Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Double Life of Veronique

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-06, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am so all over that R2. I am so happy to hear this news. It's been way too long in coming.
Old 02-10-06, 03:00 PM

Note that the R2 releases are being discussed in more detail in the International DVD Talk forum.
Old 02-10-06, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't have a region free player.

I'll hold out for an R1 release for now.
Old 02-10-06, 07:39 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
I don't have a region free player.

I'll hold out for an R1 release for now.
They're cheap and easy to come by, and they pay for themselves within a year anyway, given the greater variety of deals you can take advantage of.
Old 02-13-06, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wendersfan
They're cheap and easy to come by, and they pay for themselves within a year anyway, given the greater variety of deals you can take advantage of.
I know. I should get one. But I have plenty of R1 releases to keep me occupied at this time. I don't need to start collecting from around the world.
Old 02-14-06, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know I'm about a year late and the question is less pressing now that mk2 and Artificial Eye have stepped up to the plate, but regarding the question of home video rights: the issue is complicated by the fact that Miramax didn't actually have a home video division at the time and the company used multiple video distributors before the Disney/Miramax deal in 1993. Miramax released the film theatrically -- hence the presence of the Miramax logo before U.S. prints of the film -- but Paramount handled the video releases. A number of the films Miramax released theatrically before the Disney deal are available on DVD from other companies (Twist and Shout, Pelle the Conqueror, The Thin Blue Line, sex, lies and videotape, Ju Dou, Reservoir Dogs, The Crying Game, and The Tall Guy, among others), so just because Miramax distributed it theatrically doesn't mean they held onto the video rights. It doesn't necessarily mean that they didn't, either -- they still have the video rights to The Grifters and My Left Foot, even though they were both pre-1993 titles -- but while the question of current rights ownership is still unresolved, this explains why Paramount was handling the video releases in the first place.
Old 03-26-06, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Okay, what's up with the Amazon listing of a Region 1 release of April 4, 2006? No studio listed and no one else out there seems to have a hint of a Region 1 release....
Old 03-26-06, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Amazon's been putting up some other weird nonexistent releases lately -- for example, a re-release of Pierrot le fou that was supposedly due out on February 28th. It may be somehow related to Amazon Marketplace, since Amazon has plenty of entries for titles not actually out in R1 but available via Marketplace in either bootleg or non-R1 editions. But it's pretty safe to say there is no R1 release coming on April 4.
Old 03-26-06, 08:47 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would think this would have been publicized before this, were it really coming out in a little over a week. The fact that there are zero details in the Amazon listing makes me extremely dubious.
Old 03-26-06, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Regardless of what Amazon has listed and what DVDBeaver has put on their site as of last week there were no plans for Veronique to appear in R1 land.

Pro-B
Old 05-10-06, 12:07 AM

Kino assured me they won't be putting it out. I had hopes that since they put out Kieslowski's other stuff, they would put this one out. I'll end up ordering from amazon uk, but i wanted a US release because there is a different ending. The european ending makes sense to europeans because of some kind of understanding of the family home. It had to be pointed out to us more specifically, or so Kieslowski said.
Old 05-10-06, 12:58 AM

Well, I watched the UK DVD last night and the film is as beautiful as ever. Maybe I read too much into the film, but it seems to say so much about life.

Very nice DVD set too.
Old 05-10-06, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by compulsive dvd
Kino assured me they won't be putting it out. I had hopes that since they put out Kieslowski's other stuff, they would put this one out. I'll end up ordering from amazon uk, but i wanted a US release because there is a different ending. The european ending makes sense to europeans because of some kind of understanding of the family home. It had to be pointed out to us more specifically, or so Kieslowski said.
Do yourself a favor and don't buy a Kino disc EVER!
Old 05-10-06, 03:22 PM

I hadn't seen this in so long I was almost afraid to watch it - fearing that I overhyped it in my mind. My fears were in vain though as it was even better than I remembered. Maybe I am just older and get more than I did the first go around, but I really loved it. Great DVD set too. I am so happy they put this out in R2.
Old 05-10-06, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was holding out for a region 1 release of this film, but from reading this thread it seems that it will not happen anytime soon. I guess region 2 is the only way to go.
Old 05-10-06, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Who has the best online price for this set? I'm going into this one blind, but Kieslowski hasn't let me down yet.
Old 05-10-06, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
Who has the best online price for this set? I'm going into this one blind, but Kieslowski hasn't let me down yet.
Search it in http://www.find-dvd.co.uk/search.asp
Old 05-11-06, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
Who has the best online price for this set?
Xploited CDWow, Amazon UK or Bensons

CDWow is the best deal if you can find a coupon over in the DVD Talk International forum -assuming you can get permission to leave the USA
Old 06-24-06, 01:40 AM
g

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
Someone at the criterion forum posted that they received an email from Criterion that they will be releasing this in the future. ( People there aren't completely convinced however)

Last edited by g; 06-24-06 at 01:43 AM.
Old 06-24-06, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I am 100% satisfied with the MK2 set, THANK YOU very much!

What else can a Criterion release add up? If anything I would think that they are likely to miss on some of the extras in the set. I'd rather finally see a Criterion La Notte release....

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 06-24-06, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
I am 100% satisfied with the MK2 set, THANK YOU very much!
Ditto.

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
What else can a Criterion release add up? If anything I would think that they are likely to miss on some of the extras in the set.
Well, there's always the spine number...
Old 06-25-06, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I went ahead and ordered it from Bensons tonight. Why deny myself of a great film on the hopes of Criterion producing a R1 version when I can just get the R2 version.
Old 06-25-06, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by slop101
Well, there's always the spine number...
You said it

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 07-10-06, 12:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From the Criterion Newsletter:

Kieslowsky coming this fall.
This makes The Double Life of Veronique an almost certainty, although any other Kieslowsky titles, like the Decalogue, are surely welcome.
Old 07-10-06, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dx23
From the Criterion Newsletter:

This makes The Double Life of Veronique an almost certainty, although any other Kieslowsky titles, like the Decalogue, are surely welcome.

I hope it is Double Life of Veronique. No need for a Decalogue triple dip now, much less another Three Colors. Give us a nice R1 of Double Life of Veronique, already! It's been years since I have seen it, ang it blew me away then. What a masterstroke of the cinematic language it is!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.