DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   ? release of Stings "Bring on the Night"? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/415836-release-stings-bring-night.html)

smurr5 03-26-05 06:44 AM

? release of Stings "Bring on the Night"?

I thought I read here recently that "Bring on the night" was to be released at the end of this month? Anyone have any further info on this title?
thanks,
smurr

marty888 03-26-05 07:14 AM

Hmmmm ... Amazon seems to be the only place around that still thinks it's being released on Match 29:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...089339-7143114

... nobody else even seems to have it listed.

Not good ....

Decker 03-26-05 10:05 AM

It's listed on sting's website. It has a 3/29 release date. It has a 5.1 surround track, a new high-def transfer and comes with videos for "Bring On The Night", "If You Love Somebody Set Them Free" and "Russians" as well as the trailers and radio spots. So I guess it's still coming out.

mcarver 03-26-05 02:42 PM

Have no fear, it is coming and should be released on time..... Suppliers already have their copies to send to the vendors. How the rest of the online vendors seem to have msised this I don't know...

snoopygirl 03-26-05 08:41 PM

I was going through a pile of tapes just last week and wondered why this wasn't on DVD yet.... I'm glad I peeked in here tonight.

It also made the perfect item to order with a book I've been wanting from Amazon (Prime, by Poppy Z. Brite). I like the Super Saver Shipping because, well, I'm poor! This just squeaked over the limit by 40-ish cents :D

hobbes4444 03-28-05 03:15 PM

best buy has it in their weekly ad, but no price IIRC. also listed a remastered 2 cd soundtrack. no bonus tracks though.

emhello 03-28-05 03:35 PM

Where are all the live Police concerts???

Dansize 03-28-05 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by hobbes4444
best buy has it in their weekly ad, but no price IIRC. also listed a remastered 2 cd soundtrack. no bonus tracks though.

It was advertised next to a title for $9.99 so I just assumed it would be that price (suprised, but pleased).

Just verified this is the price they have it listed for on their website as well.

Glad to finally have this one back in the collection. I sold of the laserdisc version a few years back at about $140 as it was unavailable on any format at the time.

emhello 03-29-05 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by emhello
Where are all the live Police concerts???

???

Chew 03-29-05 06:57 AM

Ordered this from BB online for $9.99. :up:

Haven't seen it in a while and can't wait to check out the DTS.

Decker 03-30-05 01:12 AM

Picked it up tonight at BB for $9.99. It sounds GREAT in DTS. Very rich and bassy. Unfortunately, the video isn't so amazing. It is a 20 year old documentary and while it's probably as good as it will ever look, it's still grainy and there are specks of dust here and there. It's not too bad, though. The three bonus videos are FS and stereo only (but give A&M credit for reporting that on the back cover). Overall, it's a nice package and a deal at that price.
I haven't seen this film since I was in college 18 years ago or so. I had forgotten that the awesome version of the title song isn't included in the film, just a rough rehersal. Bummer since the bonus video version is abridged and ultra-cheesy.

Joshua B 05-09-05 02:14 PM

I also bought a copy. I'm fine with the video quality except for the dirt specs at the opening. The video of "Bring on the Night" actually has no trace of the "Bring on the Night" portion of the song--it's all "When the World is Running Down."

emhello 05-09-05 07:15 PM

Does this film contain a full concert or just a few live songs with interspersed documentary? Was debating on getting it, but I don't like broken up concerts. Thanks.

Joshua B 05-09-05 10:23 PM

Not a full concert
Concert footage, rehearsal footage, and other "behind the scenes" footage like Sting's son being born

emhello 05-09-05 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Joshua B
Not a full concert
Concert footage, rehearsal footage, and other "behind the scenes" footage like Sting's son being born

Thanks, approx. how much concert footage would you guess (minutes)?

rdclark 05-10-05 10:40 AM

The concert is covered over perhaps 45 minutes during the last half of the film.

Remember that this documentary follows the formation of the band, their rehearsals for the debut concert, and the concert itself. The goal of the filmmaker was to provide insight into the musicians' feelings about each other and their music, about the cultural differences between a wealthy English pop star and a bunch of American jazz musicians (and how music both did and didn't bridge the gap), and about the process of music itself.

The concert does include some complete performances, but even more interesting are the ones that cut back to the beginnings of the arrangement -- sometimes Sting alone at the keyboard, walking another musician through the changes -- then cutting to a rehearsal sequence where some detail or nuance is being worked out -- and then back to the concert and the song being performed.

IMO, this is among the finest films about music ever made. It's not a concert film, and it's not just some lame "making of" documentary. It's a work of art in its own right.

RichC