Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVDs, Materialism, & the Concept of Ownership

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-13, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: DVDs, Materialism, & the Concept of Ownership

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
When cable movie channels started out, a lot of them showed the same movies... ...I barely have time to watch what's on Netflix though so I'd probably just stick with that- nothing I have supports Amazon VOD anyways.
Cable TV programing is the perfect example or analogy. ..I remember paying $25/mo to $30/mo for the complete package with multiple movie channels (HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc.) ..It was up to $100+/mo when I finally canceled it.

I just bought 144 DVDs for $80. ..I don't believe the DVD give away "party" will last. ..Probably as long as the $7.95/mo Netflix party last. (5 years?) ..Up until consumers are paying $50/mo to $100/mo to stream with multiple services.
Old 10-23-13, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
I predict producers realizing they'll lose money because consumers aren't going to pay $8 a month for multiple subscriptions and it'll slowly work it's way back to being centralized, such as with Netflix for movies and Hulu for TV.
If your prediction is correct, I would count on Discs being around for a long time.

When they talk about streaming over taking discs, the numbers are refering to movies viewed (not revenue). .. Online viewing is projected to generate $1.7 billion this year while physical media will surpass the $11 billion mark (2012).

Centralized or not, that's $11 billion the studios would be looking to make up in lost disc sales. Six times the revenue they are currently making from online viewing.
Old 10-23-13, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler

6. I really don't like owning shit. It's just my style. A big DVD collection isn't for me. But a big streaming Amazon collection would be cool - as it's portable.
Have gotten to that point myself for the most part. I'm okay with having a bit more in a digital format as it doesn't take up real space. If shows and movies come and go from Netflix etc.. oh well. They will either be back or a new service will come along. There is even the library. It's just not that important to have everything at arms reach.

Just too much new content to have a wall full of media that will hardly be used.
Old 10-23-13, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdshonna
Netflix Dropped Your Favorite Movie? Get Used to It
The goal is to become HBO faster than HBO can become us," chief content officer Ted Sarandos told GQ in February.

Over the past year or so, Netflix has been shaking up its catalog of movies and television shows and even dropping classics like Goldfinger, Scarface and SpongeBob SquarePants. And the cuts will keep coming,

Just in the last year or so, it shed thousands of old movies -- from those named above to classic comedies Big and Young Frankenstein to dramas like Elizabeth
But streaming customers don’t watch that many movies -- 80% of the time they opt for TV shows
Exactly why I always seek out physical media. The company / studio can't take away something I have in my possession, like they are doing, in spades, with streaming product. It will just get worst in time, as studios become ever more greedy and charge the companies who offer streaming services (Netflix, et al) more and more for less product.

Shedding thousands of old movies?! Ay, caramba! The death knoll is here more quickly than even I had thought possible...

One could argue that the same thing happens with OOP titles. But, if I actually *own* an OOP title (which is on physical media), I lose nothing by that title going OOP. If I don't have it already, and want it badly enough, I can always find someone selling it, albeit at an insane price. With streaming, and the studios in complete control, to watch that title, will be taken forever away from me.

I don't want them bones... I'll resort to piracy before supporting THAT model, every time.
Old 10-24-13, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Plus I'm not willing to pay the same money to 'own' a streaming copy than I am for a disc- I 'bought' the movie "Ginger and Rosa" for 99 cents on Vudu a couple weeks ago when it was mispriced, which was a decent deal, but I'd never pay $20 or even $10 for a movie I can't keep on my shelf and that can be taken off-line at any time. In fact, if I decide I really like "Ginger and Rosa" I'll buy the Blu-Ray.

And yes, I'm one of those weird people who looks at their shelves of media. Clicking through "My Movies" on Vudu just isn't the same.
Old 10-24-13, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
Exactly why I always seek out physical media. The company / studio can't take away something I have in my possession, like they are doing, in spades, with streaming product. It will just get worst in time, as studios become ever more greedy and charge the companies who offer streaming services (Netflix, et al) more and more for less product.
This is why I made my previous point of the difference between rental streaming (Netflix) and ownership streaming (UltraViolet). There are still vulnerabilities to ownership streaming, of course, that are not present in physical disc ownership, but it's still more stable than rental streaming.

I'm reminded of one of Steven Wright's quips:

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?"
Old 10-24-13, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdshonna
I predict consumers will be subscribing to multiple services and paying more for less content as streaming services evolve. ..I'm holding on to my favorite DVD titles (always have).
Or the people could do what I do and stick with the disc-based rental system. I pay for Netflix’s streaming service, but I’ve been thinking about dropping it because I think the selection sucks. I’ve never used Amazon’s streaming service, but it looks like it may be more movie-oriented than Netflix’s, which appears to be more television-oriented (I’ve seen it advertised as being more of a alternative to TV).

