DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Will we ever see "The Night That Panicked America" on DVD? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/413920-will-we-ever-see-night-panicked-america-dvd.html)

Cocopugg 03-13-05 04:15 AM

Will we ever see "The Night That Panicked America" on DVD?

This was one of the best made for TV films of all time! It was an excellent portrayal of the events leading up to Orson Welles' (and his Mercury Theater's) infamous 1938 radio broadcast of H.G. Wells' "War of the Worlds", which drove listeners in the country into mass hysteria, believing we were being invaded from Mars! I can't believe this one is not out yet! Has there ever been any mention of a possible DVD release? Thanks for the info!

SteveJKo 03-13-05 12:11 PM

I remember seeing this film on ABC back in '76. I've got to agree with you, it's one of the best made-for-tv films ever made. Unfortunately it's never been released to home video in any format. I'm always looking for word that it's coming, but up to now..... still nothing.

mcarver 03-13-05 07:12 PM

Perhaps, I can't verify that this is the release, but Ventura has announced that they are distributing Day That Panicked America: H.G. Wells on 6/28/05. This is currently all the info I have. Here's hoping!

NatrlBornThrllr 03-13-05 07:40 PM

I must say, this film sounds very, very interesting. I've got my fingers crossed that it gets a DVD release, because the OP alone sparked my curiosity. Another made-for-TV title that I'd love to see get a DVD release is Harrison Bergeron.

-JP

NatrlBornThrllr 03-13-05 07:50 PM

I've submitted the title to DVDAF. Hopefully it'll get added so we can toss it on our Wishlists and be reminded to keep up with any speculation over a potential release.

-JP

Cocopugg 03-14-05 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by mcarver
Perhaps, I can't verify that this is the release, but Ventura has announced that they are distributing Day That Panicked America: H.G. Wells on 6/28/05. This is currently all the info I have. Here's hoping!

According to the details on that page, it is indeed that movie. However, I'm confused as to why they list it as "Day That Panicked America: H.G. Wells", when the actual title was "The Night That Panicked America"?

NatrlBornThrllr 03-14-05 03:14 AM

Probably just a mistake. The IMDB link goes to the proper page.

-JP

mcarver 03-19-05 03:02 PM

Ventura has finally updated their page with details of their release of Day That Panicked America: The H.G. Wells’ War Of The Worlds Scandal

It appears to be a new production and not the 1975 TV movie.

Cocopugg 03-19-05 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by mcarver
Ventura has finally updated their page with details of their release of Day That Panicked America: The H.G. Wells’ War Of The Worlds Scandal

It appears to be a new production and not the 1975 TV movie.

Thanks for the update. Since I thought it was the 1975 film, I put an order in for the DVD. I guess I'll go retract my order now.

Ttiberius 03-19-05 06:50 PM

I've got it on DVD-R ,thanks to the Scream channel here in Canada that plays it once in a while :) .I'd buy a proper release of this in a second,I've always loved this movie & I'm a Big Vic Morrow fan .