DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   How nice would it be to have a DVD with TV's 1st Episodes? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/416530-how-nice-would-have-dvd-tvs-1st-episodes.html)

Buttmunker 03-31-05 09:43 AM

How nice would it be to have a DVD with TV's 1st Episodes?

A nice boxset (4-disc, nothing too big) compilation featuring nothing but the first episode of popular TV shows.

SRotblat 03-31-05 09:45 AM

pass

tonyc3742 03-31-05 09:55 AM

I would rather see more dvd releases of 'classic' tv shows, from the beginning of in the industry. Commercials, station promos, and all. We've got crap like the Apprentice being shoveled onto dvd now, but there's thousands of hours of classic tv history that are just gone. I read somewhere that 15 or so years of the Johnny Carson/Tonight show tapes were destroyed, so they're lost to the ages. A show like that is virtually a time capsule, and there's a lot of 'tv history' that will never be found again.

bboisvert 03-31-05 10:39 AM

Eh, I'd pass on this. I don't think there'd be much of an audience. If the shows are "popular", people would likely rather have the whole run than just the first episode.

And the set would have very low re-watch value.

Like dtcarson says, I'd rather see them focus on older shows (great live dramas from the golden age of TV, obscure pilots that never materialized into shows, etc.) and other cool things like that.

Walter Neff 03-31-05 10:41 AM

Wouldn't be interested for a couple reasons: 1) I don't like most television shows, so it's doubtful that I'd want to watch most of the episodes in the set. 2) First episodes are often the weakest, before the actors and writers really establish the show's mood and flow.

Sorry.

I wish they had included the first "Kojak" episode (TV movie, that is) on the recent Kojak set, though...

Falc04 03-31-05 10:59 AM

TV Land does this sort of thing during the new year (last episode of a show on new year's eve, and first episode on new year's day). It's fun to watch, but I don't think I'd want to own only the first show of a series.

Spiky 03-31-05 11:53 AM

Nope. This is why everyone hates "best of" DVD sets.

darkhawk 03-31-05 01:17 PM

i rather have the whole season sets

John Sinnott 03-31-05 01:37 PM

I'd pass too.

The Monkees 03-31-05 01:54 PM

That doesn't sound like a good idea at all, that would make me sad :(

Why do you want to make me soooooo sad???

chess 03-31-05 02:25 PM

There are a *few* shows that I'd like a best of set for (ST:TNG, X-files, Seinfeld), but first episodes (and pilots) are usually pretty crappy.

Randy Miller III 03-31-05 03:25 PM

That actually sounds pretty interesting if done right, but the rights issues pretty much kill any possibility.

Buttmunker 03-31-05 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
That actually sounds pretty interesting if done right, but the rights issues pretty much kill any possibility.

Wow! One post in the affirmative. Quickens my heart, it does.

I know that pilots are crappy - but they're also historical if a show goes on to become successful. The Season sets will always be there, but for example - I bought Different Strokes, and I think that first episode is far superior to the rest of the first season. I probably won't watch the season set in its entireity again, but I will watch that first episode.

AsmodeusVice 03-31-05 05:10 PM

I don't think that I could watch it for the simple fact that if it's a good show, I'll want more. I get hooked far too easy (that's why I don't have cable).

I just want BJ and the Bear dammit!!!

sracer 03-31-05 10:11 PM

Maybe not a disc full of "firsts"... but I'd like an inexpensive 2-disc "Best of" packed with episodes. Especially for many classic shows. Why? Because there are so many TV shows that I would love to have on disc, but not an entire season (too much)...or a single episode (too little).

I can't see buying an entire season set of many shows (eg. the Munsters)... but 2 discs packed with a smattering of episodes taken from all seasons would certainly "scratch that itch".

MovieMaster11 03-31-05 11:29 PM

"Buttmunker what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

:lol:

Buttmunker 04-01-05 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by MovieMaster11
"Buttmunker what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Well, if that's true then I guess you don't get out much. Cheeseneck.

nemein 04-01-05 06:57 AM

Personally I'd rather see customizable TV on DVD.... That is you contact the studio tell them which eps you'd like on the DVD they burn it and ship it out to you. I'm kind of surprised noone has done this yet actually, it seems like Paramount/Star Trek and Fox/X-Files would be naturals for this.

andicus 04-01-05 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by dtcarson
I would rather see more dvd releases of 'classic' tv shows, from the beginning of in the industry. Commercials, station promos, and all.

I completely agree. I'd love to see many of the shows 'exactly' as they were originally broadcast. IMHO, that would be a great feature for a boxset of classic TV. TV Land touched on the idea by having old commercials occasionally, but not to a great enough extent as to reproduce the original broadcast mood.

illennium 04-01-05 11:28 AM

It's a good idea for people like me, who don't watch TV shows other than on DVD. I buy 95% of TV shows blind based on critical reviews and resell the ones I don't like. Seeing the first episode of a number of shows could save me some purchases. I never would have bought Wonderfalls, Dead Like Me, or Nip/Tuck had I seen even the first half of the first episode of each prior to purchasing.

Bill Needle 04-01-05 11:33 AM

Acutally, other than some slight curiosity factor, the first episodes of popular shows are rarely as good as people remeber the show overall. Typically, popular shows hit their stride later on, and rewatching the first episode is almost like seeing something similar, but from a different series. Popular characters are not yet introduced, catch phrases don't exist yet, other characters take up screen time that were dropped soon afterwards or recast becasue they stunk, etc.

Walter Neff 04-02-05 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Acutally, other than some slight curiosity factor, the first episodes of popular shows are rarely as good as people remeber the show overall. Typically, popular shows hit their stride later on, and rewatching the first episode is almost like seeing something similar, but from a different series. Popular characters are not yet introduced, catch phrases don't exist yet, other characters take up screen time that were dropped soon afterwards or recast becasue they stunk, etc.

Chuck from "Happy Days" stunk? How dare you! He was my favorite!

mikewendt 04-02-05 11:23 AM

pass... i'd rather full seasons of the classics.

viking99 04-02-05 11:30 AM

A better idea might be for some of the major producers of season box sets to sell very cheap sample DVD's (for example, single episodes from each of five different series) and include a coupon that would allow the buyer to recoup the cost upon purchase of any of the box sets. In that case, the episodes would probably tend to be among the best in order to maximize the marketing value.

Bill Needle 04-02-05 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Walter Neff
Chuck from "Happy Days" stunk? How dare you! He was my favorite!

Which Chuck? -wink-

GMLSKIS 04-03-05 12:31 AM

It would be cool - I'd buy it !