Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Rant: Incredibles at Best Buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-05, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Rant: Incredibles at Best Buy

I went to pick up the Incredibles at Best Buy today, but only the full screen editions had slipcases. What's up with that? I wanted to ask why, but I had trouble finding an employee (which is strange since they typically bug the shit out of me). I ended up having to go to Wal-Mart to get one with a slipcase. I think that says a lot that I had to leave Best Buy and go to Wal-Mart to get a proper widescreen dvd.
This happen to anyone else, or is it just my ass-backwards BB?
Sorry if this has been mentioned already. A search didn't pull up anything.
Old 03-16-05, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine had plenty, but i was there at lunch yesterday. Also got the litho.

Funny ya said ya had ta find a clerk.. i couldn't locate First Contact anywhere and had ta ask if they had any left. it was filed under TV SHOWS!!!
Old 03-16-05, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a WS copy with slipcover at my BB. Looks like all of them had slipcovers there.
Old 03-16-05, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I didn't see any copies that didn't have slipcovers here.
What aggravated me was that they didn't have Farscape or Sword of Doom in stock,even though they had a tag up on the shelf for Farscape.
Old 03-16-05, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
I've been going to Best Buy less and less for DVDs. Each time I go there I get a "meh" feeling. Yes, I'll still get stuff there occasionally, but it's not like it used to be.
Old 03-16-05, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts
I got mine at Wal-Mart with the slipcover on widescreen.
Old 03-16-05, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I've been going to Best Buy less and less for DVDs. Each time I go there I get a "meh" feeling. Yes, I'll still get stuff there occasionally, but it's not like it used to be.
It's usually a nightmare....and I agree with the "less & less" comment. I'd go to BB for just about everything.....but they are stocking less and are not getting many new releases in on Super Tuesday...especially horror and martial arts. Now it's down to one fast stop there for a few of the more popular new discs. the other 80% is on-line only.

They had plenty of the slip-covered WS edition of The Incredibles. I forgot about the bonus litho until the young hot blonde at the register reminded me.
Old 03-16-05, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Everything was fine where I went...Costco had at least a hundred of each.
Old 03-16-05, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Maybe they took them off because of people putting more expensive movies or videogames under the slipcases to get them for less. They only bothered to take them off the widescreen ones because they figured the shoplifters would think they're too cool to be seen "buying" a fullscreen version.
Old 03-16-05, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
Maybe they took them off because of people putting more expensive movies or videogames under the slipcases to get them for less. They only bothered to take them off the widescreen ones because they figured the shoplifters would think they're too cool to be seen "buying" a fullscreen version.

I'm so naive - I have never considered that scam.
You are plain evil sir.

My Best Buy had tons of both and tons of lithographs, so I made out fine. I also found the Star Trek: First Contact SE with no problem in SCI-FI where it should be. I think it's just individual Best Buys honestly - mine always seems to be stocked to the gills with discs I don't see at many other B&M Stores.
Old 03-16-05, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Flynn
My Best Buy had tons of both and tons of lithographs, so I made out fine. I also found the Star Trek: First Contact SE with no problem in SCI-FI where it should be.
Same here.
Old 03-16-05, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
They've just gotta stop with this slipcase outside the shrinkwrap nonsense. I got Incredibles at Fry's since they had the lowest price, but it's got a big price tag near the bottom that I'm afraid to peel off since it might take some of the case off with it. It WOULD be incredibly easy to just switch the case inside with a higher-priced title and buy it also, I hope enough people do that so at least then they'll shrinkwrap the slipcases again!! I don't buy used discs, I'm considering just not buying any title packaged like this unless it's at a store that doesn't use price tags!
Old 03-16-05, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Of course if people start putting the case onto another title, stores might demand the studios stop putting out the slip covers. While I could care less, I know people here that would go to war to keep slipcovers coming.
Old 03-16-05, 07:27 PM

I have 3 Best Buy's within a 20 minute ride from my house, and only 1 has the most titles and the best organized of the 3. The other 2,the isles are so tight,one person can barely fit. I know of 2 more stores maybe 45 mins away that i'll check out when i have some time. It's gotta be the individual stores...back on topic... mine had 2 displays for "the Incredibles" one for WS and FS for the other and plenty of Litho's
Old 03-16-05, 07:45 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
Could be. I never considered that. Makes me wonder if the slipcase would've been offered to me had I gotten the widescreen version there. I'm not typically obsessive about dvd packaging, but I wanted it to match the other Pixars on my shelf (at least, everything except the Toy Storys, which don't have slipcases).
Old 03-16-05, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I find myself at BB less and less too. Picked mycopy up at Fry's and the 200+ copies they had all seemed to have slips.
Old 03-16-05, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
I don't mind if they have the slipcovers, just put the fugging SHRINKWRAP over it so the stores can stick their price tags and crap on that instead of the case (and people can't switch the cases inside)!!!
Old 03-16-05, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
As easy as it is to take the slipcase off and put another DVD inside,it's just as easy for the cashiers to check to make sure they match.I wonder why they don't just start doing that.
Old 03-16-05, 08:03 PM

Mine had a slipcover and I pricematched, plus I received the lithograph.
Old 03-16-05, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NotoriousDRE
I have 3 Best Buy's within a 20 minute ride from my house, and only 1 has the most titles and the best organized of the 3.

How could any other scenario be possible? Could 2 of the 3 be the best organized? Could 2 of the 3 have the most titles? Of course, 1 has the most titles and is the best orgainzed.

FWIW, I went to 3 BB's yesterday and they all had WS w/slipcovers (and a ton of Lithographs)

Stew
Old 03-16-05, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Does anyone know if Finding Nemo has a slipcase?
Old 03-16-05, 08:20 PM

We don't have a Best Buy here yet, opening soon Summer 2005 or was it Fall 2005?

But I went to Wal-mart yesterday and all they had was Full Screen of the Incredibles! I looked at the "new releases" area than the Incredibles box area full of dvds just to make sure.

I went to the clerk and asked "do you have any widescreen version of..." before I can finish my sentence, she said no.

Disappointed I just stop by Sears and got it for $15.99 instead of $14.49 or whatever price Wal-Mart was selling it for.

And yea, the widescreens at Sears did not have a slipcase for it.
Old 03-16-05, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by NotoriousDRE
I have 3 Best Buy's within a 20 minute ride from my house
That's the most depressing thing I've ever read on this board.
Old 03-16-05, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by feloosa
That's the most depressing thing I've ever read on this board.
If you think that's bad, I can get to 5, maybe 6, within 30 minutes of my house.
Old 03-16-05, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sonic
Does anyone know if Finding Nemo has a slipcase?
The first run had them. You'll be lucky to find one in a BB or CC nowadays. That seems to be the norm with slipcovers. They throw them on the first run, and then don't bother with them for subsequent pressings.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.