Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Jaws rerelease 6/14/05 (with mono audio track included)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Jaws rerelease 6/14/05 (with mono audio track included)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-05, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didn't the shorter doc have some different footage though....
Old 04-18-05, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by cracksky

Here's part of an ad showing the specs confirming the two-hour documentary and original mono soundtrack inclusion.

Freakin' awesome! Advertising the "Original Theatrical Mono" track looks really nice. Certainly gives me hope that it is actually what it appears to be. And the two-hour version of The Making of Jaws is a wish come true. Totally cool!

The teeth look just fine to me. Maybe some have been added or removed or whatever. Doesn't matter. The shark looks different from its earliest incarnations, but still sufficiently menacing. The artwork has always been essentially the same, though. I think the cover art for the 30th Anniversary Edition is very well done. Has a less-is-more feel to it. Nicely composed.

But a holographic cover inset would have been a great touch. Could have given the water some depth, and brought the skinny dipper and the shark more to the forefront.

The skinny dipper has been covered by agitated water, as observed by Julie Walker. I have Peter Benchley's novel, and the cover displays the girl in her full glory. Her body is more exposed than she is on the original poster. I think the girl has always been more obscured for all home video releases than she was on the novel.

Trivia: What was the name of the skinny dipper?

--THX
Old 04-18-05, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
"What's your name?"
"Chrissie!"
Old 04-18-05, 10:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cameron
Didn't the shorter doc have some different footage though....
Supposedly. I've never watched it. I figured it was just shorter.
Old 04-18-05, 10:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
That ad close-up looks fake, but I'm hoping I'm wrong...
It's real. Here's the full ad where it came from (Video Business).

Old 04-20-05, 10:52 PM

Maybe they wanted to tone down the nudity from the original poster. If you look close, you can see nipple (I have a BIG imagination!)
Old 05-18-05, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

from AICN

Clips online for the JAWS doco THE SHARK IS STILL WORKING, plus Spielberg and Williams join in on the fun!!!
Y'all know me. Know how I earn a livin'... Quint here with an update on that documentary on JAWS called THE SHARK IS STILL WORKING I told you folks about a few weeks ago. It seems the filmmakers got their Great White they were hunting for.

I'm hearing they talked with Steven Spielberg for 2 hours about JAWS, going over tons of new material not out in other interviews and documentaries. I am psyched to see this chat. For someone who is obsessed with JAWS this documentary sounds like a dream come true.
Not only did they corner Spielberg, but it seems Spielberg surprised them with a special guest who was working on WOTW down the hall...

Now they have the big dogs (John Williams, Roy Scheider, Steven Spielberg) taking a nostalgic look back at this masterpiece of cinema. Considering that Spielberg seems to dislike the idea of Director's Commentary tracks, this interview could be the closest we'll get to a commentary from him on my favorite movie. What about Dreyfuss? That seems to be the only big piece of the puzzle missing.
I wouldn't be surprised if the simple addition of material from Spielberg and Williams gets this documentary picked up and released largely. If Universal were smart, they'd pick this up and release it in the fall as a single DVD while also releasing a repackage of the 30th Anniversary JAWS DVD with it. Any JAWS fan will want to see this doc and if the extras on the 30th Anniversary DVD are lacking you better bet that there'll be a demand to see this.

Anyway, if you head over to the official website for the documentary you'll find excerpts from a few of the interviews, including Greg Nicotero from KNB showing off the 1:1 scale Bruce head that he built to please the fans at Jawsfest, Joe Alves talking about the production design, Bill Butler talking about his cinematography, Spielberg telling a great story about the Orca and Williams being the cool cat he is.

YOU KNEW THERE WAS A JAWS DOCUMENTARY OUT THERE... YOU KNEW IT WAS DANGEROUS... BUT YOU LET PEOPLE CLICK ON THIS LINK ANYWAY!

