Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: DVDs, Materialism, & the Concept of Ownership

Get out of my brain Bob!
Old 12-07-13, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

As a collector of the physical media and wanting to stay that way, I'm just worried that one day a really good movie that comes out I want to add to my heap won't be available on DVD anymore - just as a stream, and forcing me to watch it that way and somehow save it on my computer for any future rewatching.

I'd rather just keep things the way they are with me, and hope that never happens!
Old 12-15-13, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've collected physical media ever since I was a kid, starting with comic books...then LPs...then Betas...then CDs...then VHSs...then DVDs...then Blu Rays. I like having them physically. But I understand that simply grabbing up the things and hoarding them is not reasonable. I've cut way back on my buys this year and last, and have sold many DVDs off. I apply a few criteria for future buys. Is it a TV show or movie I really enjoy and am likely to watch again? Is the price low enough? If yes to both questions, I will buy. Is it a blind buy of something I would Netflix? Is the cost within a dollar or two of Netflix DVDs? If yes to both questions, I will buy. These criteria have helped me save a lot of money (and shelf space). I guess if DVDs and Blu Rays went away, I would just get on with it and stream. As it is, I have years of content on DVD and Blu Ray.
Old 06-29-15, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't believe this thread is 10 years old. It's fun to bump it every once in a while.

It's funny how streaming wasn't really a thing back then.
Old 06-29-15, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

And seeing how Netflix now intrudes on the end credits on the newer Rokus, I'm just about done with them. Amazon is also doing this, even on movies you've PURCHASED from them. That's like having your disc player's user interface change overnight.
Old 11-01-17, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What happens if UltraViolet goes out of business?
Old 11-01-17, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Wannabe
What happens if UltraViolet goes out of business?
It's not really a business though, right?
Old 11-01-17, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
It's not really a business though, right?
It is a business entity. I just did some quick research:

Digital Entertainment Content Ecosystem (DECE) is the international cross-industry group that runs UltraViolet.

If DECE goes out of business you will still be able to play UltraViolet movies that you have downloaded. Your movie rights will still be available from the retailer who sold you the movies, and may be copied to other UltraViolet retailers.

http://uvdemystified.com/uvfaq.html#toc1.6.1.1
This means you MAY be able to continue viewing on a platform like VUDU if UV goes out of business. If VUDU goes out of business, you might be outta luck.
Old 11-01-17, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

I lost one non-UV movie I got from Target Ticket (since CinemaNow has also gone under) [SARCASM]but of course that's nothing to worry about, it's not like it was an IMPORTANT movie- digital is still the future.[/SARCASM]
Old 11-02-17, 09:17 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Wow, here it is 7 years after my first comments in this thread, my collection has just exceeded 1100, I keep running into movies and TV shows I'd seen long ago for cheap and adding them to my collection, in addition to some new releases I usually pick up for less because I'm a miserly bastard, although I have splurged on a couple lately (Doctor Strange, for one). I still don't stream because I'm simply not interested, but I do have 1100 movies and TV shows I can watch any time I want to, as many times as I want to, for as long as the discs don't rot. I thoroughly enjoy having the physical videos/cases here where I can pick them out of my collection on a whim, look at the cases and all their content, and obsess over cataloging. Working on filling my 4th book case...
Old 11-04-17, 07:44 AM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Just want to chime in with "If you can't loan it, you don't own it".
Old 11-04-17, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by slybone
Just want to chime in with "If you can't loan it, you don't own it".
I've loaned a lot more digital titles than physical.
Old 11-05-17, 07:26 AM

Ok, that's a new one on me. How does one do that? For example, a movie purchased on Amazon Digital?
Old 11-05-17, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by slybone
Ok, that's a new one on me. How does one do that? For example, a movie purchased on Amazon Digital?
Family subaccounts, shared UV group, logging into their TV app, etc.
Old 11-05-17, 08:19 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

+1

My brother's family is connected to my UV account. They have my entire collection available whenever they want to watch something. We can even watch the same movie at the same time.

I also don't have to worry about them losing or damaging the discs, which happened a lot in the past. I was very reluctant to loan them anything rare or expensive.
Old 11-06-17, 05:35 AM

Family subaccounts, shared UV group, logging into their TV app, etc.
Ahh, I thought that might be what you were talking about. Glad that works out OK in some situations, although we have given out our Netflix login info to my wife's brother with the thinking that since we can watch on 2 devices at a time, no problem, then the next thing we know we can't watch ourselves because his family are watching on 2 devices. I'm guessing not all platforms have such restrictions.

Anyway, thanks for clarifying.
Old 07-30-18, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I first started this thread, I had hundreds of DVD and no children. Now that I have kids, my collector's mentality has evaporated. Shelves full of DVDs seem like a pain in the ass to me now. I've sold off most of my DVDs and the ones I kept were transferred to slim cases, and are in a plastic bin in the garage. If I cared enough, I'd transfer them to a hard drive, but it's not really worth the effort.

I just bought a Blu-Ray player that plays 3D content, but even with recent price drops for BD discs, for me, there's little need to own. I'll probably buy a few discs that the kids like and some concert BDs to show off my system, but I will not be collecting to collect. (Yes, I'm talking to you, Criterion Spine collectors.)

