DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Oliver Stone DVD questions... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/414813-oliver-stone-dvd-questions.html)

legend42 03-18-05 08:35 PM

Oliver Stone DVD questions...

I've done some research, but have had a surprisingly hard time finding definite answers. Can someone break down the differences between the original Oliver Stone Collection and the Ultimate Oliver Stone Collection DVDs- particularly in regard to anamorphic transfers.

This review for the Ultimate Collection claims that Nixon, Born on the Fourth, and The Doors are non-anamorphic, but I found other reviews that say they are. Can someone clarify? Thanks.

Cameron 03-18-05 10:33 PM

they are not anamorphic...and more so they do not include the second disc of the single editions...doors is the same disc, even reads disc 1....but no disc 2 in the box. your best bet is to buy the singles of the movies you like...that way you get all the extras, and can skip non anamorphic transfers

legend42 03-18-05 11:08 PM

Thanks Cameron. So are Nixon and BOTFOJ available anamoprphic at all? Seems strange that releases which came out within the last few months, especially with an "ultimate" label, would be non-anamorphic.

JoeyOhhhh 03-18-05 11:17 PM

The Nixon has been out since the first Oliver Stone collection, and Buena Vista hasn't bothered to re-release it in 16x9.

Cameron 03-18-05 11:26 PM

BOTFOJ was released last year with an anamorphic transfer. The Doors and Nixon have not.

surfingelectrod 03-19-05 12:00 AM

The BOTFOJ in the Ultimate set is the one released last year.

Cameron 03-19-05 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by surfingelectrod
The BOTFOJ in the Ultimate set is the one released last year.

he is correct

rasalas 03-19-05 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by legend42
Seems strange that releases which came out within the last few months, especially with an "ultimate" label, would be non-anamorphic.

This was just a rush job using existing discs for marketing purposes and nothing else. It was put together by Warner Home Video simply to have a way to promote Stone's new movie, Alexander the Great.

surfingelectrod 03-19-05 11:18 AM

I think it's a great set.

rasalas 03-19-05 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by surfingelectrod
I think it's a great set.

For the movies, yes--if you're into Oliver Stone. For the DVD presentations, no.

auto 03-19-05 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by rasalas
This was just a rush job using existing discs for marketing purposes and nothing else. It was put together by Warner Home Video simply to have a way to promote Stone's new movie, Alexander the Great.

Well that marketing gimmick sure worked great.

Legolas 06-20-05 04:41 PM

Sorry to dig up a dead post, but I was just wondering about the "new" Oliver Stone box set, with DDD's supersale and all. I know the new set has two more movies, but that the packaging is fold-out rather than each title having its own case. Are the DVDs identical, content-wise and transfer-wise? And are the two-disc movies really missing the second disc?

kar10 06-20-05 04:52 PM

The box set is not worth it at all.

Just buy them separate or wait for the HD versions.

surfingelectrod 06-20-05 05:27 PM

I bought mine for 70.00, and to me, it was worth every penny. I just bought The Doors and JFK seperatly for the 2nd discs.