DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Rescue Me - Season 1 DVDs due June 7, 2005 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/416093-rescue-me-season-1-dvds-due-june-7-2005-a.html)

Ravenous 03-28-05 02:17 PM

Rescue Me - Season 1 DVDs due June 7, 2005

from: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3175

The 2004 F/X series Rescue Me follows a group of New York City firefighters as they face acute danger on a daily basis while coping with personal issues and dealing with the grief surrounding colleagues fallen in action. Sony Pictures Home Entertainment is bringing all 13 episodes from The Complete 1st Season to DVD on June 7th, in a 3-DVD set running 594 minutes. Cost will be $49.95 SRP.

Thats one low SRP. Isnt the Shield $20 more? I hope theres bonus features on this one though. It doesnt look that way being only 3 discs. But the price seems about right and I think I'll pick it up.

Geofferson 03-28-05 02:24 PM

Was this show broadcast in 1.78:1? F/X (and USA) are the only channels I watch that I do not have an HD signal for.

If so, I may get this for the transfer alone. Plus, this show has a rather high replay value.

Red Dog 03-28-05 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Plus, this show has a rather high replay value.

Absolutely. More of a comedy for me.

Geofferson 03-31-05 03:24 PM

Cover art:

http://images.dvdempire.com/gen/movies/677222h.jpg

Ravenous 03-31-05 04:14 PM

NICE! I love the ensemble pic. Unlike The Shiled that just has Chicky pasted everywhere.

Dan1boy 03-31-05 04:26 PM

Cool, can't wait. I don't get F/X so I have to rent these amazing dramas like this and The Shield. Did 'Rescue Me' get renewed for another season?

Mike Lowrey 03-31-05 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dan1boy
Cool, can't wait. I don't get F/X so I have to rent these amazing dramas like this and The Shield. Did 'Rescue Me' get renewed for another season?

Supposed to be one. At least according to the comments at DVDAmswers.

Now then, I haven't seen this series either. Is it worth a blind buy for someone who enjoyed Ladder 49?

Mike Lowrey 03-31-05 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Was this show broadcast in 1.78:1? F/X (and USA) are the only channels I watch that I do not have an HD signal for.

If so, I may get this for the transfer alone. Plus, this show has a rather high replay value.

DVDAnswers shows its specs to be anamorphic widescreen and Dolby surround.

Geofferson 03-31-05 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey

Now then, I haven't seen this series either. Is it worth a blind buy for someone who enjoyed Ladder 49?

I believe it was confirmed for an August start date.

Yes - worth a blind buy! It is similar in many ways (ensemble piece) that is well-written, well-acted and has strong storylines.

Geofferson 03-31-05 04:58 PM

DVDAnswers shows its specs to be anamorphic widescreen and Dolby surround.

Nice! :up:

Ravenous 04-04-05 02:58 PM

Heres the Bonus stuff from http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3208:

Commentary for First and Last Episodes With Show Creators Denis Leary and Peter Tolan
Blooper Reel
Five Behind-the-Scenes Featurettes
Deleted Scenes
Sneak Peek at Season Two

Not too bad, but Damn I wish every episode had commentary. At least 5 eps should have it (like The Job)!

Ravenous 04-04-05 02:59 PM

I saw its worth a blind buy, and probably better than Ladder 49. The stories are more fun, jokes are funnier, and theres just more cussing in this one :) Naturally, L49 has the better effects though.

Geofferson 04-04-05 03:45 PM

Was hoping for a cast commentary on an episode or two, but those special features will suffice.

Chew 04-05-05 06:48 AM

Great news :up:

I'm more eagerly awaiting the retun of this show over Nip/Tuck.

Ravenous 06-19-05 12:35 PM

So did anyone pick this up? I finally got it for $23 (BB had it for $40 release week! Thats insane) and its a damn good set.

The picture is amazing. It looks just like a movie and probably better than most season sets DVDs Ive seen; even better than the first few Soprano seasons. Season 2 starts Teusday so I hope to see these 13 beforehand.

Anyone on the fence on this set should really pick it up; totally worth it.

bjh_18 06-19-05 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ravenous
So did anyone pick this up? I finally got it for $23 (BB had it for $40 release week! Thats insane) and its a damn good set.

Anyone on the fence on this set should really pick it up; totally worth it.

If I could find it for $23, I'd definately pick it up. But most of the prices I've seen are in the $40 range, and while I enjoy the show, that's a bit more than I'm willing to shell out for it right now.

lwhy? 06-19-05 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by bjh_18
If I could find it for $23, I'd definately pick it up. But most of the prices I've seen are in the $40 range, and while I enjoy the show, that's a bit more than I'm willing to shell out for it right now.

You can get it for 27.88 during the ddd 20% off sale now.

PopcornTreeCt 06-19-05 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by lwhy?

Yup, I bought it!

bjh_18 06-19-05 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by lwhy?

Hmm, good call.

Eric F 06-19-05 10:16 PM

Shows like this can't make me wait for HD DVD. It also makes it very hard not to purchase it on normal DVD.

RyoHazuki 06-19-05 10:42 PM

I bought it but I've never seen it. I hope its good.

Saxofonix 06-20-05 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
I bought it but I've never seen it. I hope its good.

I'd rate it amongst the very best TV series I've seen.
Honestly, up there close to Six Feet Under, and The Sopranos.

Gil Jawetz 06-20-05 09:17 AM

I've been working through the reruns on sunday nights (actually, I've been DVRing them) so I can catch up for S2. My GF, who watched a little of episode 3 with me a while back, was like "this sucks." The DVDs just arrived and I convinced her to start from the beginning, since this show really does build and build it's characters over time. Now she's hooked and wants to marathon the entire first season in time to watch S2. Kickass. It's not perfect (some of the stuff is too ridiculous or preachy and some of the domestic stuff is ho-hum) but overall this is one of the best shows I've seen in years.

lotsofdvds 06-20-05 09:20 AM

Agreed. What a great show. I'm glad I got these discs so I can be ready for Season Two on Tuesday. :up:

Peep 06-20-05 01:26 PM

Got it but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Still deciding if I want to hold off on watching the new episodes (starting tomorrow) until I rewatch season 1. Love this show!!