Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Will there be a season set of Spider-Man (90's version) on DVD?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-05, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,

I was thinking, will there be any box sets of the excellent (IMO) 90's Spiderman cartoon on R1 DVD, like there was with the 60's cartoon (Season set) and new MTV cartoon (Season set).
IMO it just seems illogical to release naff "Best of" episodes or 1 saga per DVD (Daredevil v Spiderman, Green Goblin), no?
Old 03-18-05, 11:28 AM
Banned

Search is your friend.

This has only been the 39th time this topic has come up.
Old 03-18-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
Ay! Search is your friend mate, mate.

Bloody 'ell! 'Tis only the 39th time this bloody topic 'as come up.

Cheers!
Translated into proper Queen's English for our English friend mate.
Old 03-18-05, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Guess I'll have to make do with the individual saga DVDs for now then eh? Wasn't there a boxset of all 3 (4?) released?
Old 03-18-05, 01:21 PM

grim_tales, I live in St. Albans too (different state and country though).
Old 03-18-05, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cool I didnt know there was a St. Albans in the US (or is it Canada)? Wonders will never cease
Old 03-18-05, 06:49 PM

I'd expect to see a Spider-Man 90's box set get released when the next live-action movie hits theatres... same with X-Men.
Old 03-19-05, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You could be right - won't that not be until 2007 or something though?
I think there is an earlier "box set" with 3 discs from the Spidey series in it but there have been 5 released so far (with a sixth to come) on R1 at least, The Venom Saga
Old 03-19-05, 08:36 AM
Banned

I don't know why this series and the X-Men series hasn't gotten a "season set" releases. You'd think that with Batman-TAS, Superman-TAS, and now with the Fantastic Four set to come out in July, that these would be no-brainers.
Old 03-19-05, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by grim_tales
Cool I didnt know there was a St. Albans in the US (or is it Canada)? Wonders will never cease
There are actually a few St. Albans in the world.
Saint Albans, United Kingdom
Saint Albans, WV, United States
Saint Albans, ME, United States
Saint Albans, MO, United States
Saint Albans, NY, United States
Saint Albans, VT, United States
Old 03-19-05, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't mean to be an idot, but what do the state codes mean? I'm sure NY is New York isn't it?
Old 03-19-05, 10:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by grim_tales
I don't mean to be an idot, but what do the state codes mean? I'm sure NY is New York isn't it?
From the northeast moving south and then west...
ME = Maine
NH = New Hampshire
VT = Vermont
MA = Massachusetts
CT = Connecticutt
RI = Rhode Island
NY = New York
NJ = New Jersey
PA = Pennsylvania
MD = Maryland
DC = District of Columbia
DE = Delaware
VA = Virginia
WV = West Virginia
NC = North Carolina
SC = South Carolina
OH = Ohio
KY = Kentucky
TN = Tennessee
GA = Georgia
FL = Florida
MI = Michigan
IN = Indiana
AL = Alabama
MS = Mississippi
WI = Wisconsin
IL = Illinois
MN = Minnesota
IA = Iowa
MO = Missouri
AR = Arkansas
LA = Louisiana
ND = North Dakota
SD = South Dakota
NE = Nebraska
KS = Kansas
OK = Oklahoma
TX = Texas
MT = Montana
WY = Wyoming
CO = Colorado
NM = New Mexico
ID = Idaho
UT = Utah
AZ = Arizona
WA = Washington
OR = Oregon
CA = California
NV = Nevada
AK = Alaska
HI = Hawaii

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 03-19-05 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-27-08, 09:59 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No season set yet, but tvshowsondvd.com is reporting that Canada is going to have a release of the story arch The Mutant Agenda, which featured the X-Men in the Spider-Man animated series. Here is the info:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Spi...nt-Agenda/9261
Old 03-28-08, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
I don't know why this series and the X-Men series hasn't gotten a "season set" releases. You'd think that with Batman-TAS, Superman-TAS, and now with the Fantastic Four set to come out in July, that these would be no-brainers.

I think the problem with these is who owns the copyrights to it. They were both on Fox channel at the time but I believe Disney owns the rights to X-Men? It has been discussed before.

With the ones you mentioned the WB owned everything so it was very easy to set up.

