DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Be Cool - 3 months from theater to DVD 6/7/05 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/415083-cool-3-months-theater-dvd-6-7-05-a.html)

mcarver 03-21-05 09:02 AM

Be Cool - 3 months from theater to DVD 6/7/05

Slated for a June 7, 2005 DVD release just 3 short months from the theatrical release of March 4, 2005. Looks like MGM never really expected the film to do well in the theaters and only released it as a "promo'" to sell the DVD...

Giles 03-21-05 09:13 AM

this is why I have stopped going to see major Hollywood films, the time window of theatre-to-video seems to get shorter with each new film.

djones6746 03-21-05 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by mcarver
Slated for a June 7, 2005 DVD release just 3 short months from the theatrical release of March 4, 2005. Looks like MGM never really expected the film to do well in the theaters and only released it as a "promo'" to sell the DVD...

It may have a little to do with the quick release date but I truly believe studios are getting movies out to dvd quicker than before as they are using revenue from dvd sales to help pay an actor for their role in the movie. With some actors bringing in 10-20 million per picture, they have to offset some of the pay day an actor brings in to a later date when revenues begin trickling in from music and dvd sales. :)

scott shelton 03-21-05 10:34 AM

Sadly, this isn't news anymore.

dsa_shea 03-21-05 10:42 AM

What has the movie grossed so far? I was hoping that it would do reasonably well. It is a terrible movie?

fryinpan1 03-21-05 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
What has the movie grossed so far? I was hoping that it would do reasonably well. It is a terrible movie?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=becool.htm

Production Budget: $53 million
Est. Marketing Costs: N/A

Domestic: $47,203,000
+ Overseas: $1,604,375
= Worldwide: $48,807,375

dollfins1 03-21-05 11:19 AM

gross must be so low 'cause everyone used their "free" tickets from get shorty.

majorjoe23 03-21-05 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by dollfins1
gross must be so low 'cause everyone used their "free" tickets from get shorty.

I believe those free tickets should count toward the gross, creative accounting or whatever moves $7-$10 from the DVD profits to the movie profits.

Jericho 03-21-05 12:18 PM

Knowing MGM, it will probably mean Be Cool will be lik $8 come Christmas time

Dan1boy 03-21-05 01:58 PM

eh, 'Be Cool' was fairly entertaining. I think the studio marketed it to the wrong demographic. What should have been an 'R' film (Get Shorty) was noticably watered down for that coveted *blah* PG-13 rating. I enjoyed it about as much as I did 'Hostage'.

Giles 03-21-05 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dan1boy
I enjoyed it about as much as I did 'Hostage'.

for better or worse?

gotrice487 03-21-05 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by djones6746
It may have a little to do with the quick release date but I truly believe studios are getting movies out to dvd quicker than before as they are using revenue from dvd sales to help pay an actor for their role in the movie. With some actors bringing in 10-20 million per picture, they have to offset some of the pay day an actor brings in to a later date when revenues begin trickling in from music and dvd sales. :)

Great point! I do like these quick releases as it helps me save money by not going to the movie theaters. Many times it's cheaper to buy the movie on DVD than to take a date to a movie and account for all the costs. It also allows you to watch it more than once which is a plus for the good blind buys!

Jackskeleton 03-21-05 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I believe those free tickets should count toward the gross, creative accounting or whatever moves $7-$10 from the DVD profits to the movie profits.

Those free tickets do count. The way they work is pretty much the studio is paying for your ticket. The ticket value is up to 12 bucks or so, so the theaters just exchange that with the studio. But for the most part it counts as box office cash for the movie in question.

It's a way for the studios to pad their way to the #1 slot that weekend. Be Cool wasn't a huge opener and I'm sure this quick 12 week turn around window is just a way to make sure they strike while the iron is hot then having to resort to making a new ad push when the dvd is released.

wennma01 03-21-05 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Those free tickets do count. The way they work is pretty much the studio is paying for your ticket. The ticket value is up to 12 bucks or so, so the theaters just exchange that with the studio. But for the most part it counts as box office cash for the movie in question.

you're mostly right, i would just like to clarify (i work at a theater and have moderate inside knowledge). the free tickets do count, but the theaters don't exchange that with the studio. the free tickets themselves are actually checks that can be deposited into the actual bank account of that theater (its just for theater accounts, you can't just deposit them yourselves). the theater i work at is usually not on the list of theaters that accept those tickets, but my manager told me to take them anyway because she can just deposit them

jarofclay73 03-21-05 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by wennma01
you're mostly right, i would just like to clarify (i work at a theater and have moderate inside knowledge). the free tickets do count, but the theaters don't exchange that with the studio. the free tickets themselves are actually checks that can be deposited into the actual bank account of that theater (its just for theater accounts, you can't just deposit them yourselves). the theater i work at is usually not on the list of theaters that accept those tickets, but my manager told me to take them anyway because she can just deposit them

Yeah I notice all the check marks on the back.

Jackskeleton 03-21-05 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by wennma01

ah cool cool. I figured it was something like that. Does your studio charge the full worth of the ticket? if so that would pad the box office count even more.

William Fuld 03-21-05 03:55 PM

I can't remember where I read it, but F. Gary Gray wanted to include the complete "You Ain't Woman Enough" music video by The Rock as a special feature, but the music rights were too expensive.

lamphorn 03-22-05 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by djones6746

I really don't think earlier home video release has anything to do with paying the actors.. The biggest expense for a film is promotion, and they're riding the wave of the theatrical release to sell the DVD without having to launch a whole new promotional campaign to remind us of the movie. In fact, the theatrical release is really just a commercial for the DVDs which bring in much more money than the box office. It's sadly true that it's often better to wait for the DVD because it's more economical, you know you'll get a pristine picture rather than the scratched and muddy images from underlit projectors, you can avoid crummy theaters with loud a#$es yelling at the screen, and you get commentary and bonuses. I wish the studios gave a crap about filmgoing as an experience, but only a few filmmakers do.

dx23 03-08-06 08:57 AM

It seems that a double feature DVD of Get Shorty and Be Cool is going to be released on March 14th.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...CLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Y2K Falcon 03-08-06 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by dx23
It seems that a double feature DVD of Get Shorty and Be Cool is going to be released on March 14th.

List Price: $19.94
Price: $17.89 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. See details
You Save: $2.05 (10%)

Thanks, Amazon. -rolleyes-

Randy Miller III 03-08-06 10:08 AM

It's just over $14 shipped at DDD.

Link

hailmyname 03-08-06 10:58 AM

wow great news. travolta is great and i would really like to grab this DVD also. any information where to find the DVD other than the link given becuz its not working with me.

Dai 03-08-06 12:52 PM

Any specs on the discs??

dvd_luver 03-08-06 01:06 PM

That is nice for those few who have yet to pick these up seperately.