Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Jaws rerelease 6/14/05 (with mono audio track included)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Jaws rerelease 6/14/05 (with mono audio track included)

Old 05-18-05, 02:23 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you guys are insane
Old 05-18-05, 02:50 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by vegasbaby
you guys are insane

As I just noted, other members are intersted in this topic and have the right to discuss it without having to endure threadcraps. I ask that you too remove yourself from this discussion.
Old 05-18-05, 03:01 PM

I'll buy this edition, the extras look to be of some substance. I'll check out that docu as well. The curse of the double dip only applies to me on a few select titles that I feel are worthy, and Jaws is one of them. The same way I have purchased (and will purchase) Star Wars over and over and over...
Old 05-18-05, 04:05 PM

I'll buy this version because the previous DVD release did a bad job re-mixing the sound effects. If you want a classic example, just listen to the sound when Roy Scheider shoots the shark and he explodes...In the original theatrical release it sounded like a really cool bullet ricochet before the explosion, however, in the 5.1 remix it sounded like glass breaking! GLASS BREAKING! What kind of idiot decided that sounded like a bullet hitting an air tank causing it to blowup? Man oh man, I can't wait to have this, the PROPER release of this classic.
Old 05-18-05, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does anybody know why the new documentary wasn't made earlier so it could be included on the dvd that's coming out in June? What exactly are the plans for this new doc? Is it going to be released in theaters, will it get its own dvd or will it be aired on the biography channel or what's the deal? I mean if you're gonna make a Jaws documentary for the first time in God knows how many years wouldn't it make sense to have it done so it could be included on the supposed end-all-be-all 30th anniversary dvd?
Old 05-18-05, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think they just wanted a new doc for the big party they are throwing on the beach. Its a good way to sell yet another dvd....

and everyone is up in arms about the mono track but no love for the loss of teeth...
Old 05-18-05, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
i think they just wanted a new doc for the big party they are throwing on the beach. Its a good way to sell yet another dvd....

and everyone is up in arms about the mono track but no love for the loss of teeth...
So, it's for that Jawsfest deal huh?
Old 05-18-05, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The new documentary is a low-budget, independent production. That is, Spielberg didn't finance it, nor did Universal. It wasn't part of the plans for the DVD because no one involved in the DVD is involved in making it.

It'll likely get a separate release, assuming it is as good as the hype.
Old 06-14-05, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

a bump for todays release
Old 06-14-05, 11:25 AM

Do all versions of the DVD come with the booklet?
Old 06-14-05, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by nowayjesus
Do all versions of the DVD come with the booklet?
Yes, and it's actually a pretty nice little booklet of photos and captions. It does say "limited edition" booklet though.
Old 06-14-05, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giles
by the way you are calling the docu a "low budget independent production" kind of puts it down in a negative way - when it really isn't. It's written produced and directed by the great Laurent Bouzereau - who's done alot of great DVD supplements and is a notable film historian. I might be wrong but Universal was definately part of it, because it was commissioned for the deluxe laserdisc edition.
He's talking about a NEW documentary that is in production NOW...not the one included on the DVD.

MATT
Old 06-14-05, 12:44 PM

http://www.sharkisstillworking.com/default.asp
Old 06-14-05, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bought this today, had a few comments:

the small book is very nice, it's well done, you can tell somebody put a lot of time designing it... BUT, it's mostly just stills and quotes from the movie. The semi-opaque sheets (1st and last pages) are pretty cool.

Cameron, having seen the DVD cover, I now agree with you, the "new" shark below the swimmer doesn't look right... it is definitely another shark drawn, because it's shaped/colored differently, it's not just teeth differences. Why did they change that?? anyways... good call on that earlier.

Definitely a great bargain at $15!
Old 06-14-05, 01:47 PM

I also bought it today. I removed the thin paper sheet on the back, wish I hadn't now. The back now has a huge X on it with blue and white junk on it. It looks horrible. Any cleanup ideas?
Old 06-14-05, 02:29 PM
Banned

Actually...the quotes in the book are either from the movie or directly from the documentary which, I guess, is a little disappointing. Some pics in there that I hadn't seen before which is nice.

