Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Problems with Farscape Starburst Ed. Season 1 Vol 3?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 03-26-05, 08:04 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Has anyone else had a problem with this release? I'm on disc 1, side A, and when I put the disc in my player it goes through the anime preview and then shuts down without going to the menu, unless I press the "menu" button on my remote before the preview is done.

Also, in the second episode ("A Human Reaction"), 5th chapter, the disc freezes and there are aprox. two minutes I can't watch no matter how I reverse/ff, etc.

I hope the rest of the disc isn't like this.
Old 03-26-05, 08:39 PM

I had the same problem with the discs stopping after the previews. Skipping straight to the menu also worked for me. I didn't have any freezing problems, though, so I'm guessing that's a problem with your disc.
Old 03-26-05, 08:43 PM
Enormous Genitals

Yeah, it's happening in the third episode as well. It took me long enough to even find this in the stores, I'm afraid if I return it I won't get another one for weeks.

I'll see if it's only this side of the disc. If so, Ill live with it. It seems to be playing okay now.
Old 03-26-05, 08:46 PM
Banned

Umm...yeah, can't remember exactly, but I did have some problems like this. Skipping the anime intro did the trick though. I'd have to watch the whole thing again to remember all what happened and where. Seems like I had a near freeze up as well. Don't remember what episode though. Seems like it was one of the Scorpius arc episodes.

Try cleaning the disc with alcohol first before you attempt to return it. Seems like a lot of discs recently are sent out with a slight film on them that the lasers have a difficult time reading through at times. Alcohol will dissolve any such film that is present.

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 03-26-05 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-26-05, 09:50 PM

I had problems with the first starburst edition and went through 2 returns before I got a good one! I just got my starburst vol3 today and will check it out!

Take care all!!
Old 03-27-05, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It could either be a bad disc or a player compatibility issue.

I'd try it out on a different player.
Old 03-27-05, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just bought volumes 2 and 3 this weekend, so I will have to check this out.

On a side note, I am about halfway through volume 1 (the 1st time I've ever seen Farscape ) and have a question:

Do these discs have any special features? I've heard that there are other versions available...
Old 03-27-05, 11:47 AM
Enormous Genitals

@ Bcolon
Old 03-27-05, 02:55 PM

Unfortunately yes. In "Nerve" my Toshiba SD-4900 wouldn't play one of the chapters no matter what. I tried on an older Toshiba and had no problems whatsoever.
Old 03-27-05, 08:38 PM

As I mentioned in the other current Farscape thread, I've had problems with the episode "Family Ties." Right after the credits, starting in the scene onboard the Peacekeeper ship the image skips and breaks up. Jumping ahead to the next chapter and everything is fine but still. I've tried it on 3 different players, same problem.
Old 03-27-05, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bcolon
On a side note, I am about halfway through volume 1 (the 1st time I've ever seen Farscape ) and have a question:

Do these discs have any special features? I've heard that there are other versions available...
LMFAO.
Old 04-03-05, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just finished up the first season tonight and the only problem I had was the main menu not booting after the anime preview. No skipping or freexing during any of the episodes.

Great series! I can't believe I waited this long to check it out.
Old 04-03-05, 09:51 AM

I'm having trouble with the third collection as well. Disc 1 Side A about 26 minutes into the second ep, it has trouble reading and usually freezes, if I skip ahead to 30 minutes in, it will continue to play to the end. Both discs have other spots where it will freeze for a second, and it's not a layer change.