Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Question: how many dvds do you need to have to be considered a dvd collector?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-05, 04:10 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have been buying dvds like crazy since june of last year, i think i average 20 dvds a month. is there a certain number you need to get to to be considered a collector?
Old 03-21-05, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zidane349
is there a certain number you need to get to to be considered a collector?
Yes, 276. Then you get your official collector's club card & decoder ring in the mail.
Old 03-21-05, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You are the one who decide if you are a collector or not. Even if you only own just a single DVD, you could be considered a collector of that single DVD!
Old 03-21-05, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, 276. Then you get your official collector's club card & decoder ring in the mail.
276 was last year, It's been updated to 304 this year.
Old 03-21-05, 04:21 PM

Personally I don't consider it a collection if it's under 40
Old 03-21-05, 04:22 PM

I tend to view them like music CDs. I'm not really collecting them, they're just accumulating. I've never bought a DVD just because it was a Disney tin DVD, or a Criterion DVD or one of the other "collectible" DVDs...it had to be something I'd watch more than once or twice.
Old 03-21-05, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by snoopygirl
I'm not really collecting them, they're just accumulating.
They're like tribbles the way the keep accumulating in my house.
Old 03-21-05, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

check out Kornboy's question at How's My Collection?

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
However, I would certainly add more movies to your collection. When you're up to around 100, you're taken seriously. 250, you're doing well. 500+ is when you're a certified videophile. 1000+ you're a DVD God, and will be praised when you strut through the forums.
just buy em, watch em, love em, discuss them...if your taking the time to hit this forum on a weekly basis, i think your safe to say your a collector. If your looking for more "knowledge" than check out a few books at the library and read up on some of your favorite films and directors. Might try taking a few classes when you get to college as well.
Old 03-21-05, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Two.
Old 03-21-05, 04:35 PM

What had the world come to. Can no one think for themselves anymore? If you think you're a collector than you are. You don't have to be frantically buying DVDs to get up to a certain number.
Old 03-21-05, 04:58 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My cut-off into collector status is when you purchase your 100th title.
Old 03-21-05, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
this is a completely subjective question.

I'd say that if you have more than 1 DVD, you can consider yourself a collector. Some ppl have 100+ DVDs and don't consider themselves a collector.
Old 03-21-05, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by JLyon1515
What had the world come to. Can no one think for themselves anymore? If you think you're a collector than you are. You don't have to be frantically buying DVDs to get up to a certain number.
Old 03-21-05, 05:09 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 908 Likes on 768 Posts
Originally Posted by Sessa17
is there an address for the card and ring? as i would be interested in that...

also, to the OP..you are 17 and can buy 20 dvd's a month? nice allowance...
Old 03-21-05, 05:09 PM
MYM

I never eeally thought of my DVD's as a collection. I always figured movies to be my hobby. I really like them and when they are released on video I go buy 'em. Yet here I am posting in a forum dedicated to DVD's. Weird.
Old 03-21-05, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by Mexican Menace
They're like tribbles the way the keep accumulating in my house.
I never thought of it that way but man does that analogy fit! It's a completely subjective question. I considered myself a collector after I bought my first DVD partly because I knew the number would keep growing.
Old 03-21-05, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Does it come with an insert?
Old 03-21-05, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bugg
276 was last year, It's been updated to 304 this year.
Dang, that means I'm lagging behind just by a few DVD's each year... at this rate, I'll never get into the super-secret collector's club!!!
Old 03-21-05, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The official numbers are 242 titles, plus an additional 21 per month. Sorry, based on your stats, you're not a collector.
Old 03-21-05, 06:07 PM

You decide when your a collector basically. I bought my first DVD player in 1999. By 2002 I had about 120 movies, yet I didn't consider myself a collector until 2002 with my purchases of the first seasons of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" & "The Simpsons." Now I have over 1,000 and collecting tv-on-dvd has become my most favorite hobby. It is this DVD collection that has led to me discovering what I would consider my dream job (writting TV shows), which is why I will be starting film school in 6 months.
Old 03-21-05, 06:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dabaomb
this is a completely subjective question.

I'd say that if you have more than 1 DVD, you can consider yourself a collector.
I wholeheartedly disagree. Take my sister for example. She has a "collection" of maybe 25 or so DVDs. A good portion of which are my double-dipping duplicates. She, however, rarely buys any herself, because she isn't a "collector".

I define a "collector" is someone who buys things, anything, that they don't necessarily and most probably don't need.

For example, the OP said he buys 20 DVDs a month. My God! That would be a huge month for me, as I only buy at most 10 a month and that's a rarity. However after a little over 3 years of collecting, I have 400 titles, of which probably 30% or so are TV sets.
Old 03-21-05, 06:11 PM

1,900?
Old 03-21-05, 06:24 PM

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
I would say a collector has done at least one of the following:
  • Anxiously awaited news of a DVD release of a favorite movie older than 6 months.
  • Purchased a title on DVD that they already owned on VHS (or other format.)
  • Double-dipped on a title for a better transfer, more special features, etc.
  • Purchased more than 5 DVDs at a single time, not including bargain bin stuff.
  • Owns a significant portion of the output of a single director, actor, or studio (Disney, etc.)
  • Has physically organized their collection (alphabetically, etc.) and/or has entered it in a database.

I am sure there would be other qualifications, as well, but I can't think of any right now.
Old 03-21-05, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by critterdvd
You decide when your a collector basically. I bought my first DVD player in 1999. By 2002 I had about 120 movies, yet I didn't consider myself a collector until 2002 with my purchases of the first seasons of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" & "The Simpsons." Now I have over 1,000 and collecting tv-on-dvd has become my most favorite hobby. It is this DVD collection that has led to me discovering what I would consider my dream job (writting TV shows), which is why I will be starting film school in 6 months.

Good luck with film school. I hope it works out for you. Just remember though that many try and only a few are successful. Out of the class of 30 I went to film school with, I think there is only about 4 that are working in film.

Back on topic. I have about 300 DVDs and don't really consider myself a collector, because the stuff I buy I watch. In my mind, collectors are people that just buy stuff for the sake of buying and re-selling to make a profit.
Old 03-21-05, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by JustInsane
Back on topic. I have about 300 DVDs and don't really consider myself a collector, because the stuff I buy I watch. In my mind, collectors are people that just buy stuff for the sake of buying and re-selling to make a profit.
While there are people who buy simply for the idea of reselling (ie. Criterions, Disneys, etc), I feel that when it comes to DVDs the majority of 'collectors' are people who truly enjoy collecting and owning movies. Collecting is a hobby, something you do in your leisure time. So unless people are all watching movies as part of their job, or buying them solely to resell, then anyone who falls in a range related to littlefuzzy's last post is a collector to some degree.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.