Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Are you swayed by the general public/reviews to buy a DVD?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Are you swayed by the general public/reviews to buy a DVD?

Old 03-17-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Swayed, no, maybe nudged a little if a title sounds interesting enough for a blind buy... Although I mainly read DVD reviews for the A/V quality. DVD Talk Collector's Series means nothing to me.

That said > Are you swayed by the general public/reviews to buy a DVD? < How about to not buy a DVD. That's a rarity, unless it's an A/V quality issue, but I am skipping the Donnie Darko DC based on the - mostly - negative reviews of the changes to the film.
Old 03-17-05, 03:19 PM

I can recall two instances where I blind-bought a contemporary movie based on reviews:

Donnie Darko - terrible mistake
The Incredibles - no complaints

I do blind buy classic film all the time but I'd say that that goes beyond the realm of reviews.
Old 03-17-05, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nudged. I read reviews for titles I'm interested in; I actually focus on the negative reviews/aspects, and think, "If this title worth that cost, even with these negatives?" But I have to be somewhat interested in a blind buy, or it has to be a really good price.
And I read both 'pro' reviews and 'amateur' reviews, including random phrases on boards. But no one single review/reviewer/source pushes me over the edge.

Fliggil: In Atlanta we had, and my parents still read, Eleanor Ringel, who was one of like 2 critics out of 400+ to like Garfield the Movie. I don't think I've ever agreed with her.
Old 03-17-05, 05:30 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

when i read the reviews, i almost never read the review of the actual movie. usually, if i am interested it is a movie i know or don't know and thus don't need to know about the reviewers simple opinion of the movie or if i don't know i would rather know all from viewing and merely glance through that section so as not to read spoilers or just know too much about it.

i know what i like, but reviews can help with ones i am not quite sure and certainly on blind buys when i know nothing, but it is a genre i am highly interested in. then i will closely look at the reviews from many sources and then look at video/audio/extras sections. i am pretty easy and really good quality DVD's can push me over the top for a particular genre or slightly heard about title.

if you can get my drift from my convoluted rant...
Old 03-17-05, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Really? It sounds like the majority of people are never "swayed" to buy a title because they see it talked up, yet I remember when people looked at this thread: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=384544 - SO MANY people were asking where they could find the Japan Limited Edition Boxset! You people who say that you're never "swayed" could not have possibly been any of the people who asked where to get the boxset, right?!
Old 03-17-05, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, every time. ... Don Houston knows his stuff ......
Old 03-17-05, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by danwiz
Really? It sounds like the majority of people are never "swayed" to buy a title because they see it talked up, yet I remember when people looked at this thread: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=384544 - SO MANY people were asking where they could find the Japan Limited Edition Boxset! You people who say that you're never "swayed" could not have possibly been any of the people who asked where to get the boxset, right?!
I'm never swayed by packaging and you won't find me on that thread
Old 03-17-05, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dabaomb
I sometimes buy based on review. The DVD Talk Collector's Series does push me over the top if I'm interested in a title.

The only one that ever was totally the opposite of what I thought was the review on DVDTalk for Attack of the Killer Klowns.....that movie was the biggest "Skip It" ever for me.
Oh my gosh. That movie kills me. I probably like because I first enjoyed seeing it on tv when I was a kid. I was so excited when I got it for $5.50 in the Walmart bin.