Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Oy! Columbia! Stripes and Tears Of The Sun Extended Cuts Due June 7th!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Oy! Columbia! Stripes and Tears Of The Sun Extended Cuts Due June 7th!

Old 03-26-05, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Quick Change definitely needs a dvd release.
Old 03-26-05, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by fryinpan1
See my sig
Find. Meatballs. Now.
Old 03-26-05, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
I may double dip for Stripes since the current release is pretty lackluster.
Old 03-26-05, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yet again Columbia is milking the customers for all their money. I wish they could get it right the first time. How many different versions of the same movie do we really need? Sheesh.
Old 03-26-05, 12:39 PM

has the original gone OOP?
Old 03-26-05, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Sessa17
I hope the extended cut of Stripes is an extended first half, b/c the second half of the movie is one of the biggest collapses in movie history IMO. For a little less than half the movie it's one of the greatest comedies ever, & then it just falls apart. I still can't wait for it though, I traded in my barebones DVD a while ago when I first heard the rumor of this.
I agree. I still think it is one of the greatest comedies of all time. The first half is so solid it makes up for the dismal second half.
Old 03-27-05, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

After watching Stripes for the first time a few months ago (and having no nostalgic bias), I could not get past the second half collapse. I hope this edition improves on the second half or adds more to the first half.
Old 03-27-05, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Supposedly the new footage will make it like a new movie.
Old 03-27-05, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What we really need is a SPECIAL EDITION of "Bram Stoker's Dracula".
Old 03-28-05, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

cover art for Stripes (cover below confirms the addition of eighteen extra minutes, including six deleted scenes):
http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?...6244&n=1&burl=

cover art for Tears of the Sun:
http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?...6243&n=1&burl=
Old 03-28-05, 09:47 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

cool, thanks.
Old 03-28-05, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Sometimes I wish Stripes had ended right after Bill Murray yelled "ARMY TRAINING, SIR!"
Old 03-28-05, 01:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fryinpan1
Sweet cover-art for Tears.

Ironically I submitted this title to DVDAficionado over the weekend with a comment saying that it wasn't technically announced yet, and it was not approved. So I go there this morning to check my "past requests" and what do you know...it's suddenly approved.
Old 03-28-05, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah I don't own Stripes because of the second half. I'll have to check this out.
Old 03-28-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hope you can still see the original cut on the same release. Seamless branching?
Old 03-28-05, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wow am I the only one who liked all of Stripes? Granted I have'nt seen it in years,but used to watch it alot growing up and was never disappointed with the second half.

Hmm,we'll see how it holds up now and if I have a harsher criticism of the second half?

Is the previous release anamorphic at least? Something tells me,they might just be adding in alot of footage for no reason,other than to sell a longer cut of the film. Unless it is far raunchier and NC-17 level type material that is actually worth checking out. I think I might pass on this release,unless it's 16.9 and not too bad of a new verison(so I'll wait for reviews and more details on what has been added).
Old 03-28-05, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by natevines
I thought Tears of the Sun sucked, but clearly you guys disagree. Anyhow, maybe this cut will make it a bit better.
I'll wait to rent this (maybe), but I have no faith that any amount of restored footage will make this a better film.
Old 03-28-05, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
What we really need is a SPECIAL EDITION of "Bram Stoker's Dracula".
with the NC-17 rated footage reinstated back into the film.

- the nipple biting sequence
- the Kama Sutra prints
Old 03-28-05, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rdclark
I love Stripes. All-time favorite. But it's hard to imagine that they shot stuff that was truly funny and then left it out of the film, so whatever the added material may be, it's unlikely to make the film funnier.

I'll rent it out of curiosity.

RichC
Considering at the time Meatballs was about the only thing of significance Murray had done outside of SNL, and even that was pretty fresh, it's likely that studio direction led to some edited for time and "we don't get it or think it's funny" hacking away while Murray and Ramis didn't yet have the box office clout to tell them to take a hike.
Old 03-28-05, 03:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Giles
I'll wait to rent this (maybe), but I have no faith that any amount of restored footage will make this a better film.
I'm just anxious to learn how much restored footage they'll be. I like this film. I listened to the Fuqua commentary, and he has my respect.
Old 03-28-05, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Wow am I the only one who liked all of Stripes? Granted I have'nt seen it in years,but used to watch it alot growing up and was never disappointed with the second half.

Hmm,we'll see how it holds up now and if I have a harsher criticism of the second half?
No, you're not the only one. I've always enjoyed the complete movie and never thought about two "halves" of the movie until stumbling on this thread. The good news is that all the members of the "I hate the second half of Stripes" club can just stop the DVD just before the action moves to Europe and the movie falls flat on its face!
Old 03-28-05, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 03-28-05, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is one of maybe half a dozen movies I would dip as many times as they will let me. It includes several of the all-time great comic performers/writers of my era at their peaks (Murray, Ramis, Candy), not to mention great cameos/small roles by Joe Flaherty, Dave Thomas, John Larroquette, Judge Reinhold, etc. There's even some Timothy "Poindexter" Busfield and Bill "Terminator/Weird Science/Aliens" Paxton to boot. If Belushi and Aykroyd had shown up at all, it would have been the perfect movie.
Old 03-28-05, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

definitely will be getting ToTS

loved it
Old 03-28-05, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by JoeR63
The good news is that all the members of the "I hate the second half of Stripes" club can just stop the DVD just before the action moves to Europe and the movie falls flat on its face!
That is a good description of when it changes. When it stops being a comedy and turns into some lame action movie in Europe.

I didn't say I hate it. It is just one of those things like From Dusk til Dawn. 4 star first half with a one and a half - two star conclusion.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.