Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Jaws rerelease 6/14/05 (with mono audio track included)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Jaws rerelease 6/14/05 (with mono audio track included)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-05, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Well Mrs. Pusser picked it up at Costco today and didn't give it to me. "I decided to throw it in with your Father's Day presents."
Old 06-15-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
I'm surprised there haven't been more people chirping in about how the mono track sounds. It seemed to be a deal-breaker for a lot of people on the previous release and now that it's on the new release.... nada about it.
Old 06-15-05, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mdc3000
Spielberg doesn't do commentaies, but he probably also DOESN'T want anyone else talking about the film and demystifying them...and if I was a movie studio, last person I'd want to piss off would be Spielberg, especially when such a minority of consumers even care about audio commentaries.

MATT
Senor Spielberg needs to get over himself. He is only one of many cast and crew members that worked on the film. He didn't write the original story, didn't write the screenplay, didn't act in any scenes that I can recall (besides an anonymous beach employee), didn't create the memorable music, didn't engineer the mechanical shark, etc., etc., etc. He was the director. True he did a good job, but it was only one of many jobs necessary to make it a good movie. The studio makes the decision of what to put on the merchandise it sells to consumers, not the grip, not the guy who got the coffee on the set, and not the director.

Plus, as others have astutely pointed out, Spielberg most certainly watches the commentaries of other films, and Jaws is good but its not some sacred relic. Repeat after me Steven, "It's only a movie. It's only a movie..."

And last I heard, this guy already owns his own production company--Dreamworks--, so why would Universal cowtow to a former employee, now competitor?

Last edited by gcbma; 06-15-05 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-15-05, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm sure the studio knows they aren't going to sell anymore discs if there's a commentary and it could cause lots of issues in the future if he's pissed. POWER!
Old 07-30-05, 11:24 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just an FYI...

All those who are annoyed about not having the trailers on the new release, please email me. I have a solution.
Old 07-30-05, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TomOpus
I'm surprised there haven't been more people chirping in about how the mono track sounds. It seemed to be a deal-breaker for a lot of people on the previous release and now that it's on the new release.... nada about it.
Sounded fine to me. I still have my LD version and didn't notice any major differences between the two (though I'm sure the sound on the LD is better as LD sound almost always seems to be). If the mono track had been screwed up we would have been talking about it. I definitely am thrilled to have it as Jaws is a text book example of how recreating sound effects to make a mono track into a DD5.1 track can be a complete nightmare.

Originally Posted by gcbma
And last I heard, this guy already owns his own production company--Dreamworks--, so why would Universal cowtow to a former employee, now competitor?
I believe Universal has a very friendly relationship with Dreamworks. I don't see them benefiting in any way by pissing off Spielberg.

Last edited by darkside; 07-30-05 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-30-05, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yah, and seeing how he has the rights to movies like schindler's list and E.T. Universal has much to gain from him.

i like the mono track