Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

How Has Your Luck Been W/ Buying New and Used DVD's On EBAY?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-05, 03:59 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anytime ive bought them new off ebay, theyve been great. Used, not so good, i hardly ever get the inside insert with the dvd, and all of the ones ive bought used on ebay, play, but some have skips, etc. some "not so honest" sellers out there.

How has your experience been with buying new and used dvd's off EBAY?

Last edited by kornboy; 02-28-05 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-28-05, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've never had a problem with any of the DVD's I've "boughten"

Stew
Old 02-28-05, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hehe, boughten.

Anyhow, the used DVDs that I BOUGHT off ebay presented no problems, except a few aesthetic ones. However, I always ask the seller beforehand about inserts, etc.
Old 02-28-05, 04:10 PM
Banned

sorry, will change that
Old 02-28-05, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

so far no problem here but I only buy new and I always pay VERY close attention to the seller and his/her feedback. I am not brave enough to try a used dvd.
Old 02-28-05, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVDs I've bought used from EBay: Star Wars Orig Trilogy, XMEN Collection, Arlington Road. All great.
Old 02-28-05, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I only sell my used DVDs on eBay, never buy. Naturally, I only sell the good stuff and describe their condition in as much detail as possible. Any seller that does the same is usually a safe bet
Old 02-28-05, 05:26 PM

The few times I bought used off ebay have been ok. I bought a Halloween 2 disc set for $20 once and had trouble with the second disc. They guy was very nice but I sold it to a buddy of mine for what I paid for it. I told him it what was wrong so it's all good. I bought another Halloween 2 disc set with no problems. As a matter of fact, the guy threw in a Danish copy of Dead & Buried to boot. I think I paid $13 for that.
Old 02-28-05, 05:30 PM

Well I've been ripped off for $75 once.

All the used discs I bought have been in good shape and I've gotten them at good prices. All you have to do is be selective and make sure you buy from sellers with good feedback.

When I was ripped off the seller had 4 postives and no negatives. Plus the price was too good to be true. I didn't listen to my instincts and payed for it, literally.
Old 02-28-05, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm only on eBay if I'm looking for something OOP or rare... and in those cases, I've had mixed results... some OK, some were bootlegs. Buyer beware in that type of case... checking seller's details and feedback are ok, but won't save you every time.
Old 02-28-05, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
was sent a bootleg once, but overall I haven't had a problem buying used DVDs on ebay. haven't bought a used DVD on Ebay for some time now. I think the last thing I bought off there was a used 2 disc Dutch version of Ichi The Killer, and it was in great condition.

Last edited by asianxcore; 02-28-05 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-28-05, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've purchased a few DVDs off both Ebay and Half.com with mixed results. Here is a brief rundown of my worst experiences. One disc that I purchased arrived loose in the case and scratched, but the seller sent me a free replacement and let me keep the first disc. Even though it was scratched it still played fine. Ended up selling the replacement later for more then I paid because it was OOP DVD title. Another seller advertised a DVD "like new" but it was covered with small scratches. The disc played fine and didn't feel like going through the hassle of sending it back. Another seller at Half.com confirmed an order for a DVD they didn't have. This was for the first release of Duel that was recalled. I ended up getting a refund later.
Old 02-28-05, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally Posted by asianxcore
was sent a bootleg once, but overall I haven't had a problem buying used DVDs on ebay. haven't bought a used DVD on Ebay for some time now.
Pretty much my story too.
Old 02-28-05, 07:40 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
I just recently bought about 15 expensive dvd collector items on half.com. I usually have received everything on half.com. But 2 of the 15 never show up. I only buy there if it is out of print.
Old 02-28-05, 08:05 PM

Yeah sellers on half.com are pretty bad when it comes to recalled product. I ordered the History of Beavis and Butthead right after it was announced it was recalled. Seller confirmed it, but never shipped it, It took about a month to get it canceled
Old 02-28-05, 08:23 PM

Buying used DVD's on ebay has been a problem as they all seem to be "over rated". The last one I bought was a "mint" Ultimate Toy Box. Disc one was unplayable and there were two disc two's and no disc three. I notified the seller, who had over 50 positives and he told me "no refund". Never again.
Old 02-28-05, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Er...bad deal on Ultimate Toy Box above. I've only purchased OOP titles, with the sealed Criterion versions of Hard Boiled and The Killer being the most expensive. As far as used titles go, I've only picked up Tin Drum (before the Criterion announcement and eventual release).

