DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Get Smart DVD Rumor (merged) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/411884-get-smart-dvd-rumor-merged.html)

SeattleSteve 08-18-04 06:19 PM

Get Smart on DVD

I see that "Get Smart Again" is coming out on DVD this year.

I don't care about that movie, but I would LOVE to have the original TV show on DVD.

With all the old TV shows that are showing up on DVD these days, what are the odds that Get Smart will join the list?

I know it has a fairly small following because every time it shows up in syndication on TV it disappears pretty fast. I was able to record a bunch of episodes on VHS when TVLand ran the series a couple of years ago, but all of those episodes were edited to allow more time for commercials.

Any other Get Smart fans out there? Let's get some support for a DVD release of this classic Mel Brooks TV series.

The Cow 08-18-04 06:24 PM

I'd love to see it come to DVD also. I've got all the eps on VCDs but would really like a DVD set, and I wouldn't think they would have much trouble getting Don Adams to do some commentary.

Get Smart Again has been out on DVD for awhile (it might be OOP, not sure, but it's not hard to find, and it usually goes for about 5 bucks).

Wouldn't mind seeing the The Nude Bomb also make an appearance on DVD (I have the LD version). Very cheesy, but I love the Maxwell Smart stuff.

db27 08-18-04 09:02 PM

I'm with you, this is the tv show that I'd most like to own. I grew up watching it on Nick at Nite with my dad (who of course had seen it during it's original airings).

Love this show, I've got the cheapo "evergreen" dvd, it's nice but not nearly as good as the show was.

Masamune 08-18-04 09:53 PM

Loved the movie. Can't wait.

"Rasberry..?"

DonnachaOne 08-18-04 10:11 PM

It'll probably come out when the new movie is about to debut in theaters.

(Yes, they're going to make a new film. With Steve Carell as Maxwell Smart.)

DrOBoogie1 08-19-04 07:13 AM

2005 will be the show's 40th anniversary, so hopefully Paramount will plan to have the show on DVD then. There is a lot of interest in this show on disc, judging from the fact that this topic comes up in several DVD forums every few months (and gets an enthusiastic response) and the listing of the show on TVShowsonDVD.com.

It can't come out fast enough. Hopefully with commentary from Don Adams, Barbara Feldon, Mel Brooks, Buck Henry and others.

Masamune 08-19-04 09:14 AM

I love Steve Carell, but unless he imitates the voice (which I hope he doesn't), it won't work.

This shouldn't be made.

Damfino 08-19-04 12:51 PM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
This is just wrong.

But, I'm there when the original series is released!

The Cow 08-19-04 12:59 PM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
It'll probably come out when the new movie is about to debut in theaters.

They are trying to make a new film. I don't see it happening as they are now on their fourth writing/star/directing team, and non of them have been able to come up with a decent script.

This would be horrible.

SeattleSteve 08-19-04 01:03 PM

I agree that a new movie would suck.

There is no way to recapture that '60's feel of the show and NOBODY can replace Don Adams as Maxwell Smart.

It's a terrible idea.

BUT ... if it renews interest in the TV show so they finally release it on DVD, I'm all for it! :)

JOE29 08-19-04 03:43 PM

I also love Get Smart and would buy the series the same day it would come out it's classic t.v.

chente 08-19-04 09:03 PM

[99]Max! What did he say?[/99]

"Get off my chest"

k_lodge 08-19-04 09:09 PM

...would you believe that I just read they are going to release all 5 seasons in deluxe box sets just like Dick Van Dyke Show throughout 2005 ????

.... Would you believe a two disc set of "best of" episodes ???

.... Would you believe a 10 minute retrospective starring Hymie the robot ???

chente 08-19-04 11:18 PM

Originally posted by k_lodge
...would you believe that I just read they are going to release all 5 seasons in deluxe box sets just like Dick Van Dyke Show throughout 2005 ????

.... Would you believe a two disc best of set of episodes ???

.... Would you believe a 10 minute retrospective starring Hymie the robot ???

Oh God, that's funny. rotfl

John-In-VA 08-20-04 06:41 AM

Max: There's just one part I didn't get.
Chief: What's that Max?
Max: The part after "now here's the plan".

DrOBoogie1 08-20-04 07:46 AM

I'm keeping my fingers crossed we will see at least the first season in 2005.

Brain Stew 08-20-04 07:57 AM

Carrell certainly has the looks and the comedic chops to do this movie, but I fear that their styles are too different. Carrell is more of a sarcastic comedian, while Don Adams was a bumbling doofus.

Get Smart is still the bomb, yo!

jpw908 02-28-05 10:51 AM

Get Smart DVD Rumor

From tvshowsondvd :

Get Smart - RUMOR! Would you believe...
Posted by David Lambert
2/28/2005

We'll dispense with the Cone of Silence for this one! Industry sources have passed along whispers that Get Smart is finally being looked at for DVD. Yes, they are said to be moving on this at last, trying to time a release between the months of Sept. 2005 and May 2006. That timeframe marks the 40th anniversary of the airing of the first season of the show, and - though the actual studio has not been named - we hear that the powers-that-be are anxious to make that deadline.

We'll see if they can pull it off! If they can't make that ("missed it by THAT much!"), they are said to want to try to tie in a release to the new Get Smart film that's in the works.

This show is one of my personal favorites, and I'm very happy to be posting this gossip this morning. How accurate will it turn out to be? Would you believe that you should stay tuned?

Groucho 02-28-05 10:54 AM

Is it to much to ask for Mel Brooks and Buck Henry to do commentary on every episode?

Damfino 02-28-05 10:57 AM

This is my most wanted TV show, I hope it's true!

dvd-4-life 02-28-05 11:05 AM

Does Paramount own the rights?This would be a good time to release Mission Impossible from the 60's also.

ShagMan 02-28-05 11:46 AM

I loved this show, and although I probably won't get it on DVD, I love the wording on the OP's post :)

pilot 02-28-05 12:06 PM

I do hope this comes out..this is one of my all time favorite shows and grew up watching the reruns..

David Lambert 02-28-05 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by ShagMan
I loved this show, and although I probably won't get it on DVD, I love the wording on the OP's post :)

Thanks! :)

jarofclay73 02-28-05 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Is it to much to ask for Mel Brooks and Buck Henry to do commentary on every episode?

Actually, I don't like Mel Brooks' commentary skills. The one on "Spaceballs" wasn't that good. Well, if Buck Henry is up for it, I'd say go for it.

Hey, Don Adams is still alive. He's 82. Maybe he could do a commentary. Barbara Feldon is 3 days older than my dad. So, she's 72-years-old (73 on March 12th). She would be cool in a commentary. Bernie Kopell is a year younger. He would be nice on the commentary too. Could this be the OLDEST group commentary ever? -ptth-