Originally Posted by orangerunner
Nowadays, the ready access to anything you want at the press of a button just makes movies rather disposable and devalued.
I would argue the general public has always viewed movies as disposable. As other posters have said, DVD was surrounded by a perfect storm of elements that made it successful, which is not replicating itself with Blu-ray. But even DVD’s success lasted only a couple years, tapering off around ’06 or ’07. The general public doesn’t seem that enthusiastic toward Blu-ray at all (hell, most of the studios don’t seem that enthusiastic either) except for blockbuster titles and new releases.

One thing you need to remember is alot of these streaming services just popped up in the last couple years so yeah, they're not perfect and some kinks still need to be worked out.

An attitude I've noticed that seems to creep up in threads like this is an assumption that everyone who owns movies is going to rewatch their movies multiple times. I’m sure that’s not the case with a majority of the general public. A large portion of the general public who have bought a lot of movies probably watched those movies once, if that, and never look at them again. I’m a movie buff and there’s stuff in my collection I haven’t watched in 5 or 10 years. I’ll use Cast Away as an example. I bought Cast Away when it was released on DVD in 2001 (I think) and watched the film shortly after. I liked it, but I didn’t feel a need to ever watch it again and it’s sat in my collection for the past 10+ years collecting dust. I think you can be a movie buff or a movie enthusiast and not have to own a bunch of movies. There have been classics I’ve seen that I liked, but never felt a need to rewatch or own. Lawrence of Arabia for example. I liked that movie, I thought it was very well made, but I just never felt a need to rewatch it. As I said in the “DVD sales are down 50%” thread, I just don’t rewatch movies that often. Even movies I consider favorites, I’ve only watched maybe three or four times and that’s it. Evil Dead is one of my favorite horror movies, but I watched it so many times when I was a teenager that I really don’t feel I need to rewatch it anytime soon. The last time I watched it was in 2010 when I bought the new Blu-ray and listened to the commentary track (which I was kind of disappointed with).

I don't think anyone here is saying that streaming, or the rental services in general, are flat-out replacing their collections. What I’m hearing more of is that these services are allowing people to not have to blind buy titles and not buy, as another poster said in a different thread, fringe titles, which are titles that you want to check out but don’t necessarily want to own. I owned my fair share of fringe titles because at the time I wanted to see those movies, purchasing them was the only way I could see them. I only had two or three local video stores in my area and the nearest Blockbuster was 30 miles away, so if I wanted to see something that was obscure or old, I had to purchase it. Unfortunately, that resulted in me amassing a large amount of movies that I had no real intention of watching again.

Ultimately, my philosophy on this subject is this: if you like a movie enough that you want to watch it multiple times, then buy a physical copy of it. If you just want to check out a movie or if you're not sure whether you want to own a movie or not, then use Redbox, or Netflix, or Amazon's VOD system. I don't think there's ever going to be a be-all end-all system for viewing every single movie ever made. Fifteen or twenty years ago, if you wanted to see a movie, you were bound by what the video stores in your area had available. Today, you’re bound by what Redbox or Netflix or one of the other online rental services has. There’s always going to be one movie you want to see that’s not available. There's always going be that Maltese Falcon of a movie that you just can't get your hands on.
Old 10-24-13, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by big e
Or the people could do what I do and stick with the disc-based rental system.
Not for long, it seems:

An article by GigaOM’s Janko Roettgers looks into how the company is handling the DVD-rental-by-mail part of its business, pointing out that the company now has 39 distribution centers, down from an all-time high of 58. In 2011’s third quarter, Netflix had close to 14 million subscribers for DVD rentals; now, that number’s been halved to around 7 million. Roettgers also points out that until recently, the physical rental business was more profitable than streaming, with 47 cents of pure profit on every dollar spent by subscribers on DVD rentals. That stopped being true in the first quarter of this year, when for the first time, domestic streaming revenue ($151 million) trumped the DVD rental returns ($109 million).

