Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is the High School Reunion Collection (Weird Science, 16 Candles, Breakfast Club) OOP

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Is the High School Reunion Collection (Weird Science, 16 Candles, Breakfast Club) OOP

Old 03-23-05, 05:00 AM
Banned

Is this out of print?

is it better to buy them as a set or individually?

I want to get one but at a decent price and not $36.
Old 03-23-05, 09:48 AM
Cool New Member

I don't think so - I just picked up Sixteen Candles and The Breakfast Club this past weekend at Target for $10 apiece. Didn't notice if Weird Science was on sale as well, though - sorry.
Old 03-23-05, 09:53 AM

Not that I know of - saw a couple at BB last weekend.
Old 03-23-05, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ShelleyLevene
is it better to buy them as a set or individually?
It's just the 3 retail releases inside a unimpressive and dull cardboard slipcase so doesn't matter really. The only difference is that Universal have put a small coloured dot on the barcode on the back cover of each keepcase so it won't scan.

If you want all 3 films and can pick up the boxset cheaper than you can pick up the 3 films individually, then I'd say go for the boxset. Otherwise, just pick them up separately.
Old 03-23-05, 10:41 AM

Squirrel God, obviously you don't own this set. It is the greatest box set ever, when you take out the dvd cases there's tons of white space to color on and draw obscene pictures, so that when you sell your set on ebay it'll be worth even more!!!

But seriously, I bought this for my girlfriend last x-mas and it really is just a plain box with the individual releases inside, so if you can't find it, just buy the seperate releases and some poster board and you can make your own box set if you really want it.
Old 03-23-05, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ah I do own it and I'm off to get my crayons right now!!!1111
Old 03-23-05, 11:27 AM

Yeah, Target seems to sell The Breakfast Club and Sixteen Candles for $10 quite often. I picked both of those up from there a while ago for the same price.
Old 03-23-05, 03:22 PM
Suspended

Saw a bunch of the sets at my local BB too, though I don't seem to see the single releases as often though, then again I don't really look for them speciafically since I own the set.

Great set by the way, would have liked more extras though
Old 03-23-05, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by animalmystic
Great set by the way, would have liked more extras though
Yeah . . . that's pretty much why I haven't bought the set yet. I just can't imagine that this is the only release that they are going to do of these. All of the major characters are still around, there has to have been some kind of documentary made about John Hughes movies, and I find it hard to believe that there aren't any deleted scenes out there somewhere.

Of course, I'm probably just holding out for nothing.
Old 03-23-05, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

29.xx at buy.com with free shipping.

cheaper than Target since there is no tax (I know some exclusions)

On a side note, as soon as a new version of Weird Science comes out, I will buy another copy. Already bought the original then this release.

Last edited by speedyray; 03-23-05 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-23-05, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by speedyray
On a side note, as soon as a new version of Weird Science comes out, I will buy another copy. Already bought the original then this release.
I doubt we'll see a new version.

But I'd buy it if they fix the damn soundtrack so that short segment of dialogue isn't muted!
Old 03-23-05, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Costco gets them in once and away at $24.99 usually in the winter though.
Old 03-23-05, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Squirrel God
I doubt we'll see a new version.

But I'd buy it if they fix the damn soundtrack so that short segment of dialogue isn't muted!

It will no doubt be a HD-DVD or BR release fairly quick (First two or three years). They seem to sell a good bit of these type titles. That is the future release I was referring to, as I doubt another DVD release will occur.
Old 03-23-05, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by speedyray
It will no doubt be a HD-DVD or BR release fairly quick (First two or three years). They seem to sell a good bit of these type titles. That is the future release I was referring to, as I doubt another DVD release will occur.
If these come out in HD as special editions, there is little reason for them not to be released in DVD at the same time. That being said, if not I would consider upgrading solely for these titles alone.