Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Jaws rerelease 6/14/05 (with mono audio track included)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Jaws rerelease 6/14/05 (with mono audio track included)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-05, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, can anyone confirm that there is nothing on the original DVD release that's not been carried over? Trailers, deleted scenes, etc.???
Old 06-14-05, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Spielberg doesn't do commentaies, but he probably also DOESN'T want anyone else talking about the film and demystifying them...and if I was a movie studio, last person I'd want to piss off would be Spielberg, especially when such a minority of consumers even care about audio commentaries.

MATT
Old 06-14-05, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by man*machine
So, can anyone confirm that there is nothing on the original DVD release that's not been carried over? Trailers, deleted scenes, etc.???
It's been reported widely that the film trailers have not been carried over.
Old 06-14-05, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by ctyankee
It's been reported widely that the film trailers have not been carried over.
Really? Wow, then this is just another case where I'm glad I held on to the original disc instead of selling it off in anticipation of this re-release. Do you think the studios purposefully leave off stuff from prior releases so that collectors keep both and the used market isn't flooded with earlier copies - thus cutting in on the profits from the reisuue?
Old 06-14-05, 08:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never really had any desire to get JAWS on DVD but lately I've been thinking of it...

Is the video and audio transfer supposed to be as good as the 25th edition? If so...I'm gonna pick this movie up tomorrow I think.

Last edited by Masamune; 06-14-05 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-14-05, 08:22 PM
Banned

I can confirm a few things...

1) that "on the set" with spielberg is awesome...including the fact that it's all centered around a scene that was cut and re-shot.

2) the quality on the "making of" is directly from the laserdisc...as are all the rest of the supplements, oddly enough. I don't remember them looking that way on the old disc.

3) all of the deleted scenes/outtakes are now included from the laserdisc set.

so it seems like all they did was take everything that should have been done the first time around and do it this time.
Old 06-14-05, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by man*machine
Really? Wow, then this is just another case where I'm glad I held on to the original disc instead of selling it off in anticipation of this re-release. Do you think the studios purposefully leave off stuff from prior releases so that collectors keep both and the used market isn't flooded with earlier copies - thus cutting in on the profits from the reisuue?
That logic doesn't hold up. Whether the older DVD is in your hands or someone else's doesn't matter, it is the decision of the person with the DVD to double dip or not that controls a certain percent of the sales. Naturally the person that doesn't have the DVD (either because they unloaded it or never had it) has a much easier decision to make.

It has been reported that trailers are being cut from DVDs because everyone now has their hands in the DVD cookie jar. This means that if the DVD has any temp music, voice-over work, actors, extras, etc. in them they might owe them some money. In this case, I have no idea what the problem may be other than lawyers concerned about getting sued or having to shell out some money to someone.

It's not just Universal, it's happening with other studios too.
Old 06-14-05, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc

Other "nitpick"...the second disc is SINGLE layered...which totally sucks. 2 hours PLUS all crammed onto a single layer disc.
This also sucks because they could have included the content from the 25th Anniversary Edition that was left out here. If it was cut due to space, all they had to do was add the second layer. Then the trailers and production notes and so forth could have found a happy new home. Too bad. I don't know who makes these decisions, but this one doesn't make sense.

--THX
Old 06-14-05, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I would think they do cut a bit of the stuff so the double dippers will hang onto their copies.
Old 06-14-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Artman

Only complaint is that glue on the back. I don't know if I want to risk getting it off with water...if it'll even come off. (i just stuck the sheet back on)
I don't understand, why is everyone taking the sheet off at all? It's part of the packaging. I'm not particularly in favor of a paper sheet rather than printing the content of the sheet directly onto the packaging itself, but they do what they do. Guess I'm not into modifying my cases like that.

--THX
Old 06-14-05, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I always leave the sheets on.
Old 06-14-05, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
I don't understand, why is everyone taking the sheet off at all? It's part of the packaging.
I certainly understand that there are people who keep this stuff... but IMO, this isn't worth hanging onto. Its sole purpose is to inform customers at retail what is on the disc. Once the DVD is opened and part of my collection, it isn't needed any more. I toss it.

I guess my issue is that Universal assumes I will toss it (since they attach it with cheap glue and don't make it 'part' of the box)... yet they've attached it with something that remains on the box after. Annoying.
Old 06-14-05, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I usually take those slips off, fold them, and put them inside the case.

DJ
Old 06-15-05, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ctyankee

It's not just that Spielberg doesn't do commentaries ... it's that he doesn't let anyone else do them either. Big difference. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but The Terminal, Catch Me if you Can, Minority Report, A.I., Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List, Jurassic Park ... no feature commentary from anyone .

So, while we all appreciate Spielberg's work, it strikes me that speech has been effectively muzzled. After all, I'm sure that studios would love to put on a commentary from someone involved in some of these films or film expert commentary etc.
Maybe they could get Spielberg's non-union Mexican equivalent, Senor Spielbergo.

--THX
Old 06-15-05, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The irony about Spielberg not doing commentaries is how he's said on numerous occasions how he's learned so much from commentaries on laserdiscs.
Old 06-15-05, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
The irony about Spielberg not doing commentaries is how he's said on numerous occasions how he's learned so much from commentaries on laserdiscs.
On the Lawrence of Arabia disc he was gushing about the personal commentary he got during the restoration. You'd think being a fan of the medium, he'd lay down a track.
Old 06-15-05, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Bingo.
Old 06-15-05, 12:18 PM

So.....transfer same or no? =p
Old 06-15-05, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Masamune
So.....transfer same or no? =p
DVDBeaver says that it seems to be the same transfer:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare6/jaws.htm
Old 06-15-05, 01:24 PM

Yea thanks! I actually just found a site that said it's the same so I'm happy. I'll def pick it up today..
Old 06-15-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
A DIFFERENT EFFFECTS TRACK WAS CREATED FOR THIS MIX. IT'S NOT JUST A DIFFERENT MIX.

THIS HORSE HAS BEEN BEATEN TO DEATH. Go read some other threads about it.

I have a "state of the art" 7.1 system and I want the original mono mix. Period.
Thanks digital and all -- I just got this release yesterday and I too have a "state of the art" 7.1 system and would have never even thought about watching the film with the mono track and would have just mindlessly gone for the DTS 5.1 if it wasn't for this thread.

For those that seem to not understand, it's really the same thing as people that own 4:3 TVs and insist on buying "Full Frame" DVDs -- they're letting their equipment dictate their home theatrical experience rather than trying to re-create the original theatrical experience.
Old 06-15-05, 02:07 PM

As nice as the mono track must be, sorry I'm gonna use the 5.1 I didn't spend money on my system to not use the other speakers..
Old 06-15-05, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As nice as the mono track must be, sorry I'm gonna use the 5.1 I didn't spend money on my system to not use the other speakers..
thats almost like saying "i paid x amounts of dollars to have my screen filled, and damnit, i want full screen". does that mean, if given the chance, you'd watch a 5.1 remix of citizen kane.
Old 06-15-05, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Then you will go through life missing out on a lot of great films, unfortunately.

Half the movies I own don't "use" the other speakers in my setup. They've yet to complain. (Although the left rear one is starting to get a little restless.)
Old 06-15-05, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
thats almost like saying "i paid x amounts of dollars to have my screen filled, and damnit, i want full screen". does that mean, if given the chance, you'd watch a 5.1 remix of citizen kane.
Or for that matter, do you have to watch gone with the wind stretched on your 16:9 RPTV?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.