DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Just watched "The Incredibles" DVD - AWESOME

Old 03-19-05, 12:53 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Daniel-A
While it looks and sounds nice, the movie was lacking. Easily the bottom of the pixar list so far.
Or not easily, depending on opinion.
Old 03-19-05, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Daniel-A
While it looks and sounds nice, the movie was lacking. Easily the bottom of the pixar list so far.
I agree that it looks and sounds nice... damn nice.

But I won't get into the movie since this isn't the movie forum. (for the record, I disagree)
Old 03-19-05, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Disappointed with the extras so far. I thought there'd be at least a short featurette on the voice actors but there doesn't seem to be one.
Old 03-19-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Disappointed with the extras so far. I thought there'd be at least a short featurette on the voice actors but there doesn't seem to be one.
Yeah, I noticed there haven't been a featurette on the voice acting on Disney's latest releases ("The Incredibles," "Finding Nemo," "The Lion King"). That was probably the most interesting part of the original Shrek DVD. I forget if Shrek 2 one but the special features were lacking anyway.

I wonder if they CAN'T film their voice actors or something? At least there was a Sarah Vowell mini-movie.
Old 03-20-05, 04:09 AM

Also, disappointed with the features, I went through them and was just like "thats it???"

Jack Jack Attack was great, not really a fan of Boundin' and... well, other stuff was ho-hum. Listened a bit to the commentary track, which was interesting, I'll finish that later. But I thought there'd be so much more. Ah well, movie still kicks butt and not like I paid $$$$ for it. at least with Pixar, you always get a good first release unlike others that come first bare bones with a SE months later.
Old 03-20-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the "Mr. Incredible & Pals" thing is the most enjoyable feature I've seen on any release in recent times. I too feel it needs something about the voice actors, especially with such talent involved.
Old 03-20-05, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by DarthMarino
I think the "Mr. Incredible & Pals" thing is the most enjoyable feature I've seen on any release in recent times.
I agree. It was quite the unexpected delight.
Old 03-20-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DarthMarino
I think the "Mr. Incredible & Pals" thing is the most enjoyable feature I've seen on any release in recent times. I too feel it needs something about the voice actors, especially with such talent involved.
The actual "Mr. Incredible & Pals" cartoon was wack but Samuel Jackson's commentary on it was classic
Old 03-20-05, 03:58 PM

Great DVD, great extras. I haven't gone through everything yet, but Boundin' was a huge disappointment. I can't believe Pixar put their name on that crap. Doesn't stack up to their other shorts at all.
Old 03-20-05, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Great DVD, great extras. I haven't gone through everything yet, but Boundin' was a huge disappointment. I can't believe Pixar put their name on that crap. Doesn't stack up to their other shorts at all.
Boundin' pretty much bored in the theater and I haven't watched it again on the DVD. The thing about it is that it's not that SHORT for a short. Goes on too long.
Old 03-20-05, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dabaomb
The actual "Mr. Incredible & Pals" cartoon was wack but Samuel Jackson's commentary on it was classic
Just watched that myself. Watched the regular first and as I was watching it I was thinking they have to tear this thing apart on the commentary. Samuel L. did just that.
Old 03-20-05, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you watch all the bounding material. It appears it was pretty much an honorary project they gave to one of their senior members. THe animation is fine, as is the music, while the content may not be on par with their features, or previous shorts, a change in direction never hurt anyone.
Old 03-20-05, 09:51 PM

Just got the DVD today, watching it with my mother who is responding very well. Her English is very so-so, so the fact that she's laughing is a good sign of its universal appeal. I haven't watched many extras yet but I'm glad to hear about some Easter Eggs.
Old 03-20-05, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hifisapien
I just finished watching the just released animated DVD "The Incredibles" from Pixar Studios. The picture quality is beyond belief on my 34" Sony XBR 16x9 HDTV. This has the most vivid contrast and color I've seen yet from any animation. Every time I think something is just about as good as it gets, IT GETS BETTER, and this is definitely better than anything Ive ever seen in the genre. Rush to your local DVD rental outlet and check this one out for sure.

