DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   The Dinner Game DVD (Universal 1999) vs. The Dinner Game DVD (Lions Gate 2003) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/414678-dinner-game-dvd-universal-1999-vs-dinner-game-dvd-lions-gate-2003-a.html)

SWR 1 03-17-05 09:54 PM

The Dinner Game DVD (Universal 1999) vs. The Dinner Game DVD (Lions Gate 2003)

I bought the original dvd release of The Dinner Game which was a Universal release. It was stolen from me about a year ago, and I repurchased it recently. I did not realize that the dvd I recently rebought was released by a different manufacturer, that being Lions Gate. I can only find reviews of the Univeral release and none for the current Lions Gate release. I am interested to find out if there are any significant differences. The reviews of the Univeral release say that it has an outstanding transfer. The newer Lions Gate version I watched tonight and actually thought to myself that the picture quality looked a bit poor. I cannot remember what I thought of the original release because it has been a while since I have seen it. I would like to know if these two versions share the same exact film transfer. I also remember the Univeral release having artwork on the disc itself, while the Lions Gate release is just silver with writing on top of the disc, which is also a downer for me since I have shakey hands and tend to get fingerprints on discs that have no artwork on the top of the disc. Any help on this issue would be appreciated.

Squirrel God 03-18-05 12:10 AM

I have the Lion's Gate release. Didn't even realise there was another release prior to this one.

darkhawk 03-18-05 07:38 AM

Universal had the rights to release Lion's Gate movies on dvd. But since LG bought out Artisan they've been rereleasing all the ones that they let Universal release as well as the old Artisan ones.

A features on a couple of the Universal to Lion's Gate are the same. And some on the others have more on the LG version.

SWR 1 03-18-05 12:06 PM

What I am most curious about is if the video transfer is the same, because the Lions Gate release looks a little dark (especially during the beginning of the film). I do faintly remember the Universal release being pretty vivid and bright, but that could just be my imagination messing with me.

darkhawk 03-18-05 03:03 PM

had you bought both and compared them?

SWR 1 03-18-05 03:52 PM

I use to own the Universal release, but about a year ago it was stolen. I now own the Lions Gate release, because the Universal one is OOP and the Lions Gate release is the only one available for a decent price. I have been able to find the Universal release for no less than $35. I wish I was able to compare them. I was hoping that dvdtalk, dvdbeaver or dvdverdict would have reviews of both versions. Each website only has reviews of the original Universal release.