-05, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

held out on every trek movie for this...buying the uber box set and i'm done
Old 09-24-05, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
Yeah, I don't know why they decided to bring in people who had never worked on the series to write and direct the final Star Trek movie.
The feeling was that the franchise was growing stale and they needed some "fresh blood" to shake it up. It's a valid point, but it just didn't work out as well as they hoped.
Old 09-24-05, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I myself liked Nemesis, but agree that it should not be the last movie. When I asked Sirtis about 'one more movie' at Dragon Con she said 'there may be one, but I won't be in it'. I was confused if she meant they would not write her in or if she just wouldn't participate. Burton on the other hand said 'I hope so, we need one last great movie for us to go out on'. I liked him for saying that. They were both cool and it made me excited to see one more movie from TNG.
Old 09-24-05, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kerborus
I myself liked Nemesis, but agree that it should not be the last movie. When I asked Sirtis about 'one more movie' at Dragon Con she said 'there may be one, but I won't be in it'. I was confused if she meant they would not write her in or if she just wouldn't participate. Burton on the other hand said 'I hope so, we need one last great movie for us to go out on'. I liked him for saying that. They were both cool and it made me excited to see one more movie from TNG.
There won't be...the Star Trek script commissioned by Paramount features an all-new crew and takes place somewhere between the end of Enterprise and the beginning of TOS.
Old 09-24-05, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There won't be...the Star Trek script commissioned by Paramount features an all-new crew and takes place somewhere between the end of Enterprise and the beginning of TOS.
Just what we need, more futzing around with the established continuity.

"Hey, guess what, there was actually ANOTHER starship named Enterprise that we never told you about, and that all of the characters from future years have no knowledge of ever existing."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.