IMO these were superior to the Marvel cartoons although I did enjoy them, the quality of animation and the story just can compare to Bruce Timm and co.
Old 03-28-08, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I think it's really odd that there hasn't been some kind of a season release of this yet. I don't think there's a rights issue with this since Disney was able to release those individual volumes a few years ago, although they all of the sudden stopped. I don't recall if they released anything to tie in with the third movie. With the popularity the movies have, you'd think it'd be a no-brainer to release this series. You know, I'm half tempted to buy a bootleg of this entire series at a comic book convention if no one's going to do anything with it.
Old 03-28-08, 02:28 AM

has there ever been any definitive reason as to why they never released x-men as season sets? does disney just not really care for them since they have all their own stuff to worry about, or did the single-disc compilations with the lame cover art not sell well? i had hoped a release was in order when X3 came out... but nada. and now that spidey 3 has passed, there isn't really any tie-in as well. sigh.
Old 03-28-08, 09:20 AM
Banned

I think Disney lost the rights to all Marvel animated series. The Fantastic Four complete animated series went out of print along with everything else Buena Vista had released of Marvel. Either Marvel is carrying the rights or Fox. Whoever has them is missing the boat.
Old 03-28-08, 09:49 AM
Banned

Why aren't the SPIDER-MAN 60's cartoons available anymore?
Every place I've checked doesn't have them only used overpriced copies.
Old 03-28-08, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Buena Vista released that set, and they seem to have lost the rights.
Old 03-28-08, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Buena Vista released that set, and they seem to have lost the rights.
Yup.

Buena Vista no longer has the rights to the Marvel toons from the 60s-90s. And I'm not sure ANYONE knows exactly who currently has them.

It's a mess.
Old 03-28-08, 02:48 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

wow the stuff i never knew, my local used store is trying to sell this set for $300 i asked them why and they said it was rare and i just left the store laughing thats a little 2 much for when i seen this go for $100 or less
Old 03-29-08, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by David Levine
Buena Vista no longer has the rights to the Marvel toons from the 60s-90s. And I'm not sure ANYONE knows exactly who currently has them.
Actually, they DO still have the rights. Marvel is in litigation against them as copyright owners of the properties themselves. But the fact there's a new DVD release coming in Canada and the show is coming back to Toon Disney next month, seems to imply there's been a breakthrough.
Old 03-29-08, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by tanman
I think the problem with these is who owns the copyrights to it. They were both on Fox channel at the time but I believe Disney owns the rights to X-Men? It has been discussed before.
There is no dispute on the copyright of the shows. It's cut and dried there. All Marvel Studios cartoons from the 90s back to the 60s were bought by Saban Entertainment in and around 1996. This includes the 90s Spidey show. Shows like X-Men, Incredible Hulk, Avengers, Silver Surfer and Spider-Man Unlimited were produced by Saban to begin with. Saban was bought by Disney in late 2001, meaning all of the Marvel toons now belong to Buena Vista. They began producing new DVDs for the shows, with new "artwork" for the boxes, and Marvel used that as grounds for a lawsuit in an effort to try to get more money out of the usage of their characters. Almost immediately after that, about two years ago, all Marvel shows left Toon Disney's Jetix block (at least in the US. Internationally, Disney's still running and releasing DVDs for those properties).

Now they're starting to trickle back in. Have they struck a deal? Something clearly changed.
Old 03-29-08, 07:34 PM

Great discussion! The information people are posting here is greatly appreciated. The 90's Spidey & X-Men cartoons are number 1 & 2 on my DVD wish list. Frustrating that they still haven't been released in season sets, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed they eventually will be.
Old 03-29-08, 09:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LordStaxxus
There is no dispute on the copyright of the shows. It's cut and dried there. All Marvel Studios cartoons from the 90s back to the 60s were bought by Saban Entertainment in and around 1996. This includes the 90s Spidey show. Shows like X-Men, Incredible Hulk, Avengers, Silver Surfer and Spider-Man Unlimited were produced by Saban to begin with. Saban was bought by Disney in late 2001, meaning all of the Marvel toons now belong to Buena Vista. They began producing new DVDs for the shows, with new "artwork" for the boxes, and Marvel used that as grounds for a lawsuit in an effort to try to get more money out of the usage of their characters. Almost immediately after that, about two years ago, all Marvel shows left Toon Disney's Jetix block (at least in the US. Internationally, Disney's still running and releasing DVDs for those properties).

Now they're starting to trickle back in. Have they struck a deal? Something clearly changed.

Thanks for that comprenhensive info. I was wondering the reason for the lack of releases of those animated series. I just hope that they release season sets and not compilations like they have done in the past.