Why haven't they released Cruising yet?

Old 06-24-07, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Up for pre-order on Amazon for $13.99.
Old 06-25-07, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 06-25-07, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not that I firmly thought Warner would fuck up a cover for a catalog title like Cruising (an area where other studios seem to know nothing about...*cough* Revenge of the Nerds SE *cough*), but as always, I'm digging the art here. The newer font is not a problem at all (it retains the film's grit), but damn, this is one awesome cover. Can't wait to show my friends this movie (my music-appreciation nerds will probably go crazy over the punk music here).

Also, didn't "It's So Easy" by Willy DeVille (my favorite song in the movie) appear in Death Proof? I couldn't tell which scene it was in.
Old 06-25-07, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As of now for the USA/R1, It's So Easy is on the Death Proof sountrack.

I'm willing to bet it and the other missing track - Down in Mexico by The Coasters (the lap dance song) - will both be on the Cannes cut that's gonna be on the DVD. My theory is that it's supposed to be the song
Spoiler:
Stuntman Mike masturbates to after killing the first set of girls
or when Stuntman Mike speeds through Lebanon, TN after acquiring the Charger.
Old 06-26-07, 05:16 AM
Banned

The original movie poster had a blue tint and looked better.
Also the soundtrack is excellent punk rock!
Also in this movie is where Al Pacino's looks seem very different than in the 70's.
He must have had major plastic face work done because he looks more like Frankie Vallie in this movie. His eyes are more wide open.
Old 07-15-07, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Does the HD-DVD version have a release date yet?
Old 07-15-07, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by wm lopez
The original movie poster had a blue tint and looked better.
Also the soundtrack is excellent punk rock!
Also in this movie is where Al Pacino's looks seem very different than in the 70's.
He must have had major plastic face work done because he looks more like Frankie Vallie in this movie. His eyes are more wide open.
And also he's not over-emoting like he's been doing in his recent movies. I just can't stand that. I like him more quiet and calm.
Old 07-16-07, 11:21 AM
Banned

It seems that started with SCARFACE.
Old 07-16-07, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by wm lopez
It seems that started with SCARFACE.
I disagree-- ...And Justice for All.

Tony really lingered, though-- Revolution is like Scarface outtakes with a terrible Scottish "accent". Anyway.
Old 08-08-07, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

$11.99 for pre-order on Ch.com, would be $10.79 during the next DDD 20% sale.
Old 09-20-07, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone else grab this on Tues? I watched it last night for the first time and I liked it. My friend told me it was a very gay movie, and boy he wasn't kidding. I wasn't fully prepared for some of what I saw, but I thought Friedkin did a great job with the look and feel of that time period in NYC. I don't feel that the film is as convoluted as many people seem to say it is. Sure, some things aren't fully explained, but that's reality. The ending did throw me off a bit, but I think I know what he was trying to convey with those final scenes. I haven't watched the extras, but the picture looked good and the audio, while not exactly booming, sounded good in 5.1. I'd rate it 8/10.
Old 09-20-07, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am eagerly waiting to watch this film tomorrow night. I got it Tuesday, but work and other issues have prevented a viewing before this weekend.
Old 09-22-07, 02:54 AM

Pacino's been cleaning out the vaults.. this one got the gay rights people upset when it was in the theaters.. now, what other Pacino movies are left to be released on DVD?
Old 09-22-07, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes I picked this up first thing Tuesday. Friedkin is one of my favorites and Cruising is near the top of the list. I saw this on the big screen in 1980 and was completely blown away, it was just a visceral punch in the gut. So unlike any major studio release, before or since. It still stands the test of time. Far from perfect, but full of incredible imagery and sound and brimming with Friedkins 70's style.
I'm also a fan of the more subtle Pacino and he provides a perfectly measured performance in this film. Compare his work here to a lot of his latter day over the top histrionics and its seems like a completely different actor.

Last edited by JumpCutz; 09-22-07 at 04:10 PM.
Old 09-23-07, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bling bought Cruising on Friday night while aimlessly wandering through Best Buy (and also to get off watching Death Proof, which I had forgotten used a song in this film).

