DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Big Fassbinder News (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/415630-big-fassbinder-news.html)

bdots48 03-24-05 01:36 PM

Big Fassbinder News

NEWS: Fassbinder's Berlin Alexanderplatz in coming in special edition to the Criterion Collection!

WOW! Fassbinder's magnum opus! This was posted at DVDBeaver.com (mispelling and all). Anyone have any details?

Jaymole 03-24-05 01:51 PM

If it's true, that's fantastic news! No matter what the price (and I know it'll be pretty high), I'll be picking it up.

Richard Malloy 03-24-05 02:27 PM

HOLY FREAKING SHIT!!!! :eek:

At one point I thought the complete "Fanny & Alexander" -- from Criterion natch -- was too much to hope for!

A 6-disc set maybe? 8-disc?

wendersfan 03-24-05 03:44 PM

Yeah, I read this on Beaver earlier today. One of my most anticipated releases, ever.

Fassbinder rules.

FilmFanSea 03-24-05 03:44 PM

Before everyone gets too excited ....

The information comes from a newsletter sent out by the Fassbinder Foundation in Germany, which is performing the restoration (at an estimated cost of € 750,000). The reference to Criterion is as follows:

Not only does the Museum of Modern Art wish to get involved, but also the biggest and most aspiring DVD company in the world, the New-York-based Criterion, is keen to acquire Berlin Alexanderplatz in a special edition for its Criterion Collection and the US market. Our French distribution partner Carlotta Films has also declared a serious interest, and we receive e-mails and enquiries every day asking about the DVD edition. [emphasis added]
So it sounds like Criterion has expressed a strong interest in releasing Berlin Alexanderplatz (frankly, I can't imagine any other company releasing this masterpiece, especially after their stellar Fassbinder boxset of a few years ago).

Now the kicker:

Completion of the project should take place at the end of 2006 [emphasis added].
So don't expect a Criterion edition until at least 2007 ....

The prospect is terribly exciting, nonetheless.

Sunday Morning 03-24-05 08:25 PM

isn't criterion/home vision based out of chicago?

FilmFanSea 03-24-05 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Sunday Morning
isn't criterion/home vision based out of chicago?

Home Vision is based in Chicago.
Criterion is based in New York City.

pro-bassoonist 03-25-05 01:02 AM

...let's use the cliche here (as I agree with what FilmFanSea has stated above)...I will believe it when I see it. One thing I believe everyone should understand...and I mean dvd companies...this masterpiece has to be released with A LOT OF RESPECT....which naturally brings Criterion on the horizon.

Ciao,
Pro-B

ReservoirDog45 03-25-05 08:37 AM

Hells yes, who better than Criterion

Norm de Plume 03-25-05 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by bdots48
(mispelling and all)

Now that is the definition of "irony", Alanis.

prince_of_saturn 03-25-05 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by ReservoirDog45
Hells yes, who better than Criterion

Blue Underground or Anchor Bay?

Gerry P. 03-25-05 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by prince_of_saturn
Blue Underground or Anchor Bay?

No. I'd rather have a quality transfer.

unclehulot 03-26-05 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Gerry P.
No. I'd rather have a quality transfer.

Whatever.........

bdots48 03-26-05 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Now that is the definition of "irony", Alanis.

Glad you caught that,Norm. I thought it might have been too suttle.