DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Incredibles DVD - popping noises?

Old 03-24-05, 02:18 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Spiky
How much do you want to spend? How big a space do you have for a sub?
I don't have a price in mind nor a particular limit, but I'm hoping there's some sweet spot between performance and price. Space is not a serious issue, provided it's not the size of a VW Beetle.
Old 03-24-05, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The SV lineup is THE best for performance/price ratio. If you can handle a big sub, and can spend at least $500 or so, there is almost nothing that can match the value. Mine is from the $800 range and I've never heard anything under $3000 that can touch it.

And they are working on cheaper subs and smaller subs, although those two concepts won't go together in one product.
Old 03-26-05, 08:35 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Got my copy of The Incredibles today and the audio is popping on my system too. The only other time this has happened was with the DTS track on The Day After Tomorrow. I have a sub, so does anyone else have a suggestion?
Old 03-27-05, 01:47 AM

Raise the crossover frequency (receiver setup) to the highest setting. If the popping goes away, this proves it was caused by too much low-frequency energy being sent to the satellites.

Reduce the subwoofer level at the receiver and raise it on the sub itself. If the popping goes away, you were overdriving the input stage on the sub.

RichC
Old 03-27-05, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spiky
The SV lineup is THE best for performance/price ratio.
Do you mean SVS Subwoofers? If so, I agree. Greatest bang for the buck out there.
Old 03-27-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Do you mean SVS Subwoofers? If so, I agree. Greatest bang for the buck out there.
Actually, he's right, it's SV, at least it's hard to argue that it's not from looking at the site.
Old 03-27-05, 03:01 PM

It's SV Subwoofers, or SVS.

Saying SVS Subwoofers is like saying ATM Machine.

And yes, they are very much worth checking out if you need a subwoofer.

RichC
Old 03-27-05, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're right. I've only ever seen them mentioned as SVS. Great company and great products.
Old 03-27-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm currently wearing an SVS hat that we asked for. And got within 3 months as a new product. Ron and Tom are just insanely great on CS and (obviously) making subs. I'm actually looking at selling my SVS because my space needs have changed. I'll be replacing it with an even nastier SVS.

I don't play movies too loud at my house. I was playing the Incredibles at -20 and it was just plenty. This movie is definitely hot, most movies I can play at -15 or even -10. The little rail-car crash and the first fight with the V9 robot peaked at 106db at my listening position, about 13' from my fronts and sub. Ouch! I can't believe some people play louder, but they do. Oh and, my SV 2039PC+ had no troubles with the sub-20Hz bass those scenes dish out. No bottoming out at all, still haven't been able to drive it that far, not that I want to damage it, and I've hit over 110db before.

The thought that comes to my mind every time I feel the bass is HFS. Every single time. You'd think it would get old, but.....

Last edited by Spiky; 03-27-05 at 09:18 PM.