JAWS 30th Anniversary DVD in mid-June, Jawsfest in early June, THE SHARK IS STILL WORKING in the works... it's a good time to be a Jaws fan!
-Quint

Old 05-18-05, 09:28 AM
Banned

I can't understand why anybody would want to re-purchase a DVD just for a few more extra features, and such. to me, it a waste of money. I would use that money to buy a new DVD, I don't already have, not for the same title. And for the mono soundtrack is concern, can you just switch the audio on your TV,or receiver from stereo to mono to listen to the soundtrack in mono? You shouldn't need to re-purchase a DVD to have the original mono soundtrack. Just a suggestion... It's your money.
For me personally, I would not do it because,

1. I never watch the special features on DVDs in the first place, due to my extremely large collection. I would rather view another DVD that I've have not seen.
2. I don't waste money buying the same DVD that I already have, regardless of what's been added to the newer edition.
Old 05-18-05, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
as stated earlier, its not that we can't switch the audio to our tv "to make it mono" we want the original track because all of the sound effects got changed for the 5.1 remix.
Old 05-18-05, 09:49 AM
Banned

Okay, I'll bite. I'll get the new set and that Jaws documentary whenever it comes out. It sounds fantastic!
Old 05-18-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Back in the VHS days I owned less than 5 movies on tape. Jaws was one of them. I will buy whatever they sell. I'm a Jaws slut.
Old 05-18-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
or am I a Jaws john?

:buford:
Old 05-18-05, 11:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SINGLE104
I can't understand why anybody would want to re-purchase a DVD just for a few more extra features, and such. to me, it a waste of money. I would use that money to buy a new DVD, I don't already have, not for the same title.

Blah blah blah...bullshit bullshit bullshit.
Ever heard of a threadcrap?

Get outta here if you don't want to buy it
Old 05-18-05, 11:38 AM
Banned

But you are defeating the purpose of having a home theater, if you want to still listen to an audio soundtrack in mono. Of coarse the audio is going to be different because it's being remastered in stereo.
The same sound effects are there in the stereo sound, from the mono soundtrack, but they are split into the left, and right channel, with the same technique that's being used to remastered the old mono record albums, into stereo CDs, which sounds magnificent, with no audio information being lost.
To me personally, it's just psychological issue. And for those who own high end 6.1 home theaters like myself, or state of the art, and you want to still listen to a mono soundtrack on your sound system? I don't understand that theory at all.
Play the DD 5.1 or DTS, and receive the full benefit from your home theater.
Just for the record, if the movie: Jaws was re-release theatrically for a limited or time, do you think that Steven Spielburg would want to play the movie in it's orginal mono soundtrack in the theaters, which are all currently equipped with multi-channel digital sound? I don't think so. He would want the best digitla audio presentation for his movie as possible.
Old 05-18-05, 12:00 PM
Banned

A DIFFERENT EFFFECTS TRACK WAS CREATED FOR THIS MIX. IT'S NOT JUST A DIFFERENT MIX.

THIS HORSE HAS BEEN BEATEN TO DEATH. Go read some other threads about it.

I have a "state of the art" 7.1 system and I want the original mono mix. Period.
Old 05-18-05, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

But you are defeating the purpose of having a home theater, if you want to still listen to an audio soundtrack in mono.
I don't know what the purpose of your home theatre is, but one of the main purposes of main is, whenever possible and appropriate, to recreate the original theatrical presentation as faithfully as possible. Listening to an original mono track would therefore fit the purposes of my home theatre exactly.

The same sound effects are there in the stereo sound, from the mono soundtrack, but they are split into the left, and right channel, with the same technique that's being used to remastered the old mono record albums, into stereo CDs, which sounds magnificent, with no audio information being lost.
You obviously know nothing about the Jaws remix. Brand new sound effects were recorded for the 5.1 remix. It is not just the old effects split up around the various channels.

That you know nothing about the sound in Jaws is no surprise. A few days ago, you claimed that any film released prior to 1992 was recorded in Dolby Stereo. I think the forum should closely consider the source when digesting your comments on sound technology and history.

To me personally, it's just psychological issue. And for those who own high end 6.1 home theaters like myself, or state of the art, and you want to still listen to a mono soundtrack on your sound system? I don't understand that theory at all.
And I don't understand the theory of buying hardware and letting it dictate how I watch DVDs. My hardware is there to serve the films, not the other way around. When I watch a film, I want to watch the film, not bask in how cool my hardware is. That truly is the tail wagging the dog.

DJ
Old 05-18-05, 12:35 PM
Banned

DJTOELL, you think your Mr. Know it All, and always right. And I detect that your the kind who thinks they're never wrong. But i've got news for you. Your making yourself seem like an complete idiot, because I have just as much a right to post my opinions on this site just as YOU, and anyone else for that matter, and can careless if you like agree with my me or not. YOU are not God, and you are not strictly the creator of this website, as you seems to be.a And FYI I know that Jaws was a different remix, and I find it to be extremely petty to gripe about an audio for an 1975 movie. SO THERE! READ IT AND WEEP.
Old 05-18-05, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And for those who own high end 6.1 home theaters like myself, or state of the art, and you want to still listen to a mono soundtrack on your sound system? I don't understand that theory at all.
Well, then we're even... because I don't understand your theory at all.