The movie itself is... interesting. Pacino is great, as always, but there's something about him that seems off for the film and the soundtrack is phenomenal.
Old 09-24-07, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ReduxGuy
the soundtrack is phenomenal.
Yes it is. I have it on vinyl and wished that it would have been available on CD as a bonus with the dvd. I also wish it would have included the last 3 instrumental songs on this list which are not on the soundtrack album

"Heat Of The Moment" - Willy De Ville

"Loneliness" - The Cripples

"Spy Boy" - John Hiatt

"When I Close My Eyes I See Blood" - Madelynn von Ritz

"Lump" - Mutiny

"Shakedown" - Rough Trade

"Pullin' My String" - Willy De Ville

"Lions Share" - The Germs

"Hypnotize" - The Cripples

"It's So Easy" - Willy De Ville

"Three Day Moon" - Barre Phillips

"Herbal Scent" - Tom Browne

"Quintettino in do maggiore: La musica notturna delle strade di Madrid, Op. 30, No.6 (3rd. mvt)" - Luigi Boccherini
Old 09-24-07, 11:10 AM

I'm a bit curious - how are you straight boys handling watching this movie with the gay sex and bar scenes?
Old 09-24-07, 04:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mickey65
I'm a bit curious - how are you straight boys handling watching this movie with the gay sex and bar scenes?
Beer & weed!
And strip club afterwards.
Old 09-24-07, 07:42 PM

God bless 'em, It should be that easy for us.
Old 09-24-07, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Saw it when it first came out in 1980.
Does not bother me one bit.
And yes I am heterosexual.
Old 09-24-07, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by inri222
Yes it is. I have it on vinyl and wished that it would have been available on CD as a bonus with the dvd. I also wish it would have included the last 3 instrumental songs on this list which are not on the soundtrack album

"Heat Of The Moment" - Asia

"Loneliness" - The Cripples

"Spy Boy" - John Hiatt

"When I Close My Eyes I See Blood" - Madelynn von Ritz

"Lump" - Mutiny

"Shakedown" - Rough Trade

"Pullin' My String" - Willy De Ville

"Lions Share" - The Germs

"Hypnotize" - The Cripples

"It's So Easy" - Willy De Ville

"Three Day Moon" - Barre Phillips

"Herbal Scent" - Tom Browne

"Quintettino in do maggiore: La musica notturna delle strade di Madrid, Op. 30, No.6 (3rd. mvt)" - Luigi Boccherini
Fixed (subtly) to accomodate a lame excuse to evoke the "You know how I know you're gay?" scene in The 40 Year Old Virgin.
Old 09-25-07, 11:36 AM
Suspended

From the IMDb Trivia page:

The plot of the film, about murders in gay nightclubs, caused many to protest the release of the film. In fact, organized protests by gay groups were planned for the date of the release of the film. The public largely ignored the protests.
Ah... Memories! As I remember the kerfuffle, the protest was organized by the same gay journalist who had high hopes of being chosen to write the screenplay for Dog Day Afternoon but was passed over, which led to his personal vendetta against other Pacino projects such as Cruising. The gay bars depicted in the film had no ethical problem about being included in a film that might possibly depict homosexuals as criminals or lowlifes as they were owned by the Mafia anyway.

Last edited by baracine; 09-25-07 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-25-07, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by baracine
From the IMDb Trivia page:

Ah... Memories! As I remember the kerfuffle, the protest was organized by the same gay journalist who had high hopes of being chosen to write the screenplay for Dog Day Afternoon but was passed over, which led to his personal vendetta against other Pacino projects such as Cruising. The gay bars depicted in the film had no ethical problem about being included in a film that might possibly depict homosexuals as criminals or lowlifes as they were owned by the Mafia anyway.
I remember when the Gays protested during the filming of Basic Instinct - since they didn't like the fact that lesbians were being portrayed as "serial killers" - puhleeze!

I guess lesbian serial killer of Florida Aileen Wuornos didn't count then?

Apparently their way of "protesting" BI was by making all sorts of noise on the streets while they were filming the movie - which was easily edited out.

I went and saw the movie when it was released and enjoyed it - and I'm a lesbian.

I don't remember the brouhaha over Cruising, but sometimes the Gays really need to get over themselves at times...sigh.
Old 09-25-07, 12:28 PM
Suspended

I remember when the Gays protested during the filming of Basic Instinct - since they didn't like the fact that lesbians were being portrayed as "serial killers" - puhleeze!

I guess lesbian serial killer of Florida Aileen Wuornos didn't count then?

Apparently their way of "protesting" BI was by making all sorts of noise on the streets while they were filming the movie - which was easily edited out.

I went and saw the movie when it was released and enjoyed it - and I'm a lesbian.

I don't remember the brouhaha over Cruising, but sometimes the Gays really need to get over themselves at times...sigh.
Well, in this case, it was not so much "the gays" as one guy with a personal vendetta against Pacino. And this happened at a time when more useful action than stupid quarrels about "image" should have been happening in the streets of New York, like funding the free clinics and free education on AIDS and such.
Old 09-25-07, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I didn't care. I go to an art school, so I see (some of) the stuff that went on in the bars (aside from actually having sex, blowing, and fisting) on a near daily basis.

That's another thing about the USA that bothers me. We get all hung up on sex in movies, but violence is really what's fucking stuff up (sorry 'bout the course language).

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.