Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Why no "Play All" button on all TV shows?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Why no "Play All" button on all TV shows?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-11, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Why no "Play All" button on all TV shows?

Ive wanted to know who the morons are that decide this for years. why in H--L
can't the buffoons who churn out theses things (DVD's) understand that like a poster earlier said, sometimes you want to lull yourself to sleep watching a few eps of TV shows you like. WHO is the person that has that say so and WHY when they are asked would they say "No" to a Play All feature on a disc with 6 or so episodes on it? it makes no sense. Does it cost more? how could it? it seems like a programming thing. I recently bought "Car 54 where are you?" season one on DVD. it was a 4 disc set of a tv show from 1961 about two cops in NY. mellow stuff and very funny and fun to watch. The company that produced the DVD was named Shlenechtidy or Shanastedy or some such odd name and they were very proud to bring us the set complete with special features. when i put the disc in it showed a menu of 7 episodes listed with a button next to each one but NO Play All Feature. I was P-ssed Off. i was gonna write a letter to em when i noticed that after the first episode ended, it went right in to the next show. There was an invisible "Play All" button i guess but thats the way it should be standard
Old 06-19-11, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aqua Teen Hunger force season 3(i think) has a very useful play all feature, never been so frustrated or laughed so hard in my life.
Old 06-19-11, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
The Family Guy sets are a good example of when this is useful. A lot of times, I'll play them during the poker nights that we host here at the apartment, assuming there's no game on. They're good because you can look up between hands, get a laugh, and go back to the game. Or, if I'm exposing somebody to the show that's never seen it (this was more applicable a couple years back, but still), I'll want them to sit and watch more than one episode. This is better without interruptions, IMO.

Regarding the, "I never sit and watch TV for hours at a time without moving" comment: Family Guy episodes, minus commercials, are what...25 minutes aiece? You can watch four in a row and would be sitting on the couch for about as long as if you'd popped in a relatively short movie.

-JP
Disney Treasures are a good example of what happens when they don't. They may do it on some but at least some of the cartoon type sets don't, so it's not a great thing to use if you have small kids that want to watch it, unless you like having to manually go to the next cartoon every few minutes.

The other thing I wish TV shows would do is have a new chapter at the end of the opening credits. I don't need to see them each time. Just let me quickly skip that stuff please.
Old 06-19-11, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
The other thing I wish TV shows would do is have a new chapter at the end of the opening credits. I don't need to see them each time. Just let me quickly skip that stuff please.
Amen. I want the opening credits to be one chapter, if there's a pre-opening it should be a chapter, and the closing credits should be a chapter. If I'm dedicated enough to buy a season of TV on DVD, or a series of TV on DVD, I'm pretty sure I am or will become familiar enough with the opening. At least give me the option to skip it.
I don't use Play All that much, but I can definitely see the benefit to it, so yes, that should be a default feature.
Old 06-20-11, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

I don't think the opening credits need to be a separate chapter, but they should definitely be at the end of the first chapter so you can watch the opening sequence then hit skip
Old 06-20-11, 12:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Several sets that I own DO have a "play all" button but I never use it. Why? Because most of the TV series I have are comprised of individual, stand-alone stories.
If in a series (like LOST for example) where ALL the episodes tell a larger tale then the "play all" feature seems more logical but only if when choosing this viewing mode the opening and closing credits where somehow omitted and one could see the story like one big movie.
Old 06-20-11, 12:41 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by paradicelost
Aqua Teen Hunger force season 3(i think) has a very useful play all feature, never been so frustrated or laughed so hard in my life.
That's a hilarious feature on that set!
Old 06-20-11, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by paradicelost
With season 6, the ONLY way to watch the episodes in the correct order is to use '"play all" - the menu lists them in the wrong order (and would be mighty confusing, especially for the first five). I'm not 100% sure if that's intentional or not.
Old 06-23-11, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish there was a studios made the 'previously on's' a seperate chapter as well, as nothing is more annoying then having to fast forward them especially on long arc shows
Old 06-23-11, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

The thing is, on American release discs of anime TV series, everything everybody here has asked for is there. "Play all" is an option on all of them. Different chapter marks for prologue, opening credits, start of the actual episode, eye-catch at the middle, closing credits, and teasers of the next episode. Boom, boom, boom, nothing could be easier. And since the actual show content is about 21 min. total, you can watch three episodes in just over an hour. A boon for the TV on DVD challenge.
Old 12-05-17, 09:04 AM

Hi there - with the TV shows/seasons/discs that don't have the 'play all' option > as soon as you have started to play the first episode on the disc at hand > go to the 'Repeat button' on your remote & press until it changes to 'All' (as the other 2 before it that pop up on screen are chapter & title) by doing that it will auto continue to the next episode - problem solved.. Enjoy !
Old 12-08-17, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

I only recently figured that out on my Oppo UDP-203 and (not so new anymore) Toshiba HD-DVD player- that function is essential for finding hidden stuff when the Title select function is locked out. I used to use the Program function but current players don't seem to have that anymore- I'd still prefer that but will take what I can get.

That said, I haven't seen a TV series disc in a long time that didn't have Play All. I know one of the Monty Python discs actually skips over one episode when you select Play All!