Reload this Page >

Music Video Collections on DVD?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 03-15-05, 01:24 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back in the glory days of VHS, it was desireable and common to collect the music videos of an artist/band on a tape and then to offer it commercially. These days it seems that the vast majority of music-DVDs are concert discs. Is there a reason why the video collections are now ignored? I have always loved the look (effects & direction) and sound of studio songs much more than the "live" experience. Am I alone or at least in the minority? Or is it that live performances are so much cheaper to produce and that's why this is all that is available? I really want to replace some of my old video collections (preferably updated) like KIM WILDE, MISSING PERSONS, BERLIN, DIVINYLS, PRETENDERS, DURAN DURAN, etc.
Old 03-15-05, 01:45 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

Old 03-15-05, 02:32 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Ah, so we have plenty for some and none for others....sigh

I wonder what can be done about this?
Old 03-15-05, 02:37 PM

Yes those Duran Duran DVDs are nice, but overpriced.
Old 03-15-05, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those three PALM Directors Label discs have quite a few music videos (along with shorts and whatnot). You might want to check them out to see if any of them have some of what you're looking for.

-JP
Old 03-15-05, 04:21 PM

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311265

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=361041
Old 03-15-05, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've also found that a lot of the concert DVDs are at the end/recent years of the artists' career. The PRETENDERS Live disc is great, but what I wouldn't give for a perfomance with Pete and James!! The original lineup made videos, but the Pretender's video collection, available on VHS, is not out on DVD.

I understand the new concert releases. Easier to get approval. Record the band now with the replacement players. Use the newest technology to record. Etc. But someone HAS ta have these gems lying around.

I'll second the OP's request for video compilations of Missing Persons, Berlin, Divinlys and add The Alarm, The Police, Boomtown Rats, Joe Jackson and other '1st wave' artists.
Old 03-15-05, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
If you're a Beastie Boys fan, there's always Criterion's Beatie Boys Video Anthology

Kick-ass sound, multiple angles, remixes. storyboards... it's a great set even if you not a big fan.
Old 03-15-05, 06:32 PM

Don't know if you're just looking for 80's music videos, but here is a link to a pretty good set. I believe you can also buy the three volumes individually.

Director's Label Series Boxed Set

I really wish this set included a Mark Romanek volume though.
Old 03-15-05, 06:42 PM

A friend of mine has been collecting 80's videos on video tape for years.

Currently, he has over 350 VHS tapes full of music videos recorded at various recording speeds of MTV broadcasts complete with commerials, VJ chatter and MTV contest offers. This stuff is almost as great as the videos.

He has been slowly weeding through them for over a year and logging all the videos into an Excel spread sheet.
When he completes this he will begin burning them to DVD.
I can't wait until he finishes to get my copies. Although at this rate it may taken a couple more years to complete.
Old 03-15-05, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i love music video compilations from 80s bands, and i found many only from other regions, and actually region 1 canadian releases only. american releases tend to be of more recent live shows, true.
Old 03-15-05, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a few video comps such as Blur, Smithereens, Clash, Squeeze, Jam, Knack, DEVO, Blondie, Smiths, They Might Be Giants and the Stranglers.

Last edited by Buford T Pusser; 03-15-05 at 11:51 PM.
Old 03-16-05, 07:47 AM

I have collections by Guns N' Roses, Poison, Tesla, Van Halen, Bruce Springsteen, Motley Crue, & Tom Petty.

I would love it if they would release Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, Cinderella, John Cougar, Skid Row, & Warrant.
Old 03-16-05, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
I have a few video comps such as Blur, Smithereens, Clash, Squeeze, Jam, Knack, DEVO, Blondie, Smiths, They Might Be Giants and the Stranglers.
The Jam DVD is amazing. Check it out!
Old 03-16-05, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by TomOpus
If you're a Beastie Boys fan, there's always Criterion's Beatie Boys Video Anthology

Kick-ass sound, multiple angles, remixes. storyboards... it's a great set even if you not a big fan.
The BB Video Anthology is still one of the finest uses of the DVD medium that I have seen. It is one of my favorites of all selections, not just musical.
Old 03-16-05, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by BassDude
I'll second the OP's request for video compilations of Missing Persons, Berlin, Divinlys and add The Alarm, The Police, Boomtown Rats, Joe Jackson and other '1st wave' artists.
Regarding the Police, I consider the Every Breath You Take DVD video compilation essential for Police fans.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...14234?v=glance

Another great compilation I have is Erasure - Hits! The Videos, complete with interviews.

