Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Saved by the Bell Season 5 ---->July 19th!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-25-05, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This was posted over at TVShowsonDVD.com

Saved by the Bell - Final Bell Season w/Original Cast Rings in Late July
Posted by David Lambert
2/25/2005

When I wake up in the morning, my alarm gives off a warning,
I don't think I'll ever make it on time!
By the time I get my books, and give myself a look,
I'm at the corner just in time to see the bus fly by!
It's all right, cause I'm saved by the bell!

If the teacher pops a test, I know I'm in a mess,
and the dog ate all my homework last night!
Riding low in my chair, she won't know if I'm there.
If I can hand it in tomorrow, it'll be all right!
It's all right, cause I"m saved by the bell!

The unforgettable theme song plays for the last season of the original series this Summer, as Zack, Slater, Screech, Kelly, Jessie, Lisa, and Mr. Belding ring what should be the final Bell together on DVD. Previous news had said that Saved By The Bell - Season 5 was going to hit on the day after Independence Day, but earlier this week TVShowsOnDVD talked to Lions Gate, who told us that the street date is now set to July 19th (two weeks later than the previous report).

We don't know yet whether or not you can expect the Hawaiian Style special on this release, but according to information from about a year ago, the episodes on this 5th Season release are:

Student Teacher Week
The Fight
Screech's Spaghetti Sauce
The New Girl
The Bayside Triangle
Teen Line
Day of Detention
Masquerade Ball
Wrestling With the Future
Drinking and Driving
Class Ring
Love Machine
Isn't It Romantic
The Will
The Teacher's Strike
Slater's Sister
The Video Yearbook
The Senior Prom
Snow White and the Dorks
The Best Summer of My Life
Earthquake
School Song
Graduation
Time Capsule

One of those episodes, "Screech's Spaghetti Sauce", guest starred a Soleil Moon Frye, who's best known from younger days as Punky Brewster.

This will be a fun release, that fans have been waiting excitedly for! Official details and cover art for this release are still to come, so stay tuned and we'll bring that to you just as soon as we can.
GREAT NEWS!!! I CAN'T WAIT!! Just need Hawaiian Style & Wedding in Vegas and I'll be happy!
Old 02-25-05, 01:07 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i didnt even know there was a 5th season, i thought there was only 4 seasons

(freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior years of high school)
Old 02-25-05, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odd how long the wait between the last set and this is, but I'll be glad to pick this up and nearly complete the collection.

Originally Posted by kornboy

(freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior years of high school)
You really think a cool cat like Zack Morris is only going to have ONE senior year? The dude had two, with rather different casts!
Old 02-25-05, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You mean they already released Seasons 1-4....whoa
Old 02-25-05, 01:38 PM

What!!?

How evil.

So I guess I wont bother with those 1-2 seasons.

I'll wait for a big final boxset one day. I know they will do it.
Old 02-25-05, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great news!
Old 02-25-05, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kornboy
It's the "fifth season" if you count 'Good Morning, Miss Bliss'.

Or if, like Lion's Gate appears to have done, you decide arbitrarily that the 3rd season is actually the "third and fourth season".

Some really big fan on Amazon tried to explain it away and, honestly, it might even make sense if you know the show well enough, but it sure didn't make sense to me.
Old 02-25-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Next person to say that Lions Gate is falesly advertising the seasons by seperating them apart, I will smack them right up side the head.

Yes, if you go by production order, the show only had four seasons. However, Lions Gate are releasing them in the order of how NBC ordered the show. While some might say that the DVD's "third" and "fourth" season are technically one season (especially due to the amount of episodes in the set), they are mistaken. NBC ordered the first half of the episodes (consisting of the DVD's third season) before they ordered additional episodes (such as the episodes TNBC aired over the summer before the fall season, which most would consist of what the DVD calls the fourth season).

If you have bought the previous sets, you know that Lions Gate is going by air date, not production date. If that was the case, episodes like "Snow White and the Dorks" would've been in the first set, not the last set.
Old 02-25-05, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
The 'seasons' of SBTB are all screwed up. Are the half-dozen Tori episodes considered a season?

The Soleil Moon Frye episode is a great one - doesn't she play Slater's hot sister that Zach 'bangs' before wanting to take her to the Sock Hop?