Anyone else seen this DVD yet, if so, comments appreciated....
Sapien, I agree with you completely. It's one of those releases that make a good home theater set up shine. The colors are beautiful and the sound is super....one I'll watch over and over again for years to come!
Old 03-20-05, 10:49 PM

I absolutely loved the movie. I saw it at the theater and knew immediately that I would be picking it up on DVD. It is definitely my favorite Pixar film thus far, beating out Toy Story 2 as my previous favorite.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Jack Jack short, as I found it quite hilarious. I donít really care for Boundin', but I am glad they included it on the disc.

I am also glad that all of the bonus-feature material is enhanced for 16:9, though I am rather disappointed with the content. I was most frustrated to find no featurettes on the actors that voiced the characters.
Old 03-21-05, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Originally Posted by Drexl
I thought the disc looked great too (maybe the best transfer I've ever seen), but I noticed something odd that looks like an artifact or something. At 57:07, just after Edna says "Do you know where he is" and they zoom in on Helen, the last frame or so of that shot of Helen looks blocky. Look at the bottom of her eyes especially. It's only a split second, and it could even be just one frame for all I know, but it looks strange. Did anyone else notice this?
Must be your player or TV or something. I freeze-framed, stepped forward and backward, and played it several times at normal speed....didn't notice anything even closely resembling what you're talking about.
Old 03-21-05, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought the movie was pretty lacking also. The DVD presentation seemed great....nice video/sound. Just the movie was lacking the pixar quality. There was no really humor at all.....I mean a pixar movie SHOULD make you laugh....and while I did chuckle once or twice, it was no Finding Nemo or Toy Story
Old 03-21-05, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by resinrats
Better ending (possible spoilers) would have been when the baby was shape shifting at the end, have him turn into Megatron. Then transform into the handgun and put a slug through Syndrome's head. The movie was violent enough that this would have been fine.

what's wrong with you?

as a corollary, what exaclty is jackjacks' super power?
Old 03-21-05, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Originally Posted by pdinosaur
Well, it seems to revolve around shape-shifting, but I believe the movie stated something about the possibilities being wide open, since he's still just a baby, so they really haven't nailed down anything yet. I'm sure there'll be a sequel, so I'm sure it will be explored more then.
Old 03-21-05, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

according to the Jack Jack Attack short, he can
  • fly/levitate
  • teleport through walls
  • move fast
  • turn into the human torch
  • shoot lasers from his eyes
Old 03-21-05, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think they're showing that he's a baby and the superpowers haven't really grown in yet. So he does dozens of different things, most of which won't last. Kind of like real baby traits where they are ambidextrous until their brain finally picks a side. He can't have every super power imaginable, that would be boring.
Old 03-21-05, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
I thought the movie was pretty lacking also. The DVD presentation seemed great....nice video/sound. Just the movie was lacking the pixar quality. There was no really humor at all.....I mean a pixar movie SHOULD make you laugh....and while I did chuckle once or twice, it was no Finding Nemo or Toy Story
I think you're alone in this. We just showed it to some people who had never seen it. If it hadn't been too late, they would've picked up a copy on the way home. This movie was riddled with humor and imitations of superhero and spy movies from the past.
Old 03-21-05, 11:03 AM
Banned

I loved the movie but the extras are boring at best and some are just stupid. The best part should be the making of doc but it was just boring. Usually these kind of docs on Pixar discs are great. The superhero profile and Vowell features were terrible, total waste of space. Even the eggs were lame. As for the music feature, they could have just said we ripped off the early Bond music. If they movie had a flaw, it was the music.
Old 03-21-05, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Picked this up Blind this weekend and absolutely loved it. I'm a comic book geek, though. I found it to be very funny and extremely cool. I really like how the use of powers was handled. I got excited along with Dash and Violet as they used their powers effectively and really dug how proficient Elasti-girl and Frozone were with theirs.
Old 03-21-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
The Sarah Vowell feature is possibly my favorite extra ever on DVD.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.