All good experiences, but as it has been said before, rewards go to the researcher....
Old 02-28-05, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I only buy used DVD's from ebay, never new. I've only received one Chinese bootleg, which was my fault, considering I didn't take the time to properly read the page. The seller noted it was a Region 0 release from China, so I couldn't fault him.

Every used DVD I've received arrived in mint condition and played perfectly. I've recently bought used DVD's from amazon.com marketplace sellers since they're typically cheaper than the average ebay seller, even after you factor in the $2.49 per item shipping fee.
Old 03-01-05, 12:47 AM

I;d say in the past 2-3 years, I've bought somewhere between maybe 25 and 30 dvds on ebay, some used some new. knock on wood, I have not had 1 problem, I always ask about condition if not stated explicitly, I only buy from a seller with a good rating, and thats that. I've had some amazing deals over the years (like the 9-disc billy wilder dvd set for $16 new, the 2-disc oop rocky horror picture show for $8 new, etc), just make sure youre buying the correct region, that its in good shape, and you shouldnt ever have a problem.
Old 03-01-05, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
I bought a couple copies of what I thought was the last good version of Scarface before the recent SE came out, but it turned out to be a bootleg. My brother was fine with the copy I gave him (he's not nearly as picky as me), but I returned mine to the seller, and she happily refunded the money for the one copy.

Other than that, I've purchased the original Fight Club: SE, Unbearable Lightness of Being: CC, and Dragonheart: DTS...and they were all just fine.
Old 03-01-05, 01:17 AM

I bought 2 DVDs on 2 seperate transaction and that is it for me. NO MORE! Both DVD I bought claimed to be "BRAND NEW/SEALED", but...

DVD #1: Got a copied/bootleg version, the seller promoptly gave me a refund.
DVD #2: Got a bad copy, had to go to Universal for a disc replacement.

That was enough to stop me from ever getting any DVD from ebay. Maybe it's just my luck, but I'm not trying it again. Third is NO CHARM for me.
Old 03-01-05, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All the dvd purchases from ebay have been excellent. Even the region 0 NTSC copies I bought have been great for me.

I haven't used ebay for a while though.

Last edited by starving dvder; 03-01-05 at 03:15 AM.
Old 03-01-05, 03:42 AM

I bought Mystery Train some time ago, advertised sealed brand new, turned out it was quite used and had a large crack in its center ring, luckily still played but realistically I will need to buy a new one. Now it is on Columbia House and cheap so I will replace eventually.
Old 03-01-05, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Had mostly good luck...one thing I learned is to stay away from those with the insanely high feedback ratings. These power sellers get probably 50+ feedback comments a day, so your one negative doesnt mean anything to them, so they will not go out of their way to please you like an average seller with great feedback will. I bought The X-Files Season 4 from one of these Ebay companies and it arrived with a huge knife cut down the side of the case. The seller swore that this was not possible and said I could send it back for a refund minus shipping and a restocking fee. I ended up reselling it on Ebay with a full description of the condition and actually got more than I paid for it .
Old 03-01-05, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Had mostly good luck...one thing I learned is to stay away from those with the insanely high feedback ratings. These power sellers get probably 50+ feedback comments a day, so your one negative doesnt mean anything to them, so they will not go out of their way to please you like an average seller with great feedback will.
This is a good point I've never heard put quite like that before.

I buy used discs off of E-bay quite regularly. The reason is simple; there are a lot of movies I'm not interested in at full price, but for five bucks or so on E-bay, I'll pick it up. Only if the feedback is great (but, as you say, not numerically extensive). The only problem I can think of off-hand was the time I took a shot and bought 'The Devil's Advocate', thinking it might be the oop version because of an oddly worded summary. It wasn't, and it was in bad shape (more the box than the disc), but I knew that when I bought it. Since I care more about the movie than the case, I will sometimes deliberately buy a disc with a scuffed case because it is cheaper.

In other words, it's something to be careful with, but not scared of.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.