Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Amityville 3D?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-05, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amityville 3D?

This may be a completly stupid question that I already know the answer to but... Is the DVD release of Amityville 3D actually in 3D.

So why not just call it Amityville 3 or Amityville The Demon?
Old 03-16-05, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no it isn't in 3-d

that is the title of the film
Old 03-16-05, 05:51 AM

Don't be ashamed of that question as you clearly aren't the only person to think it, as MGM put a sticker on the outside of the new boxed set stating that AMITYVILLE 3-D isn't in 3-D and that no glasses are required.
Old 03-16-05, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I figured that .. I just thought there was a slight star of hope.
Old 03-16-05, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, the on screen title is AMITYVILLE 3-D.

Better to watch this 3-D film flat than to watch the truly awful red/blue anaglyph conversion included in the R2 UK DVD. It looks nothing like the original 3-D version.

In theatres, the traditional clear glasses polarized method was used and it worked pretty well. Since that can't easily be reproduced at home, MGM simply chose to release the film flat. At least it's widescreen for the first time in the U.S. video market.

They should have gone the extra mile and included a field sequential 3-D version (for use with shutter glasses) along with the modified flat print, but since you've got to have $30 worth of extra equipment the studios shy away from this.

We did get the first actual feature film released on a *legit* field sequential 3-D DVD recently, though....Charles Band's 1997 "classic" THE CREEPS! Too bad AMITYVILLE 3-D can't be the second.

Don't think you're missing out without a cheap red/blue version, though...you Do not want to see this or any 3-D film with red/blue glasses.
Old 03-16-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
no it isn't in 3-d

Actually, the advertising and the title IS misleading....

AMITYVILLE 3-D was indeed known as AMITYVILLE: THE DEMON on HBO and the original video release....

Even Universal was careful not to label the JAWS 3 DVD as JAWS 3-D
Old 03-16-05, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, the original VHS/LD release was indeed known as AMITYVILLE 3-D, both on the box and on the on screen title. However, a disclaimer was on the box stating "Home Video Version-Not in 3-D". It's true the TV versions altered the opening title to show "The Demon".

There may be a legal reason for this...even the original theatrical one sheet had a discliamer on it reading "This film is not a sequel to the pictures THE AMITYVILLE HORROR or AMITYVILLE II: THE POSESSION.
Old 03-16-05, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You really aren't allowed to discuss bootlegs here. None of those movies are available on *legit* DVD in field sequential format.
Old 03-16-05, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve Phillips
You really aren't allowed to discuss bootlegs here. None of those movies are available on *legit* DVD in field sequential format.
And had I known they are bootlegs, I wouldn't have mentioned it.
Old 03-16-05, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Too bad the studios don't just put the bootleggers out of business by releasing these movies in quality field sequential 3-D themselves. Literally thousands of illegal copies of some of these have sold on auction sites, and Warner, Universal, Paramount and others studios could have had that money.
Old 03-16-05, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Region 2's Amityville 3-D SE does have the 3-D version on one of the discs with two pairs of glasses included, but it has been converted to the red-blue effect.
Old 03-17-05, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And it looks awful and not at all like the original 3-D.
Old 03-17-05, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
True, but wasn't the title of Friday the 13th Part 3 called Friday the 13th Part 3D originally?
Old 03-17-05, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts
Maybe MGM wants to get sued again.
Old 03-17-05, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Friday the 13th Part 3 didn't have 3-D in the on screen title, no.

JAWS 3-D is the actual on screen title for the theatrical version of the third film in that series, and AMITYVILLE 3-D is the correct title also. While Universal altered the titles for JAWS 3-D to JAWS III for the flat print, as I stated I think there is a reason why they can't do that for the Amityville film that has something to do with an old legal dispute.

Funny, SPY KIDS 3-D: GAME OVER is also the actual title, yet in the 2-D version included in the DVD has the on screen title modified to SPY KIDS 3.

There a lots of instances where advertising and the real title of a project don't match. For example, the first Supes film is simply titled SUPERMAN, but since the advertising added "The Movie" nearly everyone calls it SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE when that has never been the title of the film...

Don't even get me started on "Mary Tyler Moore". That's the real title of the 70s series, yet it always gerts called "The Mary Tyler Moore Show".

Don't forget HALLOWEEN II which was followed by HALLOWEEN 4 and 5 instead of IV and V...

Yeah, I know, who cares! But it's true.

In the case of AMITYVILLE 3-D, MGM had better sticker that puppy or they will get sued....lots more misleading than some little widescreen insert.

Last edited by Steve Phillips; 03-17-05 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-17-05, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I should post some screenshots from the Amityville 3-D region 2 disc so you can judge the quality of the effect.
Old 03-18-05, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I own the R2 disc.