DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Willy Wonka and the Choclate Factory (1971) SE? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/414230-willy-wonka-choclate-factory-1971-se.html)

talemyn 03-21-05 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by D.Zero
Personally, I was hoping Burton would have gone with his second choice to play Wonka, Christoper Walken. How cool/creepy would that have been?

:lol: I can just see it . . .

"This Everlasting Gobstopper was in Grampa Joe's pocket when he was came down in the Fizzy Lifting Drink room. He was captured and put in a Oompa Loompa prison camp. Now he knew if the Loomps ever saw the gobstopper it'd be confiscated. The way your grampa looked at it, that everlasting gobstopper was your birthright. And he'd be damned if any loompas were gonna put their greasy orange hands on his grandson's birthright. So he hid it in the one place he knew he could hide somethin'. His ass."

fryinpan1 03-22-05 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by D.Zero
Personally, I was hoping Burton would have gone with his second choice to play Wonka, Christoper Walken. How cool/creepy would that have been?

According to the director commentary on The Rundown DVD, Christopher Walken had never seen Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971) and was therefore reluctant to use the phrase, "Oompah-loompahs" in his final scene. The director provided Walken with a copy of the movie, and after watching it, Walken decided to use the phrase.

marioxb 03-22-05 09:00 AM

DUH! The new movie is called Charlie and the Chocolate Factory because that is what the original book was called. For some reason they called the first movie Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I heard for a long time (back when Marilyn Manson was rumored to be playing as Willy) that the new movie would go by the actual book title.

From http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0067992/literature :

Original Literary Source
Dahl, Roald. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Rogue588 03-22-05 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by marioxb
For some reason they called the first movie Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

For those that missed it...

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Willy Wonka And the Chocolate Factory was retitled 'cuz the studio was afraid that the public would think they were being racist by calling it "Charlie And the Chocolate Factory" since it was released during the Vietnam war.

Bill Needle 03-22-05 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by fryinpan1
According to the director commentary on The Rundown DVD, Christopher Walken had never seen Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971)...

Why does this not surprise me?

marioxb 03-26-05 12:51 PM

I know I'll probably be considered and idiot for not knowing any history, but what does charlie have to do with any war?

FinkPish 03-26-05 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by marioxb
I know I'll probably be considered and idiot for not knowing any history, but what does charlie have to do with any war?

Charlie refers to the Viet Cong (North Vietnamese/communist side) in Vietnam. In military lingo, VC (Viet Cong) is Victor Charles, which was shortened to Charlie.

I believe Charlie is also a UK colloquialism for cocaine, but I don't know if that had anything to do with the name change.

Bill Needle 03-26-05 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by FinkPish
Charlie refers to the Viet Cong (North Vietnamese/communist side) in Vietnam. In military lingo, VC (Viet Cong) is Victor Charles, which was shortened to Charlie.

I believe Charlie is also a UK colloquialism for cocaine, but I don't know if that had anything to do with the name change.

When I was in the service C was just Charlie.

FinkPish 03-26-05 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
When I was in the service C was just Charlie.

In any case, that's where the phrase came from.

Cameron 03-26-05 08:23 PM

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

wewantflair 03-26-05 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rogue588
For those that missed it...

I think this tidbit is inaccurate. According to the documentary on the Willy Wonka SE DVD, Quaker Oats was providing major funding for the movie, and wanted Wonka's name in the title to coincide with its legitimate release of the "Wonka Bar."

NatrlBornThrllr 03-26-05 09:02 PM

Just for the record, as I understand it, the new film will be neither a sequel nor a remake. It's simply it's own adaptation of the novel. They're not using the original film as inspiration, they're using the novel...so it's not a "remake" of the original. And they're not picking up where the old one left off, so it's not a sequel. The film will be it's own entity...no more a remake than the numerous versions of Romeo and Juliet, A Christmas Carol, etc.

-JP

Bill Needle 03-27-05 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by FinkPish
In any case, that's where the phrase came from.

I guess "Victor don't surf!" just didn't have the same impact.

FinkPish 03-28-05 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
I guess "Victor don't surf!" just didn't have the same impact.

Or Vicky. "We got Vicky in the treeline!"

Spiky 03-28-05 02:33 AM

I, for one, am looking forward to it. Depp always plays great wacky characters. And, although I liked the first version, I always liked the book better. As usual, it is more complete and makes more sense. Besides, they got the elevator completely wrong in the end and it has always bothered me. Probably because I like the 2nd book, too. Time to go to the library before July.

darkflounder 03-28-05 03:21 AM

Johnny Depp can do anything! ANYTHING! He could do Darth Vader! He could do Superman! He could do the shark in Jaws!

Just saw Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas for the first time tonight. I've owned the movie for a few years, but never actually finished watching it (the scene in the hotel lobby the carpet growing up the wall always gave me the willies). Freaky movie, but Depp was brilliant!

Johnny Depp can do anything!

grim_tales 03-28-05 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Cameron
and also note....that the original movie was to help launch a candy line...that was another reason for the retitle of willy wonka and the chocolate factory....it is a remake.

and Giles has the sequel down pat...

Interestingly I noticed a "Wonka" cnady line launched in the UK a few years back as well... (chocolate with popping candy in it and stuff).