Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Oliver Stone's Alexander on DVD, when?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Oliver Stone's Alexander on DVD, when?

Almost everything else from the Thanksgiving to X-Mas is either getting released or at least has a date. I was wondering what the hold-up was with this one, as it's take was less than stellar? I have done searches on amazon and found nothing concerning a date.

My guess/hope is that Stone is doing an extensive commentary and/or special short where he will rant and rave about how the movie got a raw deal and launch a diatribe against "moral conservatives."

I just refuse to think they would wait so long to just release a bare-bones, unless they're so embarrassed by the movie they don't want it to see the light of day in any shape or form.
Old 04-05-05, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I thought he was working on a different version of the film because the other one was so horrible. I seem to remember reading that a while ago.
Old 04-05-05, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FinkPish
I thought he was working on a different version of the film because the other one was so horrible. I seem to remember reading that a while ago.
awesome. i can see it now. Alexander - Special Do-Over Edition.
Old 04-05-05, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FinkPish

Does he plan to release it theatrically first?
Old 04-05-05, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Does he plan to release it theatrically first?
regarding a so called "new and improved version" from what i hear, he would just delete the subplot of Alexander being gay.
Old 04-05-05, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
I've been looking forward to this one too ...of course if it's cut in any way, I won't be buying it.

I don't mind the longer wait (I saw it twice in theaters), and I've got a lot of catch-up viewing to do anyways.
Old 04-05-05, 05:34 PM
Banned

I'm waiting for the Alexander - Queer Eye for the Macedonian Guy Edition version before I buy.
Old 04-05-05, 05:44 PM

Being gay is a subplot?
Old 04-05-05, 05:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PotVsKtl
Being gay is a subplot?
Yes, it is, when you're trying to make a historical war epic.

Imagine if a portion of Saving Private Ryan was spent on the sexual preferences of Capt. Miller.
Old 04-05-05, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey

Imagine if a portion of Saving Private Ryan was spent on the sexual preferences of Capt. Miller.
Then the middle of SPR might not have been so boring.
Old 04-05-05, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Eliminating the gay subtext won't really make it a better movie, just less of a mess IMO.
Old 04-05-05, 09:43 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

I could have sworn I saw somewhere that this was due for release sometime in May (23rd?), unless they've 'pulled' it and will release it at a later date.
Old 04-05-05, 10:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DVDMagic
I could have sworn I saw somewhere that this was due for release sometime in May (23rd?), unless they've 'pulled' it and will release it at a later date.
DVDAficionado still has it listed as NOT ANNOUNCED
Old 04-05-05, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
regarding a so called "new and improved version" from what i hear, he would just delete the subplot of Alexander being gay.
Which would make the film all of ninety seconds shorter...
Old 04-06-05, 02:36 AM

wow..Oliver Stone selling out,never thought id see that happen
Old 04-06-05, 05:52 AM

I'll buy it when he puts those fisting scenes back in.

Definitely.
Old 04-06-05, 06:08 AM

I have had the info from WHV UK that it will be out on 07.07, and will be in 2 versions, the re-edited version on one DVD, or a 2 DVD with the theatrical and new cut
Old 04-06-05, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I personally liked this movie, it had some not so great parts but they can't all be Best Pictures...

Over at the Warner Brothers chat, someone asked about this release who was a fan. The reply was that it was being announced soon (next few weeks) and he'd be happy. To me that means 2-disc with original theatrical at least because I'm sure a fan wouldn't like a re-edited version and WB normally doesn't do shit like that.
Old 04-06-05, 09:12 AM

Full frontal nudity for Rosario Dawson made the movie very worthwhile, hopefully he can add some more nudity.
Old 04-06-05, 09:33 AM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
I've heard July 5th for the Region 1 release (but you didn't hear it from me
Old 04-06-05, 09:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mao
I've heard July 5th for the Region 1 release (but you didn't hear it from me
Huh? There's a R1 release date?
Old 04-06-05, 11:16 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Then the middle of SPR might not have been so boring.
Old 04-06-05, 11:57 AM
sdk

The swedish edition is out in two days. And i am gussing it is the same one we are getting in Norway.
Old 04-06-05, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
It's not a historical war epic, it's the story of a conqueror who led people to war. (There's only about 15 minutes of actual war stuff, and none of it conveys why he was a great general at all.)

That said, calling Alexander's homosexuality a subplot of that movie is being generous; there's one scene which suggested he might possibly be remotely sexually attracted to a man, and neither actor conveys it at all. Stone may have claimed that the gay angle was why nobody saw it, but I tend to think it was the sheer awfulness of the movie that kept audiences away. I won't get more specific, as I don't aim to threadcrap, but, if anything, the movie could do with more homosexuality just to break up the tedium. (Though not, hopefully, at the expense of the above-mentioned Rosario Dawson scene.)
Old 04-06-05, 02:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
It's not a historical war epic, it's the story of a conqueror who led people to war. (There's only about 15 minutes of actual war stuff, and none of it conveys why he was a great general at all.)
Well, then maybe that *is* why it sucked. As you could probably tell, I haven't seen it (who did?), but I can see why only 15 minutes of battle stuff would make a 3 hour movie a bit tedious and boring. Perhaps the trailer was misleading?

That said, calling Alexander's homosexuality a subplot of that movie is being generous; there's one scene which suggested he might possibly be remotely sexually attracted to a man, and neither actor conveys it at all. Stone may have claimed that the gay angle was why nobody saw it, but I tend to think it was the sheer awfulness of the movie that kept audiences away.
I think I said on another Alexander thread that I believe that's closer to the truth than Stone was willing to admit. If the homosexual nuance was onlu in there for a few seconds and Stone used that as an excuse for the box office failure of the film, then shame on him.

I won't get more specific, as I don't aim to threadcrap, but, if anything, the movie could do with more homosexuality just to break up the tedium. (Though not, hopefully, at the expense of the above-mentioned Rosario Dawson scene.)
Probably could have done with more epic battles. I enjoyed Troy not because it covered the entire story well, but because it came off as a historical war epic movie. If I wanted the Helen of Troy love story, I'd watch the 3-hour Universal miniseries.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.