Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Classic Comedies Collection Canadian Catastrophe?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 03-04-05, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

I have not been able to find the Warner Classic Comedies Collection anywhere, it seems, with the major Canadian stores. HMV does not have it listed nor does Chapters and Indigo. Smaller stores like Music World only list the individual titles. Even the videos stores don't seem to have this.

Any canuck have any luck with this great set?
Old 03-04-05, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check over at HTF. There is a thread over there discussing this collection in which one of your fellow Canucks claims the box set isn't going to be available at local retailers, as the Canadian rights to To Be or Not to Be are not held by Castle Hill (the U.S. rights holder whom Warner Home Video dealt with.) His suggestion to his countrymen was to order the set from Amazon.com, not Amazon.ca.
Old 03-04-05, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Meanwhile, Amazon.com shows no signs or shipping out my pre-order on this box set - not happy.
Old 03-04-05, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same here Marty. I also could not find one at Media Play, Best Buy, Movie Trading Co., or Borders. Does this box set exist? I'm dying here!
Old 03-04-05, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

marty888 & Kerborus: There is hope. I just got a "your order has shipped" email from Amazon.com, so they have finally gotten the Classic Comedies Collections box sets in stock (like most DVDTalkers, I preordered it back in early January.)
Old 03-05-05, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love the alliteration in the topic!
Old 03-05-05, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by marty888
Meanwhile, Amazon.com shows no signs or shipping out my pre-order on this box set - not happy.
I'm in the same boat with my pre-order, but the long wait for Warner boxes is getting to be a ritual at Amazon. However, the availability has changed from 5-6 days, to usually ships in 24 hours on the web site. I don't think it is entirely Amazon's fault since the box appears to be scarce almost everywhere, but have a strong feeling the same thing is going to happen again in a few weeks with the Warner Classic Musical Collection. Hopefully the orders will start going out over the next few days.
Old 03-05-05, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
I'm in the same boat with my pre-order, but the long wait for Warner boxes is getting to be a ritual at Amazon. However, the availability has changed from 5-6 days, to usually ships in 24 hours on the web site. I don't think it is entirely Amazon's fault since the box appears to be scarce almost everywhere, but have a strong feeling the same thing is going to happen again in a few weeks with the Warner Classic Musical Collection. Hopefully the orders will start going out over the next few days.
While I waited for over month after the release of the Legends box (preodered 3 months prior from amazon) I did receive the Gangster box 2 days after the release and Flim Noir box 3 days. Both shipped on release day. So I don't think it's ritual. I also don't think it's Amazon's fault per se.
Old 03-05-05, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RevKarl
Check over at HTF. There is a thread over there discussing this collection in which one of your fellow Canucks claims the box set isn't going to be available at local retailers, as the Canadian rights to To Be or Not to Be are not held by Castle Hill (the U.S. rights holder whom Warner Home Video dealt with.) His suggestion to his countrymen was to order the set from Amazon.com, not Amazon.ca.
Thanks Rev. Our HMV.com, which is a subsiderary of AMAZON, I believe, has it available online but, alas, I don't have a credit card so that flushes that down the tubes. This would explain why every time I have seen the single discs To Be or Not to Be was not in the bunch. Curses! At the moment I will see if I can get a buddy to lend me his credit card or, if not, I will just snag Baby and Philidelphia Story. I do hope they don't run into this issue with the Controversial Classics Collection but that would allow me to do more nifty thread subject alliteration.
Old 03-05-05, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by garolo
While I waited for over month after the release of the Legends box (preodered 3 months prior from amazon) I did receive the Gangster box 2 days after the release and Flim Noir box 3 days. Both shipped on release day. So I don't think it's ritual. I also don't think it's Amazon's fault per se.
It appears you were one of the few that got lucky ordering from Amazon. But from my experience and stories I heard from others the delays of Warner box sets is becoming a ritual, especially if ordered at Amazon. I've pre-ordered just about every new Warner box at Amazon and received very few on time, while other DVD pre-orders typically get to me on or before the official release date. The shipping delays on the Warner sets have ranged from only a few days to over a week for me. On my most recent Warner pre-order at Amazon for the Gangster Collection I got so fed up with waiting that I finally ended up cancelling the order and purchasing it from Costco instead. I'm sure a lot of the problems at Amazon were caused by all the STL orders and a limited supply allocated from Warner. However I guess this is a situation were YMMV from each person and title ordered.
Old 03-05-05, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I forgot to mention that my Comedy Classic order is finally shipping soon, which means it will probably arrive Monday or Tuesday next week (week late).
Old 03-05-05, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

HMV.ca and Amazon.ca (basically the same site) does not have this available for order now. Only NEW/USED from online sellers. I hope it has something to do with lack of inventory.
Old 03-05-05, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just got an email from Amazon.ca regarding one a sent to them about the collection. Not good news:

Greetings from Amazon.ca.

