DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Full Screen - Wide Screen --What would be better names? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/415328-full-screen-wide-screen-what-would-better-names.html)

DouglasRobert 03-22-05 03:42 PM

Full Screen - Wide Screen --What would be better names?

I was wondering what would be better names for these two terms.

Full Screen - The term itself is sort of misleading. While it will be a 'Full' presentation on a 4:3 TV, it will not be so on a Widescreen TV. Also some people may actually think that the 'Full' part refers to a description - as in you're getting the Full picture as in the theater.

Widescreen - The term is accurate to some and may be confusing to others. Some people may actually think that a Widescreen TV is required to view the DVD. And since they think that they won't buy a Widescreen version because it won't be able to see it correctly on their non-widescreen TVs, so they buy the Full Screen version.

I think they should change the names of the two terms.

Widescreen could be changed to the following:
Theatrical Presentation
Original Aspect Ratio Edition (But that may be confusing to some consumers)

Full Screen could be changed to the following:
Modified Presentation
Modified Aspect Ratio Edition
Pan & Scan Version

Theatrical Presentation & Original Aspect Ratio Edition terms would of course apply to any film that is presented in its original aspect ratio on DVD.

Personally I like the terms Theatrical Presentation for Widescreen or 1.33 Academy Ratio films. and Modified Presentation for Pan and Scan versions of Widescreen films or those that are modified as in the case of Animated films where stuff is moved around.

I know it's unlikely they would do so, but maybe the studios should change the names so its easier for some to understand as well as be more fitting to all sizes and shapes of TV sets.

What other names would you change these terms for Full Screen or Widescreen to?

Filmmaker 03-22-05 04:06 PM

Widescreen = "Hot Like Elisha Cuthbert Screen"
Full Screen = "Ebola Virus Screen"

sdk 03-22-05 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Widescreen = "Hot Like Elisha Cuthbert Screen"
Full Screen = "Ebola Virus Screen"

That would work, sadly it would.

Brian Shannon 03-22-05 04:36 PM

No name change will work so long as the industry refuses to educate consumers. Anyone who wants their 4:3 TV filled up by an image does not understand the concept of feature films.

Richard Malloy 03-22-05 04:44 PM

As I understand it (and I expect to be corrected... ;) )

1.37:1 "The Old Academy Ratio"
1.85:1 "The Academy Ratio"
2.35:1 "Cinemascope" (or Sovscope, etc., basically any film shot in the wide format using an anamorphic lens)

talemyn 03-22-05 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by DouglasRobert
Widescreen could be changed to the following:
Theatrical Presentation
Original Aspect Ratio Edition (But that may be confusing to some consumers)

Full Screen could be changed to the following:
Modified Presentation
Modified Aspect Ratio Edition
Pan & Scan Version

The only problem is that most of those options aren't very accurate . . .

Widescreen
"Theatrical Presentation" - can't be used for widescreen since lots of old movies and some current/newer ones (e.g., The Blair Witch Project) don't have a "theatrical presentation" of widescreen.

"Original Aspect Ratio Edition" - same reason as the above.

Full Screen
"Modified Presentation" - possibly okay, but it isn't very clear as to what has been modified (kind of like when they put up "This movie has been modified" before movies on TV).

"Modified Aspect Ratio Edition" - can't be used for full screen for esentially the same reason as the options that you listed for widescreen.

"Pan & Scan Version" - that is a viable option, but only for versions that actually are panned and scanned. It wouldn't account for open matte.

"Full Frame" can work for "Full Screen", too, but I don't know if that buys you any more clarity.

Squirrel God 03-22-05 04:49 PM

No names, just stick the aspect ratio on the cover and say whether it is "Original Aspect Ratio" or not.

In this context, I don't see the problem with using "Original Aspect Ratio".

It's a sad world we live in when we should even need to say "OAR" anyway though don't you think? Everything should be "OAR".