I have a 'high end 6.1 home theater'. But I don't need a movie like Citizen Kane or Jaws to have sounds buzzing all around the room. They were recorded in mono, and they sound great in mono.

And the Jaws situation is fairly unique (as has been discussed to death in this thread and others). They COMPLETELY re-recorded all of the sound effects. Things that have sounded a certain way for 25+ years now sound completely different. Going back and re-recording sound effects just to take advantage of 'high end' systems is not something that I can really get behind. Frankly, the original theatrical mono sounds better. Even if it isn't blasting from every speaker in the room.
Old 05-18-05, 01:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Well, then we're even... because I don't understand your theory at all.

I have a 'high end 6.1 home theater'. But I don't need a movie like Citizen Kane or Jaws to have sounds buzzing all around the room. They were recorded in mono, and they sound great in mono.

And the Jaws situation is fairly unique (as has been discussed to death in this thread and others). They COMPLETELY re-recorded all of the sound effects. Things that have sounded a certain way for 25+ years now sound completely different. Going back and re-recording sound effects just to take advantage of 'high end' systems is not something that I can really get behind. Frankly, the original theatrical mono sounds better. Even if it isn't blasting from every speaker in the room.
To each his own. you like mono, and I like stereo. case close!
Old 05-18-05, 01:49 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
DJTOELL, you think your Mr. Know it All, and always right. And I detect that your the kind who thinks they're never wrong. But i've got news for you. Your making yourself seem like an complete idiot, because I have just as much a right to post my opinions on this site just as YOU, and anyone else for that matter, and can careless if you like agree with my me or not. YOU are not God, and you are not strictly the creator of this website, as you seems to be.a And FYI I know that Jaws was a different remix, and I find it to be extremely petty to gripe about an audio for an 1975 movie. SO THERE! READ IT AND WEEP.
He he...this one's a hoot...
Old 05-18-05, 01:57 PM

DJTOELL, you think your Mr. Know it All, and always right. And I detect that your the kind who thinks they're never wrong. But i've got news for you. Your making yourself seem like an complete idiot, because I have just as much a right to post my opinions on this site just as YOU, and anyone else for that matter, and can careless if you like agree with my me or not.
You do have a right to post your opinion. Saying that all movies filmed before 1992 were recorded in Dolby Stereo or that the Jaws 5.1 remix uses the original sound effects, however, are not opinions. And, if you post such blatantly false non-opinions, you can and should be called on it.

YOU are not God, and you are not strictly the creator of this website, as you seems to be.a And FYI I know that Jaws was a different remix, and I find it to be extremely petty to gripe about an audio for an 1975 movie.
I would think the petty part would be to make up false things about a 1975 movie's soundtrack, even if you somehow secretly actually knew the correct information.

SO THERE! READ IT AND WEEP.

DJ
Old 05-18-05, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't have all day to read over the thread, so I'll jsut ask. I don't own any version of this movie. Is this the best one or should I go with the DTS one?
Old 05-18-05, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
I don't have all day to read over the thread, so I'll jsut ask. I don't own any version of this movie. Is this the best one or should I go with the DTS one?
Pending the verification of the announced specs and assuming that the expected high levels of quality are present, the new version will be the one to have. I would wait until reviews come out, just to be sure, though.

DJ
Old 05-18-05, 02:20 PM
Mod Emeritus

I can't understand why anybody would want to re-purchase a DVD just for a few more extra features, and such. to me, it a waste of money. I would use that money to buy a new DVD, I don't already have, not for the same title. And for the mono soundtrack is concern, can you just switch the audio on your TV,or receiver from stereo to mono to listen to the soundtrack in mono? You shouldn't need to re-purchase a DVD to have the original mono soundtrack. Just a suggestion... It's your money.
For me personally, I would not do it because,

1. I never watch the special features on DVDs in the first place, due to my extremely large collection. I would rather view another DVD that I've have not seen.
2. I don't waste money buying the same DVD that I already have, regardless of what's been added to the newer edition.

You don't have to understand it, you simply have to accept that other members are intersted in this topic and have the right to discuss it without having to endure threadcraps. As such, I ask that you remove yourself from this discussion.
Old 05-18-05, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by djtoell
Pending the verification of the announced specs and assuming that the expected high levels of quality are present, the new version will be the one to have. I would wait until reviews come out, just to be sure, though.

DJ

good stuff. thanks

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.