We rely on our suppliers to let us know when or if items will be
available in the future. Currently they have not been able to give
us any specific information as to whether or not the Classic
Comedies Collection will be available again.

If we receive more information, we will be certain to update our
website so you may want to check back from time to time. I'm sorry
that we do not have more specific information to provide you at this
point.

Thank you for your interest in Amazon.ca.
Old 03-06-05, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazon.ca has now removed the title from being ordered:

THIS TITLE IS CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE. If you would like to purchase this title, we recommend that you occasionally check this page to see if it has become available.

The above not was not there a few hours ago.

ALSO OF NOTE:
If it is To Be or Not To Be that is the problem with the box set's release in Canada Amazon.ca does not seem to have issue with selling it as a single disc.

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASI...500109-6909940

Last edited by ViewAskewbian; 03-06-05 at 02:01 AM.
Old 03-06-05, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Amazon.ca has now removed the title from being ordered:

ALSO OF NOTE:
If it is To Be or Not To Be that is the problem with the box set's release in Canada Amazon.ca does not seem to have issue with selling it as a single disc.

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASI...500109-6909940
They are selling To Be... as an import. That means they are selling the US version. If they had the box set as an import we'd be all set.
Old 03-06-05, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw the individual DVD copies of the collection for sale at Metro Video here in Montreal, yet they didn't have the box set on the shelves. Maybe Warner wants to sell a few singles before the release of the box, so that some suckers will be forced to double-dip?

My pre-order on amazon.ca now shows a delivery date between march 8 and march 14. They better not mess this up!
Old 03-06-05, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Pressplay
My pre-order on amazon.ca now shows a delivery date between march 8 and march 14. They better not mess this up!
You will not be receiving your box from amazon.ca. Once an item is listed as "out of stock" it is history.
Old 03-06-05, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok so Canada is screwed, so how about those of us in the U.S.?
Old 03-06-05, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Kerborus
Ok so Canada is screwed, so how about those of us in the U.S.?
It's available in the U.S.
Old 03-06-05, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by gjamesm
You will not be receiving your box from amazon.ca. Once an item is listed as "out of stock" it is history.
AAAARGLLLLLGRRRRRRR!

That is all.
Old 03-07-05, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mine shipped from Amazon on Sunday morning.
Old 03-07-05, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
It's available in the U.S.
Its also $41.52 at Sam's Club. Blows away Amazon's price. I picked up both the Gangster and Classic Comedy collection at Sam's for those prices.
Old 03-07-05, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
Its also $41.52 at Sam's Club. Blows away Amazon's price. I picked up both the Gangster and Classic Comedy collection at Sam's for those prices.
Blows away? Not according to my math.

If you account for STL (one of my last orders) I paid $43.46. With tax I would be paying $44.01 at Sam's, if I had a membership. Since I don't I get to pay 5% more making that $46.21.
Old 03-07-05, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by garolo
Blows away? Not according to my math.

If you account for STL (one of my last orders) I paid $43.46. With tax I would be paying $44.01 at Sam's, if I had a membership. Since I don't I get to pay 5% more making that $46.21.
STL is no more, so unless you got lucky and ordered it a long time ago Sam's is much cheaper. Not to mention I can just walk in and buy it instead of waiting for it to ship. If you don't have a Sam's Club membership don't worry about it however there are a lot of members here that do.

The Gangster Collection is $51.69 at Amazon and the Comedy one is $48.29.

Compare that to $44 or so at Sam's depending on your sales tax rate and I think it is worth the trip there if you have a membership.

Last edited by darkside; 03-07-05 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-07-05, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
STL is no more, so unless you got lucky and ordered it a long time ago Sam's is much cheaper. Not to mention I can just walk in and buy it instead of waiting for it to ship. If you don't have a Sam's Club membership don't worry about it however there are a lot of members here that do.

The Gangster Collection is $51.69 at Amazon and the Comedy one is $48.29.

Compare that to $44 or so at Sam's depending on your sales tax rate and I think it is worth the trip there if you have a membership.
It was worth the trip to me - Sam's was the only place I found it locally, the low price was a bonus.

If Costco had bothered to stock it I'm thinking I could have had it for a few bucks cheaper but no luck there.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.