Other "nitpick"...the second disc is SINGLE layered...which totally sucks. 2 hours PLUS all crammed onto a single layer disc.
Old 06-14-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Decided to pick this one up today, rather than waiting for a certain online sale. Since it comes in a slipcase, I figured it was worth the extra bucks to make sure I got a pristine copy.

Only complaint is that glue on the back. I don't know if I want to risk getting it off with water...if it'll even come off. (i just stuck the sheet back on)
Old 06-14-05, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

thanks shagman....it just has seemeed right to me....someone will probably make me a custom cover with like 234 teeth just because....
Old 06-14-05, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Artman
Only complaint is that glue on the back. I don't know if I want to risk getting it off with water...if it'll even come off. (i just stuck the sheet back on)
Yeah, what the hell with the 'glue X' that's left on the case? I'm going to try a light application of Goo Gone tonight.
Old 06-14-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was able to rub at the glue with my finger and get it off pretty well with a little friction. Weird glue I know. Why do they have to be different over at Universal?
Old 06-14-05, 04:11 PM
Banned

What the hell are you guys talking about??? I opened mine with no problem.
Old 06-14-05, 04:26 PM

Yet another so-called special edition from Universal of this film and NO COMMENTARY? Nowadays that's equivalent to a car maker making the brilliant marketing decision to design a nice car with leather seats, peppy performance, and a beautiful coat of pain, yet refusing to equip it with A/C. Hello, if you haven't realized it yet, commentaries on classic films is standard equipment on DVDs, especially for special editions of landmark films. The way I look at it, if the studio feels a film is not worthy of a commentary, then it's certainly not good enough for me to buy. The consumer sheep that bleet Spielberg's pretentious mantra of "he doesn't do commentaries" can double- and triple-dip, ad infinitum, but I'll continue to exercise the power of the purse and borrow from the library whatever is not up to par for my personal library.

Last edited by gcbma; 06-14-05 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-14-05, 04:34 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you'd like, I can stop by your house and throw out random trivia while you're watching it...
Old 06-14-05, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
What the hell are you guys talking about??? I opened mine with no problem.
It's not an issue of opening. The little 'card' that's attached to the back uses a glue that leaves a residue on the cardboard slipcase once removed.

Originally Posted by gcbma
The consumer sheep that bleet Spielberg's pretentious mantra of "he doesn't do commentaries" can double- and triple-dip, ad infinitum...
Well, um... he doesn't do commentaries. Does that make me a sheep?

He doesn't like doing commentaries, he's never done a commentary. I can't think of a clever animal analogy, but you're definitely a little confused if you were honestly expecting one on this. He Does Not Do Them. He didn't on laserdisc, he doesn't on DVD. End of story.

What he HAS provided is a fantastic, in-depth documentary that is longer than the film itself. I think that's a pretty decent compromise. Doesn't seem "pretentious" at all to me, actually.

(bleet bleet)
Old 06-14-05, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Well, um... he doesn't do commentaries. Does that make me a sheep?

He doesn't like doing commentaries, he's never done a commentary. I can't think of a clever animal analogy, but you're definitely a little confused if you were honestly expecting one on this. He Does Not Do Them. He didn't on laserdisc, he doesn't on DVD. End of story.

What he HAS provided is a fantastic, in-depth documentary that is longer than the film itself. I think that's a pretty decent compromise. Doesn't seem "pretentious" at all to me, actually.

(bleet bleet)
Well, I think we can stay away from the animal references but I think gcbma has a point.

It's not just that Spielberg doesn't do commentaries ... it's that he doesn't let anyone else do them either. Big difference. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but The Terminal, Catch Me if you Can, Minority Report, A.I., Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List, Jurassic Park ... no feature commentary from anyone .

So, while we all appreciate Spielberg's work, it strikes me that speech has been effectively muzzled. After all, I'm sure that studios would love to put on a commentary from someone involved in some of these films or film expert commentary etc.

And getting a 2 hour featurette is nice but let's face it, that's what we should have got the first time along with the original mono track. It's the same thing as paying money for someone to build your house and them coming back later and saying "hey, pay me more and I'll do a better job."

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.