Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Oy! Columbia! Stripes and Tears Of The Sun Extended Cuts Due June 7th!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Oy! Columbia! Stripes and Tears Of The Sun Extended Cuts Due June 7th!

Old 06-08-05, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's great except that when they begin & end a new scene in the director's cut on the bottom of the screen it tells you so. I liked the 80's movies trailer which indicates a new remastered About Last Night is on the horizon. The 2 part featurette with many of the Stripes cast members is very interesting too.
Old 06-08-05, 09:57 AM

good to know, I will be picking up Stripes in the next couple of days. I sold my old copy on Amazon three weeks ago for $9, so this will be a nice upgrade.
Old 06-15-05, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Stripes Warning

Just a warning for those who didn't pick up the Stripes Extended edition yet. It does have the theatrical version option, BUT when you watch it in that form there are problems. Apparently Columbia flagged the deleted scenes as there own chapters and added footage from right before and after the scenes within the same chapter. The effect is that if you watch the theatrical version, not only is it like you have 6 layer changes while watching, but you lose footage which is often quite jarring. The worst instance involves Harold Ramis dialogue being cut off mid-sentence. Having seen the deleted scenes, I can probably watch the movie myself with them incorporated, but the theatrical version is damaged goods and I thought I would let everyone know.
Old 06-16-05, 12:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jrsl76
Just a warning for those who didn't pick up the Stripes Extended edition yet. It does have the theatrical version option, BUT when you watch it in that form there are problems. Apparently Columbia flagged the deleted scenes as there own chapters and added footage from right before and after the scenes within the same chapter. The effect is that if you watch the theatrical version, not only is it like you have 6 layer changes while watching, but you lose footage which is often quite jarring. The worst instance involves Harold Ramis dialogue being cut off mid-sentence. Having seen the deleted scenes, I can probably watch the movie myself with them incorporated, but the theatrical version is damaged goods and I thought I would let everyone know.
This sounds similar to another seemless branching release lately. Can't remember what title, but it was something like this.
Old 06-16-05, 04:28 AM

Columbia never said that the DVD would have seamless branching.

Neither did MGM for the Robocop DVD a while ago or Universal for Ray.

Unless the word seamless appears in the press release we can assume they won't spend the money on having the DVD mastered with seamless branching (which is quite expensive).