DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   The Punisher Extended Director's Cut -Some News...Double Dip (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/415556-punisher-extended-directors-cut-some-news-double-dip.html)

Cameron 03-24-05 12:09 AM

The Punisher Extended Director's Cut -Some News...Double Dip

From Davisdvd

The Punisher

I remember when an "Extended Director's Cut" actually meant something back in the days of laserdisc. Much like everything else related to the DVD phenomenon, this too has become the de-rigueur marketing tool. Aintitcoolnews reports that Lions Gate is planning to relieve you of your cash with a double-dip re-release of The Punisher. Appearing at the Wizard World comic convention in L.A., artist Tim Bradstreet mentioned that "The Punisher: Director's Cut" DVD is in the works and will add backstory and whatnot, including scenes of Frank Castle during wartime. Bradstreet goes on to say that none of these scenes were originally shot, so the actors will be filmed on a green screen stage with backgrounds added digitally. Presumably this all will take place during the upcoming production of the sequel. The extended DVD most likely will be released with the marketing push for "The Punisher 2."

The Aintitcoolnews article

Skipped this one in theaters and dvd, just thought you guys would want to see it.

Bronkster 03-24-05 12:26 AM

No one can make me buy it again!

KnightLerxst 03-24-05 12:26 AM

Cool. The behind the scenes feature on the HK dvd talks about some of the scenes that were cut for budget reasons...and subplot that was cut involving Jimmy Weeks as the guy who sold out Castle.

Rammsteinfan 03-24-05 12:29 AM

Ill buy it if a free ticket is included for P2.

Mondo Kane 03-24-05 12:46 AM

There were scenes of Frank receiving hospitality from the hermit on the beach that weren't in the movie, but were in the comic/novelization. But I don't know if they were filmed.

Joe Molotov 03-24-05 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Cameron
Lions Gate is planning to relieve you of your cash with a double-dip re-release of The Punisher.

Sadly, there will be no relief for me from my cash. It'll just have to continue to torment me. I enjoyed The Punisher and it's spaghetti western revenge story, but the current DVD and the current version is good enough for me.

PopcornTreeCt 03-24-05 12:55 AM

Going back to re-shoot scenes for a DVD. My how far DVDs have come.

fumanstan 03-24-05 12:56 AM

This will be one of those "wait and see" things for me. If the added footage is worthwhile, i'll gladly double dip. I enjoyed the film quite a bit as is.

Cameron 03-24-05 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt

that was supposed to happen for x-men 1.5 but it didn't happen...the bathroom scene was actually a set for 1.5 that never got used...check out the X2 commentary.

fryinpan1 03-24-05 08:10 AM

I will probably double dip on The Punisher, if it has significant added footage.

Geofferson 03-24-05 08:41 AM

Interesting news. Perhaps a rental for me. Anyone know when the sequel is coming out so we have an idea when this DVD will be released?

RocShemp 03-24-05 09:12 AM

I'd get it if they re-instate the DTS track that was dropped at the last minute from the R1 theatrical release. That and I think the Jimmy Weeks stuff would actually fix the bit where Frank makes his presence known the press. Without the subplot that scene feels really tacked on.

ThatGuamGuy 03-24-05 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt

Peter Jackson did it (well, neither are re-shoots, they're pick-ups); check out the documentary on the DVD, where they're still shooting stuff for the extended cut *after* he's won the Oscar.

Mike Lowrey 03-24-05 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
Peter Jackson did it (well, neither are re-shoots, they're pick-ups); check out the documentary on the DVD, where they're still shooting stuff for the extended cut *after* he's won the Oscar.

Right. Just think of the filming of these new scenes as just "pick-ups"...preferably ones with HEMI engines. ;)

onebyone 03-24-05 01:24 PM

Darn it. I hate this nonsense. I really liked this movie too and want to see those scenes, but am so sick of the double dipping. I got the original cheap so that is good, but still.

RocShemp 03-24-05 02:09 PM

Well it's not like they're forcing you to buy it.

The way I see it is that I liked the film when I saw it in theatres and that's what I was looking forward to when I purchased the DVD. Now, here's hoping this extended cut is as good as the Daredevil director's cut (which, although I really enjoyed the theatrical cut, it rendered it's former incarnation practically unwatchable) or we might end up with something like say the Manhunter director's cut (whichever version) which is good on it's own but comes up short compared to the original version.

I'll just wait for some reviews and, if it turns out it is indeed enough of an improvement, I just may buy it. If not, I'll stick with my copy of the theatrical cut.

A-aron 03-24-05 03:05 PM

I hope that they fix the dead guy flinching when Travolta tosses his gun on him. That cracked me up when I saw the DVD.

Squirrel God 03-24-05 03:41 PM

I liked this film. Kinda glad I waited until I could pick up the original release for $9.98 CAD. Will definitely double dip on this one :thumbsup:

onebyone 03-24-05 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by achau9598
I hope that they fix the dead guy flinching when Travolta tosses his gun on him. That cracked me up when I saw the DVD.

Bwhahaha. That cracks me up. Now I kind of want to watch this again tonight. I really liked this movie. It is such cheesy goodness.

Al Padrino 03-24-05 04:50 PM

I thought they got it right the first time around. The film got mixed reivews, but I enjoyed it and thought the DVD offered as much as I'd care to take in for the title. No go on the double dip for moi.

cactusoly 03-24-05 06:33 PM

i just wish companies would put out a difinative version 1st time around... like that would ever happen.

steebo777 03-25-05 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Bronkster
No one can make me watch it again!

Fixed ;)

kar10 03-25-05 11:08 AM

I will only double dip if:

1. It's a 2 disc version

2. It has DTS

RocShemp 03-27-05 07:01 PM

Although I want DTS, I don't think there's much need for a 2 disc set unless they're just going to put the same documentaries from the current release in the second disc. I don't think there's much left to cover that those documentaries din't already address.

darmok 03-27-05 08:21 PM

they're filming Punisher 2? that's good to hear. i kinda liked the movie (though there were cheesy moments). i read earlier that they weren't going to film a sequel due to the disappointing box office results of the first one. have they changed their minds?