Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

DVDAF users: Do you submit a box set or individual titles?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-05, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For all the DVD Aficionado users out there... if you have a box set, which contains movies that could be bought seperately... say... the Hitchcock Criterion set for example... do you add the box to your collection on the website, or the individual titles? Thanks
Old 03-13-05, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to, and still am, submitting a box set if thats what I'd buy. Seemed simple to just add it the same way I bought it. Of late though, I've decided that on at least some, I might start adding single titles instead so the artwork can be listed for each. Makes no difference in the counting of titles....but it might look better.
Old 03-13-05, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah, I'm with gut. I've always just put the boxed set titles...but I'm thinking about adding all of the individual titles also. If I were to give the link to a friend who wanted me to bring a movie over...I wouldn't want them to go to the "G" section looking for Goodfellas, not see it there, and assume that I didn't have it (since it's under the Scorsese box).

The only thing is, I don't use any subfolders right now, and I currently have 431 listings (490 titles)...so I'm afraid that adding all of the individual covers will push me right to that 500-title limit of what shows up on a page. That, and it'll throw off my count (for example, I just went and added Goodfellas to my list in addition to the Scorsese set, and it bumped my count to 432 listings [491 titles]).

We'll see. Unless the format of the site changes to allow for unlimited titles on a page, and duplicates of a title not upping your totals...I'll probably stick to listing boxed sets only.

-JP
Old 03-13-05, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The last few WB box sets I've been doing by individual titles, and I think I like it better that way ... I'll probably go back and "break up" the previous box sets I have.
Old 03-13-05, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I do it by box set. It just seems easier that way to me, and I don't use DVDAf to show off the 'numbers' of my set, just exactly what I have.
Old 03-13-05, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I just put in the box set.
Old 03-13-05, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I do individual titles, unless it's either a trilogy, series or a boxset in which the DVDs aren't sold individually.
Old 03-13-05, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

box set...
Old 03-13-05, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

on DVDAf, I always just list the box.....but on Profiler I list the titles.
not sure why I do it differently, I just do, and always have.
Old 03-13-05, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I enter them as a box, but often I break up boxes and keep only 1 or 2 titles so I end up going back and deleting the box then rentering. Just my experience.
Old 03-13-05, 05:45 PM

What sets have you done that with, and what do you do with the boxes after you've broken up the set? I ask because I have more than a few "boxed sets" that I've pieced together individually...and I'd love to be able to find a box for them after the fact.

-JP
Old 03-13-05, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I prefer to list the titles individually because I like being able to see the cover artwork of each DVD in my collection.
Old 03-13-05, 08:22 PM

I go by box set. I'm not trying to pad my collection to try and make it look like I have more than what I have.
Old 03-13-05, 08:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
Yeah, I'm with gut. I've always just put the boxed set titles...but I'm thinking about adding all of the individual titles also. If I were to give the link to a friend who wanted me to bring a movie over...I wouldn't want them to go to the "G" section looking for Goodfellas, not see it there, and assume that I didn't have it (since it's under the Scorsese box).

The only thing is, I don't use any subfolders right now, and I currently have 431 listings (490 titles)...so I'm afraid that adding all of the individual covers will push me right to that 500-title limit of what shows up on a page. That, and it'll throw off my count (for example, I just went and added Goodfellas to my list in addition to the Scorsese set, and it bumped my count to 432 listings [491 titles]).

We'll see. Unless the format of the site changes to allow for unlimited titles on a page, and duplicates of a title not upping your totals...I'll probably stick to listing boxed sets only.

-JP
Oh, the classic title/director elitist can't be bothered to come up with some simple subfolders to keep the 500 title limit with DVDAficionado from causing a problem...for shame.

Here's an idea...make a subfolder for your Criterions...that'll take care of about 50 or so...
==============================

To answer the thread question, I generally break up my box sets and list them per title, despite some having a bonus disc that isn't listed, such as the Alien Quadrilogy. I have each listed as their "Special Edition" version. Same thing goes with the Rambo Trilogy Special Edition. Comes with a 4th bonus disc, but I have the set listed as their separate titles.

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 03-13-05 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-13-05, 08:41 PM

Haha, wow, are you seriously following me from thread to thread because we had a debate over whether or not certain directors should be considered important or not? Grow the fuck up. You claim you're 31, how about you act like it.

-JP
Old 03-13-05, 08:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
Haha, wow, are you seriously following me from thread to thread because we had a debate over whether or not certain directors should be considered important or not? Grow the fuck up. You claim you're 31, how about you act like it.

-JP
No, I'm not following you...apparently we're the only couple of smucks on here on a Sunday night.
Old 03-13-05, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I bought the box, I list the box somewhere in my folders. It doesn't always make complete sense, but I'm not a public library anyways.
Old 03-13-05, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by natevines
I do individual titles, unless it's either a trilogy, series or a boxset in which the DVDs aren't sold individually.
Ditto for me.
Old 03-13-05, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

sometimes i do both
Old 03-13-05, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
just add the boxset.
Old 03-14-05, 08:14 AM

I list them by how I buy them. For example, I did not buy the Die Hard box set, but I have the indivual releases listed. Star Wars was purchased as a box set, so I list it as a set.
Old 03-14-05, 08:22 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
Oh, the classic title/director elitist can't be bothered to ...
Mike, this type of comment really isn't necessary. Please don't do it again.
Old 03-14-05, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Box set listing for me. I'll add an individual title occasionally (to a "Loaned Out" folder) when I lend a DVD out from a box set, but that title disappears when I get it back.

I even deleted my individual LOTR EE titles and added the box set listing when I got my EE slipcover in the mail. For some reason I like to have everything consolidated as much as possible.
Old 03-14-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Usually I just put the box set, unless I have a specific reason for listing the individual disks (for example, I have a separate category for the AFI 100 Years, 100 movies, so I'll list those separately even if they came as a set).

Edit: I don't double list them in those cases--I list the individual disks instead of the set, but YOU should list them however you like. As far as padding, I think by the time you get to a hundred DVDs or so, the last thing you're concerned with is padding your collection to make it look bigger.

Last edited by Ginwen; 03-14-05 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-14-05, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dango727
I go by box set. I'm not trying to pad my collection to try and make it look like I have more than what I have.

I hope you aren't referring to everyone when you say that, because I put both the box set and the individual titles (which I then note are in that certain box set).

It's just my preference for my thoughts on my collection.

Last edited by conscience; 03-14-05 at 02:00 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.