Old 03-16-05, 08:53 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Peter Gabriel PLAY
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s=dvd&n=507846
Old 03-16-05, 08:59 AM
Cool New Member

I am on the other side I guess. When I get a concert DVD and there are video on it I usally only watch them once. I am usally doing stuff when I have a concert dvd on so I put it on and walk away. I also love live music.
Old 03-16-05, 09:02 AM

A topic that I both care about *and* know a little about. That may never happen again so.....

I think its a question of what sells. The video's are already made so it wouldn't cost a lot to put out the DVD's. There might be a "licensing for other formats" issue at work here.

Me? I love the Live disks. I prefer music live played by musicians over studio wizardry. Having the option of turning on (or off!) the in-performance visual is great. F'instance I much prefer having the Kinks Live "One for the Road" (with that hilarious Dave Davies commentary) to just a disk of over polished video's from the Kinks MTV years.

I find that, by buying "live" DVD's, I can catch up on acts that I have passed by over the years. Plus the sound on a lot of these disks are the best audio workout that you can give a home theater.

I agree that some acts are meant for "the video experience" and I wait for their video collections instead of buying their CD's.
Old 03-16-05, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
ahhh yes. I also have the Police video comp.

as well as the Kinks live disc.

and I even admit to owning the ABBA video comp.
Old 03-16-05, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've gotten a bunch of video compilations (Queen, The Police, Rush, Duran Duran, Weird Al). I don't feel like I'm really missing anything though. Maybe more Rush videos.
Old 03-16-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Peter Gabriel's Play compilation is amazing-- sound and vision! Speaking of "sound and vision," don't forget David Bowie's complete video collection on two disks! It has everything up until the very latest album, plus TV appearances and loads of easter eggs, including the complete long-form video for 1984’s "Blue Jean."

I personally would love to see a complete video comp for Men At Work, just because they are an old guilty pleasure. Plus I would love to see a compilation of old obscure videos that were well done for the '80s, with artists like Les Rita Mitsouko, Gary Numan, Wall of Voodoo (if any exist) and others. Hey, how about that old concert video, Urg! A Music War? That was awesome and would be great to see on DVD.
Old 03-16-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
I kinda like the videos simply because 'videos' are hard to find nowadays--what passes for videos, is basically concert clips in many cases.
Plus the video dvds, you can put in and just listen to a track at a time, or your favorite songs/videos. Or have it playing in the background. To me, the concert films have a feel like I need to sit down and watch it all at once.
They're both good, depending on what kind of experience you're looking for. I've got the Weird Al and Dead Milkmen video collections. Of course, the DM one features both videos and some live concert clips, which is cool.
Old 03-16-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have a few video collections, plus I am constantly making my own off of old VHS tapes and what they are playing on VH1 Classic (I tivo the show Alternative and weed out the vids I want from there and burn them to DVD).

I just picked up two video compilations that I didn't know existed until a few weeks ago. Sugarcubes the DVD and most importantly to me Daisy Chainsaw - The Videos.

Other regions seem to get them before we do (if we do at all). There seems to be a real good release in Australia for Midnight Oil that I will be picking up eventually. And I would recommend the Talking Heads - Once in a Lifetime set. 3 CDs and 1 DVD comp of videos. Great stuff

You can see some of the videos I have here
Old 03-16-05, 12:11 PM

Nice music video collection fnordboy!

One thing I'd like to see is a site or even a weekly discussion topic on this board that lists all music DVD releases for the week. I had never heard of those Sugarcubes or Daisy Chainsaw releases, and I don't know of a site that pays attention to music on DVD...especially if it's not a live concert.

Last edited by Joshua B; 03-16-05 at 12:14 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.