DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Loaned out box set and booklet did not come back. What would you do? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/413795-loaned-out-box-set-booklet-did-not-come-back-what-would-you-do.html)

Buford T Pusser 03-11-05 11:25 PM

Loaned out box set and booklet did not come back. What would you do?

I let a co-worker that I don't see that often borrow Vol. 1 of the SCTV box set. He kept the things for several months. So I asked him about it Thursday and he'd forgotten that he had it. He brought it in the next day and I found it on my desk. The 20 some page booklet/episode guide is not in there.

I haven't gotten in touch with him yet but wondered: What would you do? I somehow think I can't ask him to buy another set so I can get the booklet. Maybe I'll get lucky and he'll find the booklet.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Brent L 03-11-05 11:27 PM

Here is the real question:

Why would you let "a co-worker that I don't see that often" borrow such a set?

I'd bring it up, and try my best to guilt the moron into at least offering you something in return.

TomOpus 03-11-05 11:34 PM

If he's stupid enough to not return it for months then he's stupid enough to forget it had a booklet that's probably laying around the pile of other crap in his room.

bboisvert 03-11-05 11:36 PM

Bring it up casually... hope he finds the book... but ultimately let it go.

I wouldn't make a huge issue out of it. Consider it a lesson learned -- don't lend out stuff to random people. And certainly nothing that you ever expect to get back in the condition you originally had it in.

Buford T Pusser 03-11-05 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
Here is the real question:

Why would you let "a co-worker that I don't see that often" borrow such a set?

I'd bring it up, and try my best to guilt the moron into at least offering you something in return.

At the time I was working with him on a project and communicating with him quite a bit. But since that's finished I don't see him very often right now.

Rehevkor 03-11-05 11:41 PM

Fifty lashes.

DVD Polizei 03-11-05 11:47 PM

That sucks. I guess chalk it up as an experience (unless you want a confrontation and possible bad stuff happening at work--that's why I don't lend out anything to people who I work with--and friends are tough enough), and find out if you can order the booklet from the movie company.

Squirrel God 03-11-05 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
I found it on my desk

Leave a deposit on his desk.

dollfins1 03-11-05 11:49 PM

when i "loan" out my dvds (usually 1 at a time) i put them into a single cd sleeve. there's no reason to loan out your box, booklet etc. as well

Maxflier 03-12-05 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by dollfins1
when i "loan" out my dvds (usually 1 at a time) i put them into a single cd sleeve. there's no reason to loan out your box, booklet etc. as well

I don't loan out any of my DVD's anymore because i got tired of people not returning stuff,but when i used to loan things i always did the same as dollfins1.

dmpre99 03-12-05 01:03 AM

i used to loan some of my dvds but they always came back scratched so now i just act like i dont have a dvd collection anymore

Dabaomb 03-12-05 01:06 AM

sorry for your loss. Mrs. Pusser would not be happy ;)

Abob Teff 03-12-05 01:27 AM

"Dear Friend,

Some time ago I had lent you the extremely hilarious DVD boxset "SCTV." I really hope that you enjoyed it as much as I do. However, when you returned the boxset, it was incomplete. Included in the boxset was a booklet, but it was not returned. Now I understand that not everybody is as anal as I am. I also understand that we lead hectic lives and a booklet or a DVD is not first and foremost on our minds. However, unless the booklet is returned, I will have to charge full replacement cost to your account. If not paid in a timely manner, your account will be urned over to collections. NOW COUGH IT UP ARSEHOLE!"

Or you could chalk it up as a lesson learned . . .

Abob Teff 03-12-05 01:28 AM

Oh yeah, then sleep with his wife and daughter for revenge!

wolverine1028 03-12-05 02:09 AM

I also put the borrowed DVDs in a sleeve. I have had people returned my DVD boxes all jacked up. That's a real pisser!

nightmaster 03-12-05 04:33 AM

There have been several threads here on this subject and the posts have always been interesting to read; sooner or later, if you loan something to casual friends, you're likely to get burned. I just don't loan out my stuff. Does that make me a prick? Mayyyybe..... but I don't ask to borrow other peoples' things. If I want something I buy it. Loaning out a DVD is always a gamble. If it doesn't come back, how much clout do you have to get it back or any reimbursement? Non- DVDers aren't likely to take a missing booklet seriously, and would probably look at you like some sort of nutcase if you ask them to buy you a replacement set because of it.

MovieExchange 03-12-05 07:00 AM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this - start telling all the other co-workers that this guy is not to be trusted if he asks to borrow something. You'd be amazed at how quickly people can find "lost" items when others will not lend him anything.

Qui Gon Jim 03-12-05 07:24 AM

I loan out any DVD that comes in a cardboard container (box sets, digipaks snappers) in plain old jewelcases. I also remove any booklets or inserts that I care not to lose from amarays.

mzupeman2 03-12-05 07:32 AM

I don't lend out DVD's anymore. I had some friends who were 100% reliable, some friends who would return it all in good shape but I had to wait months to get it back, and then of course, others who would return my dvd's with:
-a damaged box
-a scratched disc
- (and this is the worst) having a DVD returned to you that's not even secured on the spindle inside... could they have cared less?

So, I stopped loaning out my DVD's, period. Even to those who were reliable. It's not worth having to replace even a single DVD... because that money could be well spent on a DVD you want to add to your collection, instead of having to waste money to replace something your careless 'friend' ruined.

Bandoman 03-12-05 07:58 AM

Kill him.

The Infidel 03-12-05 08:26 AM

Send him a bottle of Elsinore with a dead mouse in it, and a message that says "this will be you if I don't get that booklet back", and sign it "Guy Caballero".

matome 03-12-05 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
So, I stopped loaning out my DVD's, period. Even to those who were reliable. It's not worth having to replace even a single DVD... because that money could be well spent on a DVD you want to add to your collection, instead of having to waste money to replace something your careless 'friend' ruined.

:up: Let them join Netflix or Blockbuster.

talemyn 03-12-05 08:35 AM

Dangit, BTP!! I made you that bat-carrying smiley for a reason . . . NOW USE IT!!!! :mad:

TylerDurden_73 03-12-05 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Bandoman
Kill him. SLOWLY

fixed:)

Ahab 03-12-05 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this - start telling all the other co-workers that this guy is not to be trusted if he asks to borrow something. You'd be amazed at how quickly people can find "lost" items when others will not lend him anything.

Sounds like great advice if you want to make matters worse. -rolleyes-
Unless this guys co-workers are as much into dvd's and collecting them as he is, he will probably just sound to them like a PITA-crybaby.
As others have already wisely suggested, chalk this one up to experience.