DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Why nothing special with Vincent Price? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/415023-why-nothing-special-vincent-price.html)

JCFantasy23 03-20-05 08:09 PM

Why nothing special with Vincent Price?

I noticed there are collection sets for Pacino, Eastwood (several for him), Hitchcock, Craven, John Carpenter, and more...why nothing for Price? He's a favorite of many, seems like a collectible move to me. There's some cheap DVDs where a few of his movies are included, but that's not what I'm referring to. Anyone know of any good package deals with his films?

natevines 03-20-05 08:11 PM

I don't know of any such package, but I totally sympathize with you. Laura was just released, but we still need many great films, including 'Witchfinder General', in which he gives one of his greatest performances IMHO.

darkhawk 03-20-05 08:53 PM

The only one I know of is The Song of Bernadette with Jennifer Jones and Vincent Price

marty888 03-20-05 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by natevines
... we still need many great films, including 'Witchfinder General', in which he gives one of his greatest performances IMHO.

Fortunately, that one is available in a decent R2/PAL release - but it sure would be nice to have some of the other missing titles get paackaged together.

I imagine one imnpediment might be rights issues - many have fallen into public domain, and tracking down who actually owns the rights on many others might be a bit tangled.

Pressplay 03-20-05 09:24 PM

Fox also released LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN not too long ago and Price is pretty good in it (but he has a small role).

Quatermass 03-21-05 12:29 AM

He was in Edward Scissorhands with Winona Ryder, who was in Flatliners with Kevin Bacon.

Chris777 03-21-05 01:49 AM

tim burton's idol

brainee 03-21-05 04:16 AM

I haven't seen anything like that for Vincent Price. He does appear in a number of the nice MGM Midnight Movies Double Features.

mcarver 03-21-05 09:08 AM

I think a part of the problem is that many of his films are in the public domain and already "flood" the market with the bargain studio releases. The other part is that his films cross to many studio boundaries....

philo 03-21-05 09:47 AM

I'd like to see a release of "Master of the World." I'm surprised MGM hasn't yet issued it as part of the midnite movies series. Also "Mad Magician" which Columbia owns.

arjayvee 03-31-05 10:42 PM

I've actually been quite pleased with the number of Price titles that have made it to DVD. I'm sitting here looking at quite a stack of 'em in my collection. MGM's Midnight Movies releases alone boast THE FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER, THE PIT AND THE PENDULUM, both DR. PHIBES films, TALES OF TERROR, DR. GOLDFOOT & THE BIKINI MACHINE, TWICE TOLD TALES, THEATER OF BLOOD, MADHOUSE, WAR-GODS OF THE DEEP, THE MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH, THE OBLONG BOX, SCREAM AND SCREAM AGAIN, CRY OF THE BANSHEE, THE HAUNTED PALACE, TOWER OF LONDON, THE RAVEN, THE COMEDY OF TERRORS, THE TOMB OF LIGEIA, AN EVENING OF EDGAR ALLAN POE. Phew! Other DVD releases include THE FLY/RETURN OF THE FLY, HOUSE OF WAX, THE TINGLER, THE BAT/HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL (Roan), CHAMPAGNE FOR CAESAR, BRIGHAM YOUNG, THE MONSTER CLUB, THE JACKALS, THE LONG NIGHT, LAURA, THE SINISTER IMAGE (documentary), RUDDIGORE (Gilbert & Sullivan), THE WHALES OF AUGUST, SHOCK, THE TROUBLE WITH GIRLS...as well as those few titles mentioned in posts above. THE PRIVATE LIVES OF ELIZABETH & ESSEX is due shortly.

As a longtime Price fan, I don't feel he's been under-represented on DVD; no way, no how. But don't we fans always want more? I too would love to see WITCHFINDER GENERAL on Region 1 DVD, as well as the aforementioned THE MAD MAGICIAN.

Cornelius1047 04-01-05 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Quatermass
He was in Edward Scissorhands with Winona Ryder, who was in Flatliners with Kevin Bacon.

You've obviously missed a degree... or three.

I would've went from Edward Scissorhands with Johnny Depp to The Astronaut's Wife with Charlize Theron to Trapped with Kevin Bacon.

K