Speaking of which, if Gossellar gets anywhere near the quality of chicks he nailed in SBTB and Blue in real life, I must bow before him.
Old 02-25-05, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
The 'seasons' of SBTB are all screwed up. Are the half-dozen Tori episodes considered a season?
No, they're half of Season 5.

The Soleil Moon Frye episode is a great one - doesn't she play Slater's hot sister that Zach 'bangs' before wanting to take her to the Sock Hop?
No, she plays a spoiled rich girl who tries to take advantage of Screech by pretending to like him as long as he buys her things.
Old 02-25-05, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by LBPound

No, she plays a spoiled rich girl who tries to take advantage of Screech by pretending to like him as long as he buys her things.

Okay. I remember that one. He invents something in that one where they make a lot of money. My memory is fuzzy - I haven't seen the show in several years.
Old 02-25-05, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Matthew Chmiel

Next person to say that Lions Gate is falesly advertising the seasons by seperating them apart, I will smack them right up side the head.

Yes, if you go by production order, the show only had four seasons. However, Lions Gate are releasing them in the order of how NBC ordered the show. While some might say that the DVD's "third" and "fourth" season are technically one season (especially due to the amount of episodes in the set), they are mistaken. NBC ordered the first half of the episodes (consisting of the DVD's third season) before they ordered additional episodes (such as the episodes TNBC aired over the summer before the fall season, which most would consist of what the DVD calls the fourth season).
That's all semanitcs, an unfortunate set of circumstances that allows this type of action to even be discussed. Series are ordered and extended and reduced and reorganized all the time, and you could make such an argument with many different shows, but other than those few of us obsessed with this show, no one considers these episodes to be two separate seasons. It's bad enough that they release the episodes in an order that has no value other than on a piece of paper and serves only to confuse and annoy viewers, but to then trick them into buying something 99% of them are going to think is something it isn't is just too far.

While we can argue all day about the different ways this show could be released and the semantics of the original ordering, IMO it's most certainly false advertising (morally, not legally). I'm just surprised they're not using similar logic to call this set Seasons 5 & 6, something for which one could also form an argument if so inclined.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 02-25-05 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-26-05, 11:06 PM

Well it's funny because there are episodes (on seasons 3 & 4 set) when the group is working during the summer at a beach resort. But they're out of order as well. A summer job episode will air then back to school then another summer job episode and so on. I was very confused.

I just want the rest of the original series & the two TV movies, and then I'm done.

Forget the "NEW CLASS"!
Old 02-27-05, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 180 Posts
They better include the two movies. It will be a very sparse set otherwise and when else will we get them.
Old 02-28-05, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I didn't say falsely, I said arbitrarily.

If you have bought the previous sets, you know that Lions Gate is going by air date, not production date.
All I know is, the air dates are 9/14/91 - 12/21/91 ... to me, that's one season. But it's a silly argument; it is what it is, they'll all be out soon, and nobody who likes 'Saved by the Bell' enough to buy the discs should feel ripped off by the season sets.

But if MGM can be sued over their letterboxing diagrams ...
Old 02-28-05, 09:38 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
The completist in me will drive me to pick this up.
Old 02-28-05, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

TVShowsonDVD repported yesterday that "Hawaiian Style" will be included with this release. No word yet on "Wedding in Vegas."
Old 02-28-05, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's awesome. I just finished watching "The College Years," which was a shame to watch before the actual graduation but it was a trip down memory lane nonetheless. The College Years really should have had the "Wedding in Vegas" movie since it was in the College Years when Zack proposed to Kelly.
Old 02-28-05, 08:14 PM

I just got that word from TVShowsonDVD as well!

GREAT NEWS!!!
Old 02-28-05, 09:05 PM

Okay. I remember that one. He invents something in that one where they make a lot of money. My memory is fuzzy - I haven't seen the show in several years.
Here's a hint for you, plainly stated in the first post...
One of those episodes, "Screech's Spaghetti Sauce", guest starred a Soleil Moon Frye, who's best known from younger days as Punky Brewster.
Old 02-28-05, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It is so sad that two seasons of the New Class will be out and still no Wedding in Las Vegas