All this means the end of Netflix’s DVD rental business is only a matter of time, possibly accelerated by a January increase in postal rates, among other factors.
Old 10-24-13, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
Not for long, it seems:
Ah crap. Well, they better ramp up what they offer on streaming. I have slightly over 90 movies in my DVD queue and only 7 of them are available for streaming.
Old 10-24-13, 08:32 PM

I can't see their disc rentals going away completely, as the only alternative to that in most areas is Redbox which only has the latest stuff. My parents always rent older movies through Netflix as well as new ones.
Old 10-24-13, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't see their disc rentals going away completely, as the only alternative to that in most areas is Redbox which only has the latest stuff. My parents always rent older movies through Netflix as well as new ones.
Unfortunately, Netflix's shareholders don't likely care what alternatives may exist in a community. For right now, though, they do care about the $109 million they made off DVDs this year and that will keep it alive for awhile, but they're very aware that the $151 million they made from streaming is more money.

But, hey, the good news is that maybe in the future we could organize a consortium to operate some brick and mortar rental stores!
Old 10-24-13, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,887 Posts

Some Disney/Pixar films have been pulled from iTunes:

It appears some Disney and Pixar titles like The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, and Cars series Mater's Tall Tales have been pulled from both the iTunes Store and the "Purchased Content" libraries of customers who paid for the content.

While the removal, originally noticed by a 9to5Mac reader, first appeared to be a glitch, AppAdvice has pointed out that the titles are also unavailable via the Amazon Instant Video service, suggesting the disappearance of the content may be intentional, potentially due to a licensing issue.

According to the customer who noticed the missing titles, Disney elected to remove the content from the iTunes Store, preventing customers who have purchased the movies/TV shows from re-downloading the content via iTunes in the Cloud, which allows users access to previously purchased content.
Old 10-24-13, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

UGH. Unlike the Netflix situation, this really is troubling for digital owners. No one expects every title to remain "in print" for rental, but revoking download rights for a purchased title is precisely the kind of move that will only undermine consumer confidence.

When Disney announced last year they were closing their own digital streaming service, the hope was that they were going to commit to UltraViolet. That hasn't happened yet. This news is not encouraging at all, since there's no reason for Disney to sever ties with iTunes in case they are going to join UV; every other studio sells both, so there's no reason for Disney to burn bridges with iTunes customers.
Old 10-24-13, 10:51 PM

I've always wondered what would happen to purchased titles that are in limbo as one company loses the rights to them and haven't yet been picked up by another? Case in point many United Artists movies bounced between CBS/FOX Video and MGM/UA in the 1980s, and since DVD came out many older movies have also gone from one label to another. If I bought one of those movies on Vudu, would I even be able to access it in between ownership changes? I know Star Wars isn't on Vudu now, but what if I bought it while it was still under Fox and later Disney got the rights to it and made some more changes to it? And what about Disney's world-famous moratoriums? Would they keep stuff like Snow White still online right now for people who had bought it earlier, and what if they use a different master next time it's reissued? (And if the new version is better, usually Disney hopes people will buy the new disc, but will Vudu customers get access to the new master right away, or be stuck with the old one and be expected to re-buy the new one, or will they take the old master off-line and not grant people who bought that access to the new one?) Just MORE reasons why I can't switch to buying movies that way.
Old 10-25-13, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I think you can be a movie buff or a movie enthusiast and not have to own a bunch of movies.
That's what I have moved to be. I love watching new content yet hardly rewatch anything over the last couple years. There are just too many movies and shows I have never seen to spend a couple hours watching films I have seen. I'll see my favorites again I just need to give it more time.

This is the main reason owning them is just not that important to me anymore. Now when I find two dollar blu-rays I will think about it yet I still doubt I want to go down that path again. It becomes about why own this and not that so I rather avoid it all together.
Old 10-28-13, 03:24 PM

More hype than reality. ..Digital sales has been an abject failure. ..The only digital "success" has been subscription based services of older content and TV shows. ..94% of legal streaming is with monthly subscription services

..And for every $1.00 the studios make on these subscription services, they lose $1.50 on disc sales and rentals (conservative estimate). ..The studios should include all new releases in the subscription packages and declare total "success" while they file for bankruptcy.

