DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
ALF season 2 in August but , CUT!!!!!!!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3074

Uncut in poor qaulity? BS Lions Gate, I'm not buying your story or these DVDs
Old 03-10-05, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
same as the first season...what a rip off....people want tv on dvd so they can watch commercial free uncut episodes....

BS on the tapes being in better condition...

send those complaints to [email protected]
Old 03-10-05, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Alf was always on my "maybe someday" DVD list. Mildly entertaining (in a silly way), the type of thing that I'd pop in every once in a long while when I just wanted to veg.

However, I wasn't on the fence for long. Lion's Gate made it painfully easy to make a decision -- I didn't buy Season 1. I won't be buying Season 2.

Syndicated cut episodes?!? Idiots.
Old 03-10-05, 04:40 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Lame.
Old 03-10-05, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't remember the originals it has been so long. I know they are cut and it is disturbing, but they put the sets out dirt cheap and we are not talking about a cinematic masterpiece. I can live with the syndicated in this instance. I know I am asking to be jumped on by the forum for a dissenting opinion, and if it were a show higher on my prority list I might change my mind, but that is just my thoughts.
Old 03-10-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thank you Lions Gate,you saved me some money by coming out with crap,my wallet also thanks you.
Old 03-10-05, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If they still have both versions, just the syndicated video looks better, they could have recut the episodes by taking the additional scenes from the original broadcast version and recutting them into the syndicated version. Yeah, I guess there would be inconsistency in the picture quality, but Im sure most people would have preferred this to cut versions. Unfortunately all of this effort would require them to actually care about the television show in question.
Old 03-10-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am not a fan of Alf, but I would never buy a season set if they used syndication cuts on the set. The main reason I like to buy TV shows on DVD is to see the episodes uncut.
Old 03-10-05, 06:00 PM

I almost blind purchased season one, but once i read that they used syn. episodes... i passed.

And passing again on season 2....
Old 03-10-05, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Season 1 was a must-have on release date. With this knowledge, Season 2 would be "Maybe pick up if it's $15 or so." Let's hope they get it right on Blu Ray.
Old 03-10-05, 08:42 PM
Premium Member

Received 150 Likes on 110 Posts
Here's some happier ALF news: Video Service Corp, the Canadian company that previously released The ALF Files (which contained uncut episodes), will be putting out Project: ALF on April 12. While this is a Canadian release, Amazon.com is stocking it ($10.49), and releasing it a week earlier than in Canada. Every set will come with a free ALF keychain!
Not so much good as far as ALF (original characters are not here), but I'm glad to see it coming out.
Old 03-10-05, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by LBPound
Season 1 was a must-have on release date. With this knowledge, Season 2 would be "Maybe pick up if it's $15 or so." Let's hope they get it right on Blu Ray.

No offense, but I doubt there will be another release of ALF. I consider it a marginal title (old and does not really seem to hold up that well with age) and feel lucky that it gets any release at all, let alone another release in the next few years. ALF fans should just be happy to have anything. My goal is under $20 around $15 shipped.
Old 03-11-05, 12:48 AM
Banned

Well at least we are getting it period. I'm hoping for some more funny menus by Alf again. Didn't they do 6 seasons of the show?
Old 03-11-05, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fuck em. I rented the first season and told myself that is they got their stuff together for the second season....I would suck up my pride and get season 1 just to have it. While this was my favorite show growing up and one I'd love to have for years to come....I'm passing until it is done right. Which may be never.
Old 03-11-05, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
I understand people saying "Its not one of the greatest movies/TV shows of all time, so why not buy it if its cut a bit". The problem is, if we support this, other studios will do it. Sometimes its understandable if things are cut, like innapropriate lines that do not reflect us anymore, or music rights (Which is what's holding up The Wonder Years).. Oh well. I never really watched Alf, so I'm not interested.
Old 03-11-05, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Cut nothing...No way in Hell i'm the wonder years if they cut the music...

Cut no lines...that's the way it was...who cares how it reflects on us today. That movie is not today. Al jolsen in blackface has nothing to do with the year 2005. Uncut or unbought, their choice.

Agreed that if one show can get away with it, many can. If no one bought a cut season, someone would figure out we better give them what they want.
Old 03-11-05, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
Cut nothing...No way in Hell i'm the wonder years if they cut the music...

Cut no lines...that's the way it was...who cares how it reflects on us today. That movie is not today. Al jolsen in blackface has nothing to do with the year 2005. Uncut or unbought, their choice.

Agreed that if one show can get away with it, many can. If no one bought a cut season, someone would figure out we better give them what they want.

Who is going to convince the millions of DVD buyers who don't come to online forums.
Old 03-11-05, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by speedyray
Who is going to convince the millions of DVD buyers who don't come to online forums.
No one will...and that is the sad news. However companies take one write in and use it as the thoughts of many. So take the time to shoot an e mail over to tell them you won't buy it or anything else if its cut.
Old 03-11-05, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bad idea.

Thanks Lions Gate, you saved me some money.

Will not buy cut episodes.
Old 03-11-05, 09:42 AM

I still have not caved and bought season 1 and I dont plan on buying season 2. Hopefully when Lion's Gates distribution contract runs out, someone else will do it right.