BassDude 03-22-05 04:58 PM

I say label it 'Original Theatrical presentation' (regardless of aspect ratio...2:35 for scope or 1:33 for any film shot that way) and '4:3 TV Version.' Just "TV Version" wouldn't work, as many have 16:9 sets.

And those who don't know what 4:3 TV version is would get educated pretty quickly if that is what they want.

I agree..."Full Screen" has got ta go.

OldBoy 03-22-05 05:00 PM

widesceen = good
full screen = bad

simple and discrete!

LikeMiamiVice 03-22-05 05:11 PM

widescreen is perfect the way it sounds
fullscreen:halfscreen

Mr. Salty 03-22-05 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
2.35:1 "Cinemascope" (or Sovscope, etc., basically any film shot in the wide format using an anamorphic lens)

Anamorphic lenses need not have been used to achieve a 2.35:1 AR. Super 35 uses non-anamorphic lenses.

Mike Lowrey 03-22-05 05:56 PM

Hey, I got it...

Fullscreen should now be called, "Hey, you're too stupid to watch film." Edition

Widescreen should now be called, "Size does matter...wider is better." Edition.

PixyJunket 03-22-05 06:17 PM

-rolleyes-

cajun_junky 03-22-05 06:46 PM

I would guess that the industry would prefer one word for each. Easy to print and easier for joe blow to remember and understand. I can't imagine a day in the near future where the cover of a dvd will have the word widescreen replaced with Original Aspect Ratio. Although we can keep our fingers crossed.

On a side note.....Don't you think that in a few years with more and more widescreen tvs being sold that the fullscreen will fall by the wayside?

Squirrel God 03-22-05 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by cajun_junky
On a side note.....Don't you think that in a few years with more and more widescreen tvs being sold that the fullscreen will fall by the wayside?

That's certainly what's happened in the UK.

Mountain Biker 03-22-05 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
-rolleyes-

I'll second that

Ephemeral_Life 03-22-05 08:58 PM

Widescreen and

WalMart special*

*half the movie for the full price

djtoell 03-22-05 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
1.37:1 "The Old Academy Ratio"
1.85:1 "The Academy Ratio"

1.37:1 is still referred to as Academy. 1.85:1 is just 1.85:1.

Before the advent of sound on film, the Academy Ratio was 1.33:1. This was restandardized to 1.37:1 to accomodate soundtracks at a similar AR (as opposed to the early Movietone features, which were more narrow at 1.17:1). So, if anything, 1.37:1 is the "new" Academy while 1.33:1 is the "old" Academy. :)

DJ

Regurgitator 03-22-05 09:40 PM

Widescreen = Full presentation as seen in the theatres
Therefore, Widescreen should now be called Fullscreen.

Old Fullscreen = Scenes are cut off from the sides
Therefore, Old Fullscreen should now be called Cutscreen.

TomOpus 03-22-05 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ephemeral_Life
Widescreen and

WalMart special*

*half the movie for the full price

-ohbfrank- Must suck to be you since the Wal*Mart I go to has lots of widescreen movies at prices that beat most B&M's on release day.

Rammsteinfan 03-22-05 09:57 PM

Widescreen: The Version you were meant to see
Fullscreen: The Version you should never see

Cornelius1047 03-22-05 10:08 PM

I'm starting to think that a lot more people than we think buying full screen DVDs know exactly what they're buying.

K

nightmaster 03-22-05 10:14 PM

Its pretty much a done deal at this point, don't ya think? Kind of like all facial tissues are called Kleenex by lots of people. Once the public associates a name with a product it tends to stick.

Squirrel God 03-22-05 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by nightmaster
Kind of like all facial tissues are called Kleenex by lots of people. Once the public associates a name with a product it tends to stick.

Pun intended? :lol:

dollfins1 03-22-05 10:42 PM

fullscreen = formatted version
widescreen = theatrical version

i still like "poopscreen" for fullscreen though lol