DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Bewitched-will you buy/watch b&w or colorized box set? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/416305-bewitched-will-you-buy-watch-b-w-colorized-box-set.html)

Buford T Pusser 03-29-05 05:28 PM

Bewitched-will you buy/watch b&w or colorized box set?

From www.tvshowsondvd.com

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will bow the entire 36-episode, black-and-white first season of the 1960s TV series in a four-disc set June 21.

Sony will offer the series in its original black-and-white form, or with episodes that were colorized years ago for syndicated reruns. They will be available separately on DVD for $39.95 each.

Sony also is simultaneously releasing all 13 episodes of the 1977 spinoff series "Tabitha," starring Lisa Hartman and Robert Urich.

So you'll be given a choice on store shelves of buying either a "B&W" box set or a "Colorized" box set of Bewitched - The Complete 1st Season? Nice job, and a TV-on-DVD first!

Which way will you go? B&W or colorized?

I've never seen the colorized versions but I would stay with the original version in b&w.

TomOpus 03-29-05 05:35 PM

IF I decided to get it, it'd be the original b&w.

Oh, and Lisa Hartman used to give me teh hawt

http://www.bartcop.com/hartman.jpg :hump:

Wannabe 03-29-05 06:34 PM

Colorized! I can't believe that they've mucked around with those classic episodes. This is an outrage! This show was never meant to be viewed in color! I can't believe this. What next, colorized versions of Mr. Ed?!

Just kidding.

gjamesm 03-29-05 07:12 PM

I'll be buying both.

LasVegasMichael 03-29-05 07:16 PM

Just the original B&W. Much like It's a Wonderful Life, colorozing does nothing more then bastardize the original product. It also is very similar to the WS vs. FS debate.

Al Padrino 03-29-05 07:25 PM

Colorized versions of shows or movies that were originally made in B&W aren't anything more than options for people who have attention spans so short they can't watch something that's in B&W.

Cameron 03-29-05 08:29 PM

B&W for sure...

and just for refrence the original thread with news and info

Bewitched and I dream of Jeannie coming in 2005!!! (6/21)

Mike Lowrey 03-29-05 08:49 PM

Well, if I were to buy the set, I'd get the colorized version. If the rest are in color than why not the first.

It'd be different if the whole series was B&W.

JCFantasy23 03-29-05 08:56 PM

Not just the first season is in B&W.

That theyre coloring it is enraging. This is one of my top favorite shows of all time, and I have been waiting for this for years. If they didn't offer an B&W option, my anger would know no end.

I'll be picking this one up ASAP!

calhoun07 03-29-05 10:07 PM

Black and white, of course. That's the way I remember the show on Nick at Nite and that's the way I want to see it!

And I don't see how this is anything like the WS vs FS debate. That's a preference for how you want a movie to fill your screen (or not) and whether you care or not if the original aspect ratio is preserved. I am sure there are plenty of full screen people who don't go for colorizing.

I thought colorization of old black and white movies/TV shows was a fad of the 80s that died out. Ted Turner is still pushing this on people? WHY????

Eve Brown 03-29-05 10:12 PM

I want to buy both.

jpdude 03-29-05 10:16 PM

i want the original presentation, period.

nightwing82 03-29-05 11:25 PM

I will only purchase the B&W set as it was meant to be.

paulringodaman 03-29-05 11:45 PM

B&W only...What is was meant to be!

Cygnet74 03-30-05 03:00 AM

i hope the color seasons will be available in b&w.

Peep 03-30-05 04:03 AM

Hope they remastered the B&W versions.

shanester 03-30-05 04:10 AM

B&W is the only way to go for season 1

i think it was Ted Turner who also colorized the first season of Gilligan's Island on TBS a few years back and the picture looked awful :thmbsdwn:

Falc04 03-30-05 04:52 AM

B&W...I've seen the first season of 'I Dream Of Jeannie' colorized, and it just doesn't look right.

Cornelius1047 03-30-05 05:10 AM

Colorized and in widescreen.

K

Sir_Fireboard 03-30-05 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Cornelius1047

Damn straight!

LiquidSky 03-30-05 07:08 AM

B&W

Wannabe 03-30-05 08:15 AM

K

plus bass thumping 5.1 surround sound.

sracer 03-30-05 11:25 AM

Hmmm, it's not so cut-n-dry for me. It depends upon how the B&W version is mastered. If they create the B&W version by taking the colorized version of the original and then reducing color saturation, etc. Then the B&W version could actually look worse than the colorized version.