Last edited by dvdshonna; 10-31-13 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-05-13, 02:09 PM

"Weeds" Complete Collection 8 Seasons (Bluray + Digital Copy) $69.99 ...All 8 seasons are also available on Netflix. ...This is why I no longer buy TV seasons at any price (new or used).
Old 11-05-13, 03:43 PM

Personally, no, but this may simply be because of how I've been wired. A download doesn't feel tangible enough to me, which is an
For myself it's more about "pricing" than feeling "tangible".
8 Seasons of "Weeds" for $69.00 compared with 8 seasons of "Weeds", along with 1700+ TV seasons, and thousands of movies on Netflix for $7.99/mo, is like the studios saying we can make a profit at $7.99/mo per household, but if you're stupid enough to pay $69.00 for just "Weeds" on disc, we'll be happy to RIP YOU 0FF with overpriced DVDs and Blurays.
Old 11-05-13, 06:07 PM

That's actually a good price for 8 seasons- it might be fine on Netflix if you just want to watch it once, but they could take it offline before you've seen every episode, and even then you'll want to buy the discs if you want to watch it repeatedly. I STILL don't see how they make much money licensing stuff to Netflix.
Old 11-06-13, 06:04 AM

.... I STILL don't see how they make much money licensing stuff to Netflix.
Relatively speaking ....they're not. These Hollywood CEOs have to be the biggest buffoons in U.S. history.

For the year 2012:
Kiosk Rentals: Up 31% - Brick & Mortar Rentals: Down 29%
Bluray Sales: Up 19% - DVD Sales: Down 20%
Subscription Services: Up 94% - Digital Sales: Down 1.3%

The biggest "success" is the subscription services, where the average consumer pays about 25 cents per title viewed. ..Nothing like digging your own grave.

Last edited by dvdshonna; 11-06-13 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-06-13, 03:20 PM

Yes, some titles are pulled after months/years ...And replaced with different titles, so the average household is accustomed to paying $7.99/mo for thousands of movie titles and TV seasons that are updated with new content.

Ask these consumers if they would prefer watching "Weeds" 5x to 20x or if they would rather have different content to watch. ..How many of these consumers are going to pay $69.00 for "Weeds" on disc when they have an endless selection of movies and TV seasons, and barely have time to watch everything at $7.99/mo ???

Boo Hoo ...our DVD sales have been declining for 5 straight years and our digital sales isn't working. ...Try removing your heads from your ass.
Old 11-25-13, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Like most of you, I've been checking out the Black Friday ads the last week or so. I find myself entirely uninterested in just about everything I've seen. I've decided this year, instead of gifts, I'm going to take my cousin and my niece to a University of Louisville women's basketball game (so long as my health permits, anyway!), and I've already bought the tickets for that. My shopping list is down to just two other people now, and I may find something for them, but as for myself? I don't see any blind buys that tempt me, and no upgrades that feel exciting.

If Amazon price-matches everyone, I might use my credit to get The Boondocks: The Complete Third Season ($9.99 at some regional place we don't have here). Maybe The Dark Knight Rises at $3.96 (Walmart's ad). Even Star Trek Into Darkness - which I enjoyed - doesn't really tempt me even in the $8 range.

This year of auditing my library has disillusioned me with disc ownership more than I realized.
Old 11-26-13, 01:43 AM

I've got stuff from 10 Black Fridays ago that I still haven't watched ("fear dot com", anyone?) but I'm still up for more. I'll keep collecting discs til I drown in them!
Old 11-26-13, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
This year of auditing my library has disillusioned me with disc ownership more than I realized.
I've been doing the same since the summer. I've finally focused on watching the thousands of unwatched stuff I have and trimming things down. Going along with this, I've been cutting back on buying too.

Still, I never going to invest money in digital copies/itunes/amazon/etc. If I want to do something like that, I'll just download it off a torrent site and then throw some money in the garbage. At least with a torrented version, I can get things like subs, bonus features, multiple language tracks, and commentaries that I'll never listen to.
Old 11-26-13, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I've been doing the same since the summer. I've finally focused on watching the thousands of unwatched stuff I have and trimming things down. Going along with this, I've been cutting back on buying too.
A coworker and I were talking about this very thing yesterday. When I told him I had enough *unopened* product (movies and TV seasons) to last 3 or more years at "standard" viewing levels (2-3 hours per day) I stopped in my tracks. I'd never really given it much thought until then. I'm pretty sure I could go 10 years or more with *no* repeats on a 3 hour per day schedule if everything was taken into account. It really makes me wonder *why* I continue to add to the stacks when the current possibility of repeat watching is fairly slim and likely to be restricted to absolute favorites. Still... I have several items planned for purchase over the next couple of weeks and will likely go through with those purchases.
Still, I never going to invest money in digital copies/itunes/amazon/etc. If I want to do something like that, I'll just download it off a torrent site and then throw some money in the garbage. At least with a torrented version, I can get things like subs, bonus features, multiple language tracks, and commentaries that I'll never listen to.
This exactly. At least with physical copies I can hand it down when I'm gone (not that any of the kids/grandkids will want them but it'll then be *their* problem).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.