DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Nutsy Cuckoo Ebay DTS LD Auction (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/415277-nutsy-cuckoo-ebay-dts-ld-auction.html)

chente 03-22-05 10:29 AM

Nutsy Cuckoo Ebay DTS LD Auction

No, I'm not affiliated in any way, but this auction excites the LD geek in me.

DTS LD

PS. If any of you out there win this, I demand one of the DTS LD's as a finders fee. :)

Giles 03-22-05 10:43 AM

111 discs at the current bid of $1,926.01... ah, I think not.

digitalfreaknyc 03-22-05 11:05 AM

Man, he's going to make a killing off of this. I never experienced DTS from LD and can only imagine how amazing it sounds...as LD always has superior audio. Wow. Have to keep watching the auction to see what the end result is.

chente 03-22-05 11:12 AM

I still haven't been able to get my hands on a DTS LD to test out since they usually sell for $30 and up on ebay and I don't really want to pay that much. The amazing thing is that he has 110 of the 112 titles with DTS ever produced in the US.

cultshock 03-22-05 12:05 PM

And you get a DTS ballcap too!!!!!!!11111

I've never picked up a DTS LD either, but I've heard that many sound amazing. Less compression and much more range and dynamics than their DVD counterparts (depending on title). I believe that the DTS company did the mastering on the early titles themselves, and went all out on them. These things are basically like vinyl is to audiophiles.

PixyJunket 03-22-05 12:18 PM

Vinyl. :drool:

Giles 03-22-05 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by cultshock

I've never picked up a DTS LD either, but I've heard that many sound amazing. Less compression and much more range and dynamics than their DVD counterparts (depending on title).

for instance, the DTS LD trounces the Dolby Digital track on the DVD edition of Toy Story.

Laser Movies 03-22-05 12:31 PM

I have about 20 DTS titles on laserdisc but never had the desire to own all of them. I think the sound quality was a little overhyped at times but some of them are amazing. A few of my favorites were Jurassic Park, Casper, the Rock and Crimson Tide. There also are a few I regret not getting like Toy Story, Independence Day, and Titanic.

rdclark 03-22-05 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by cultshock
like vinyl is to audiophiles.

Some audiophiles. We're not all whack-jobs.
:)

RichC

ScottsDvds 03-22-05 01:10 PM

I also have a complete collection of DTS laserdiscs from the US and I'm still working on all the Japanese releases. He would make a lot more selling individual titles, but it would be more work. The US disc that took me the longest to track down was Eric Clapton: Unplugged. :)

digitalfreaknyc 03-22-05 01:52 PM

which is he missing?

ScottsDvds 03-22-05 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
which is he missing?

Rob Roy and Six Days and Seven Nights, both are tough to find.

littlefuzzy 03-22-05 06:14 PM

Q: Hello Seller, 1.Do you accept a Cashier Check/ Usps moneyorder as a mode of payment , 2 Will you be able to transfer the excess fund to the shipping company in westafrica for the arrangement of the pick up from your house down to my client if you . mail me ur full name and ur contact address so that the check can be issue out . I will be awaiting your email soonest. Answered on Mar-20-05
A: Absolutely not. Please do not bid on any of my auctions.
[NelsonMuntz]Ha-Ha![/NelsonMuntz]

DrGerbil 03-22-05 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by littlefuzzy
Q: Hello Seller, 1.Do you accept a Cashier Check/ Usps moneyorder as a mode of payment , 2 Will you be able to transfer the excess fund to the shipping company in westafrica for the arrangement of the pick up from your house down to my client if you . mail me ur full name and ur contact address so that the check can be issue out . I will be awaiting your email soonest. Answered on Mar-20-05
A: Absolutely not. Please do not bid on any of my auctions.

419 Scam. Smart seller. :lol:

chente 03-22-05 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by DrGerbil
419 Scam. Smart seller. :lol:

what's a 419 scam?

DrGerbil 03-22-05 06:38 PM

Nigerian transfer fraud.

In a newer version of the scam, the scammer offers to buy some expensive item (which the victim advertised on eBay, for example) by official, certified, bank or cashier's check. The check will have an "accidentally" or mutually agreed higher value than the price of the item, so the scammer asks the victim to wire the extra money to some third party as soon as the check clears. The check typically clears after one or two days, but the fact that it is counterfeit is not detected until several days or weeks later, by which time the victim has sent the item and the "additional money" to the scammer and his representative. Most banks will hold the victim accountable for the value of the counterfeit check.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/419_scam
http://www.419eater.com/

chente 03-22-05 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by DrGerbil
Nigerian transfer fraud.

In a newer version of the scam, the scammer offers to buy some expensive item (which the victim advertised on eBay, for example) by official, certified, bank or cashier's check. The check will have an "accidentally" or mutually agreed higher value than the price of the item, so the scammer asks the victim to wire the extra money to some third party as soon as the check clears. The check typically clears after one or two days, but the fact that it is counterfeit is not detected until several days or weeks later, by which time the victim has sent the item and the "additional money" to the scammer and his representative. Most banks will hold the victim accountable for the value of the counterfeit check.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/419_scam
http://www.419eater.com/

That 419eater.com site is a laugh riot.

TheNightFlier 03-22-05 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by littlefuzzy
[NelsonMuntz]Ha-Ha![/NelsonMuntz]

:lol:

Thats quite a collection he's got. Wonder why he wants to dump it? He probably could've made a lot more sellling them separate on different forums, granted it might take longer.

speedyray 03-22-05 10:10 PM

If I had the money to blow, I might bid on the set. That is a lot of DTS goodness.

bboisvert 03-22-05 10:15 PM

Holy crap on a stick! That's a pretty sweet collection. Damn, I may actually consider bidding on this... there's not a another chance in hell of me acquiring all of these individually. Hmmm...

chente 03-22-05 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Holy crap on a stick! That's a pretty sweet collection. Damn, I may actually consider bidding on this... there's not a another chance in hell of me acquiring all of these individually. Hmmm...

Remember my finder's fee if you win!

whotony 03-23-05 12:36 AM

the guy selling them just must have given up trying to get them all.
it's strange that he is selling them because relatively recently he was trying to buy as many of them as he could over on htf.

chente 03-28-05 11:01 AM

$3,135.00!

DVD NDN 03-28-05 04:55 PM

SHINE had a wonderful DTS LD track

Cameron 03-28-05 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by chente
$3,135.00!

holy crap...