IF the B&W version is restored from the original B&W, then I'll go with the B&W version. Especially if it looks as good as LOST IN SPACE: SEASON 1.

djones6746 03-30-05 11:52 AM

B&W :)

Upper pylon 3 03-30-05 03:19 PM

Colorized for me.

drmoze 03-30-05 03:28 PM

I can't see not getting the colorized version. For the 'purists' who insist on the original b&w mode, simply turn the color off on your tv. You can have it both ways....

sracer 03-30-05 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by drmoze
I can't see not getting the colorized version. For the 'purists' who insist on the original b&w mode, simply turn the color off on your tv. You can have it both ways....

Ummm, no. That's not the same. Colorizing changes the relative contrast and brightness of the image. Turning the color down during playback will result in a skewed mess... higher contast for some parts and less contrast in others.

Mike Lowrey 03-30-05 04:43 PM

I think this argument is more related to the available audio tracks. That is for older movies that were filmed in mono, stereo, or stereo surround, to get all new re-mixed DD 5.1 or DTS sound tracks.

I think this also goes back to the basic argument of why DVD in the first place? I mean, isn't the DVD format supposed to be able to provide the best video and audio experience possible (on standard def sets).

So when an older movie gets remixed to 5.1 from 2.0, do people cry about the lack of the 2.0 tracks? No they don't. All the old James Bond flicks are getting restored and remixed to 5.1. Are some people going to complain when they don't include the original mono tracks? Or shall I say, would anybody still listen to the mono tracks? I know I won't. I hate mono...that's why they invented stereo...and then surround sound.

Is the colorization of older movies and TV shows different? Yeah, a bit, but the comparison remains valid.

The fact here is folks that with today's technology, they can realistically colorize any black and white source. We're not talking Ted Turner's pastel pallete, we're talking full digital processing. Hell, the entire movie "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" was shot in black and white, and then colorized in post to give it that distinct look from scene to scene.

Of course, with "Bewitched", at least they're offering two versions. The purists who want the original B&W can have it, and the rest of those who prefer color can have their's as well.

Cornelius1047 03-30-05 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Wannabe
plus bass thumping 5.1 surround sound.

Now you're just being silly.

K

Mike Lowrey 03-30-05 07:47 PM

Now you're just being silly.

K

Hey, why not...whenever Samantha does one of those little nose twitch thingies, you could get a nice big loud LFE thump.

mike45 03-30-05 08:24 PM

B&W

dglucas 03-30-05 09:51 PM

I will buy the colorized. if I wan't to see it in b/w. I can always turn off the color signal on the remote.

emhello 03-30-05 10:01 PM

I'll get at least 2 copies of each!

Daytripper 03-31-05 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Cygnet74
i hope the color seasons will be available in b&w.

Now that was hiliarious! Best laugh I've had on here for a long time. Thanks for that :)

sracer 03-31-05 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
I think this argument is more related to the available audio tracks. That is for older movies that were filmed in mono, stereo, or stereo surround, to get all new re-mixed DD 5.1 or DTS sound tracks.

I think this also goes back to the basic argument of why DVD in the first place? I mean, isn't the DVD format supposed to be able to provide the best video and audio experience possible (on standard def sets).

So when an older movie gets remixed to 5.1 from 2.0, do people cry about the lack of the 2.0 tracks? No they don't. All the old James Bond flicks are getting restored and remixed to 5.1. Are some people going to complain when they don't include the original mono tracks? Or shall I say, would anybody still listen to the mono tracks? I know I won't. I hate mono...that's why they invented stereo...and then surround sound.

Is the colorization of older movies and TV shows different? Yeah, a bit, but the comparison remains valid.

The fact here is folks that with today's technology, they can realistically colorize any black and white source. We're not talking Ted Turner's pastel pallete, we're talking full digital processing. Hell, the entire movie "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" was shot in black and white, and then colorized in post to give it that distinct look from scene to scene.

Of course, with "Bewitched", at least they're offering two versions. The purists who want the original B&W can have it, and the rest of those who prefer color can have their's as well.

here we go again. The debate over whether the DVD presentation of a film/show should change to fit the equipment is best suited for the trashcan... or another thread at the very least.

pagansoul 03-31-05 12:20 PM

If I get it. Odds are that I will not, it will be in Black/White version.

Zwerchfell 03-31-05 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by nightwing82
I will only purchase the B&W set as it was meant to be.

that's not true it wasn't meant to be B&W at the time there was no other option available. ;)

Falc04 03-31-05 02:31 PM

But I'm sure these colorized sets will include the versions done back in the early 90s. You know, where Sam's white teeth look green, and her blond hair looks gold. I'm betting that if people could get a preview of the colorized prints beforehand, they would buy the B&W ones instead.

bboisvert 03-31-05 02:49 PM

The fact here is folks that with today's technology, they can realistically colorize any black and white source.

Could you give me some examples? Seriously, I've never once seen something colorized that didn't look like complete crap.

The Monkees 03-31-05 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by gjamesm
I'll be buying both.

Why would you buy both?

I would stick with the B&W the original way it was shown on TV