Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Zatoichi (old films) - Will I like them? What is available?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 03-11-05, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

(Mods, if this needs moved to Movie Talk, feel free)

I just found a used copy of Zaotichi 1: The Tale of Zatoichi today, and I decided to give it a shot, since I have seen several of these around.

I liked Lone Wolf and Cub, as well as The Razor, so should the Zatoichi films be in the same vein? (err...)

What films are available, and are there any missing, and is the TV show available? Are there any quality problems, editing, or non-OAR versions that I need to avoid?

Feel free to discuss the various films in this thread, as well (especially if it gets moved... but no spoilers, please...)
Old 03-12-05, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
I can't really help you,but i also bought Vol. 1 the other day so i am getting ready to see what this series is all about too.I watched the newer Zatoichi movie that came out a few years ago and really liked it,so i decided to pick up Vol. 1 of the old series and hopefully it will be just as good.
Old 03-12-05, 03:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if my memory is correct, there are 26 films in total (not including takeshi kitanos zatoichi film) that date from the 1960s to 1989... the first two are in black and white and apparently arent anamorphic. the rest are colour and anamorphic releases; no.16 in the films isnt licensed and thats an issue to be resolved. they are roughly $15 each so pretty cheap...

somewhere hidden away at thedigitalbits.com is a good breakdown and i think reviews of them all...
Old 03-12-05, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
If you get the Independent Film Channel, you can check them out - they have been broadcasting these every Saturday at 2:30pm EST.
Old 03-12-05, 12:32 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 116 Likes on 75 Posts
There is a set that was released this week. This is a collection of Zatoichi discs previously released by AnimEigo.

Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo
Zatoichi the Outlaw, aka The Blind Swordsman's Rescue
Zatoichi Goes to the Fire Festival
Zatoichi at Large
Zatoichi in Desperation
Zatoichi's Conspiracy
Zatoichi meets the One-Armed Swordsman

They are relatively nice transfers and come in a collector's box set at a good price, at about $80 for the set of seven DVDs.
Old 03-12-05, 02:00 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can score the 7 disc box set at digital eyes for 59.00(free shipping)! Awesome films with beautiful anamorphic transfers!

js
Old 03-12-05, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 441 Likes on 249 Posts
I own all the Home Vision films & I've watched around 9 of them so far and have enjoyed them all.

I pre-ordered the box-set earlier this week from DVDSOON for $45, they must have raised the price a little since then.