Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What DVDs are found in most of your collections?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

What DVDs are found in most of your collections?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-05, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I seem to notice Se7en quite a bit...
Old 02-23-05, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
High Plains Drifter
Old 02-23-05, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ernestrp
High Plains Drifter
I'd venture a guess that it's not being anamorphic would exclude that title from some collections... That's certainly the case where I'm concerned. I'd love to have High Plains Drifter, but not in it's current non-enhanced LBX state. Ditto Fistful, For a Few and The Wild Bunch (which, thankfully, has a proper release planned by WB at some point in the future). Those 4 titles are my most wanted with new transfers.
Old 02-23-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 503 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by taa455
I find that opinion interesting. I'm not saying that everyone should own LotR and I can certainly understand seeing it and not liking it. But these are some of the most loved and respected films in recent history. Aren't you even a little curious?
I saw about fifteen minutes of the first one and have no desire to see any more. Also I own and enjoy the Matrix, but the second one was so bad that I never saw the third. I buy films for my own enjoyment, not based on what others like. You won't find any Tarantino, Deniro or Pacino films in my collection.
Old 02-23-05, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago
Why? Explain to me the logic in owning something that you don't particularly care for... Afraid I'm lost here, is it because Star Wars and Indy are "cool" or something? Or is it too impress someone else? Fill me in please.

Call me an asshole, YES they are cool and they are amazing films, don't care how over done or played they are....some of the best writing and directing you will find.
Old 02-23-05, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
I agree with DVDsAreMyLIFE.
Old 02-23-05, 07:21 PM

i dont know about indiana jones. youd be surprised how many people dont have those movies...

"I buy films for my own enjoyment, not based on what others like. You won't find any Tarantino, Deniro or Pacino films in my collection." - max bottomtime

Yes, while you may not have tarntino, pacino, deniro or any of the LotR movies, lots of people do, so saying that 'i only buy what i like' in a thread like this isnt necessary.
Old 02-23-05, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree to an extent, except on the matrix. God, I hate that first film and will NEVER see the sequels.
Old 02-23-05, 07:24 PM

eh. matrix was good but it wasnt the film most people make it out to be. 4/5
Old 02-23-05, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVDsAreMyLIFE
Call me an asshole, YES they are cool and they are amazing films, don't care how over done or played they are....some of the best writing and directing you will find.
Wouldn't want to call you an asshole, just wondered why you feel that they are "must own DVDs"... But I will disagree with ya though, on the writing and directing, and leave it at that.
Old 02-23-05, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime
I saw about fifteen minutes of the first one and have no desire to see any more. Also I own and enjoy the Matrix, but the second one was so bad that I never saw the third. I buy films for my own enjoyment, not based on what others like. You won't find any Tarantino, Deniro or Pacino films in my collection.
Fair enough.
Old 02-24-05, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Regarding the LOTR comments from earlier....I was never big on fantasy before seeing LOTR. Now, these movies are among my very favorites.
Old 02-24-05, 02:09 AM

I don't know if its "must own"

But looking at my collection I'd say the 1st Spiderman movie and maybe one of the various copies of Terminator 2.
Old 02-24-05, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Avia or Video Essentials are the only dvds I can think of that everyone should own.
Old 02-24-05, 05:14 AM

No Matrix, no LOTR. Just not a fan of either.
Old 02-24-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have no Tarentino films in my collection. I've seen all of them (except Kill Bill where I just watched the first 10 minutes), and they just don't do it for me.
Old 02-24-05, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The ONE disc that SHOULD be in everyone's collection regardless of taste is Avia. Or at least one of the 4 similar discs of this type. I have S&V (by Avia) and VE, myself. The best $20 you can spend in DVDs.
Old 02-24-05, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
I have no Tarentino films in my collection. I've seen all of them (except Kill Bill Vol 2where I just watched the first 10 minutes), and they just don't do it for me.
same here.
Old 02-24-05, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I don't understand why people ring in with 'nope I don't like that, never did, never will' kinda posts. Obviously, no DVD is in every collection and no film appeals to everyone.

The thread is about what is in most collections. Unfortunately we don't have sales numbers because the studios don't want to release them. However, it is no secret that DVD purchases skew towards young males and what DVDs young men like to own.

After that, it is what mothers will purchase. So films that work as instant babysitters [b]and]/b] also are admired films (thus hitting a cross-section of purchases) will sell big.

Last edited by ctyankee; 02-24-05 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-24-05, 12:26 PM

I find that opinion interesting. I'm not saying that everyone should own LotR and I can certainly understand seeing it and not liking it. But these are some of the most loved and respected films in recent history. Aren't you even a little curious?
No, I'm not curious about the LOTR movies. Not one bit.

I remember seeing a commercial for what was probably the first flick, took one look at it and saw a character - Frodo, maybe? - and dubbed it "Lord of the Perms."

Old 02-24-05, 12:30 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Originally Posted by Altimus Prime

I remember seeing a commercial for what was probably the first flick, took one look at it and saw a character - Frodo, maybe? - and dubbed it "Lord of the Perms."

i can see how someone can get a quick impression from the commercials, trailers, and the hordes of articles around to know this isn't a movie for them. some people just don't like that type of Sci-Fi fantasy...i would hazard a guess and say something like "Star Wars" would be more universally accepted and appreciated than LOTR.

anyone else agree?
Old 02-24-05, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
i can see how someone can get a quick impression from the commercials, trailers, and the hordes of articles around to know this isn't a movie for them. some people just don't like that type of Sci-Fi fantasy...i would hazard a guess and say something like "Star Wars" would be more universally accepted and appreciated than LOTR.

anyone else agree?
Yes I would agree and also I am one of the few people who really don't care for the LOTR Films, but I can watch a Star Wars film any day of the year
Old 02-24-05, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Altimus Prime

Mod. Could we change the title of the thread to 'DVDs that are in a heck of a lot of collections that I want to gripe about.'
Old 02-24-05, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think that the dozen or so titles that were given away with early DVD players are/were in most people's collections.
Old 02-24-05, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Didn't care for the books - read the Hobbit and the first LOTR book. Watched about an hour of one of the movies at a friends house - the DVD looked amazing, but I didn't care for the plot. I just don't like the fantasy genre - in literature or film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.