Once you become a collector, it feels like your stuff begins to own you. I don't want to go there again.
It's funny to look back on this thread. I did end up collecting a sizable collection of BDs... before I ended up selling most of them. Most of what I own on BD is nostalgia stuff. Star Trek: The Original Series, Batman 66, Speed Racer, Universal Monster films, Twilight Zone, etc. Mostly stuff I watched as a kid.

I would have to say that my original suspicion was correct: the general public seems to have lost its appetite for owning physical media. It's much more evident with CDs, but it's happening with DVDs and BDs. And I suspect 4k discs will never really take off... people would prefer to stream 4k content.
Old 08-03-18, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Really? I have always thought one of the best thing about collecting is watching something and thinking to myself I am going to have/force my kids to watch this at some point. I think of our teachers having us watch Dr. Stranglove, My Life As A Dog or Cinema Paradiso and it just makes me feel good inside to know I can have that same kind of effect on someone I, hopefully, care about someday.

I am having kids in 2ish years so if I remember I will check back in here later to tell you all what ADD monsters they are and how ridiculous it is my 2 year old can sit through Schindler's List.
Wow 7 year call back. So have a kid and I do really enjoy watching movies with her. She can't handle slow burn or drama yet but does really enjoy 80's creature features like Critters and Labyrinth. I am thinking about buying a big stack of 3x5 index cards and writing notes to her about each movie as I watch them. Something fun for her to look at when I am gone.
The following users liked this post:
Nesbit (03-16-23)
Old 08-04-18, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It's funny to look back on this thread. I did end up collecting a sizable collection of BDs... before I ended up selling most of them. Most of what I own on BD is nostalgia stuff. Star Trek: The Original Series, Batman 66, Speed Racer, Universal Monster films, Twilight Zone, etc. Mostly stuff I watched as a kid.

I would have to say that my original suspicion was correct: the general public seems to have lost its appetite for owning physical media. It's much more evident with CDs, but it's happening with DVDs and BDs. And I suspect 4k discs will never really take off... people would prefer to stream 4k content.
That’s kind of what I’ve been saying for a couple years, but I don’t think the “appetite” so speak, was ever really there with the general public. DVD, in the late 90s, was the new tech kid on the block, so everyone wanted to get in on the new trend. It lasted for a couple years, but like with all fads, the public eventually lost interest and moved onto something else. Based on what I’ve seen, sales seemed to peak around 2005 and began going down in 06/07. This was way before streaming became popular and before the recession really began hitting people, so I don’t think we can place as much blame on these two as people would like. The recession likely hastened the decline, but at that point, I think the interest was already waning. The fact that sales never really picked back up even after the economy recovered, tells me the general public never had a genuine interest in owning movies to begin with. They bought them because it was a trendy thing to do at that time.
Old 08-06-18, 07:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I still like the control that comes with ownership of media. I can watch what I want, when I want, as many times as I want. Right now, that control is sorely lacking in streaming systems, unless you have the money to subscribe to every service.

If I could be assured that everything I wanted to watch was available via streaming and it only required two or three reasonable subscriptions, I would feel comfortable ceasing my buying. My hand might be forced in the not-distant future as DVD availability dwindles, but until then I will buy titles that I think I'll watch more than once, DVD Netflix the ones I think I'll only watch once but are still worthwhile checking out (because of the superior catalog versus Netflix streaming), and use limited streaming to try out some exclusive titles.
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (03-08-23)
Old 08-06-18, 12:50 PM

I don’t see the limitations on streaming as being any worse than the limitations on physical media. In fact, my ability to watch a physical disc is actually more narrow than my ability to watch it streaming. I’m blessed with WiFi everywhere I go, and unlimited data on my phone if for some reason WiFi isn’t available; but someday that will likely be the norm, and physical media players will be rare.
Old 08-06-18, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Wow 7 year call back. So have a kid and I do really enjoy watching movies with her. She can't handle slow burn or drama yet but does really enjoy 80's creature features like Critters and Labyrinth. I am thinking about buying a big stack of 3x5 index cards and writing notes to her about each movie as I watch them. Something fun for her to look at when I am gone.
Awesome.
Old 09-01-18, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

At some point in the future, the films you watch will no longer have a physical form. You'll either order them as "Video on Demand" or you'll download them to your computer/entertaiment system's hard drive.

Once any film is available to watch at any time, will people still cherish their DVD collections? Or will they view DVDs as "old space wasting technology"?

And if the film just resides on your hard drive, do you still feel like you own it?
That’s the biggest reason why I buy all of these DVD, Blu-ray in the first place. To have them later on in life to use.
Especially during retirement, when i’ll be on a fixed income. I’m hoping that I won’t have to even worry about getting movies because i’ll Already have them available to use.
Old 09-03-18, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

One of my last posts in this thread was that I probably wasn't going to upgrade to Blu-ray. Fast-forward to today and I have about 500 Blu-rays and still have 300 HD-DVDs and about 1,500 DVDs.

I've never bothered streaming or downloading other that redeeming about 20 or so UV codes with Flixster. That is until Flixster became no longer available in Canada and thus making my "permanent" collection disappear for good.

After recently buying an $99 RCA projector, I've found myself watching more DVDs as the projector does an excellent job of delivering a really nice film-like image. Not razor-sharp Hi-Def but just a solid clean pleasing-looking image.
Old 09-03-18, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Oh as a side note, thinking about my massive library was a good little push to finally get me to cut the cord and cancel cable. Between what I own and some moderate streaming I wasn't even watching but 3 hours or so of cable a week, and really only as background noise.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.