Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Songs Replaced On Greatest American Hero DVD!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-05, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Well, even though they were just "covers" by Joey Scarbury, both "Rocket Man" and "Space Oddity" have been replaced in the pilot episode on the DVD...which leads me to believe that ALL the major songs in this series (which played a huge part) have been replaced (I haven't watched the other episodes yet).

"Space Oddity" has been replaced with some jibberish that I think was called "It's Not Your Town Anymore" (have no idea who sings it or who thought it would be a good replacement); while "Rocket Man" has been replaced with "Believe It Or Not" (the theme song for the show - so at least that SEEMS to fit in!)

Buyers will also want to check their package...I got TWO of Disc 1 and NO Disc 2...so I'll be making a return come Monday morning.

The good news is that the episodes - while a little grainy, look fairly decent - with few hints of dirt and/or defects; and the third disc contains a full 75-minutes worth of new interview material. There's also a nice color booklet that comes with the set (two thin-type DVD holders within a slip case) that someone was smart enough to label "Instructions" with the suit logo.

I'm upset we lost the original music (how many more series is this going to happen with?!), but am pretty happy with the rest of the package (other than my missing disc!).

Though you'd guys would appriciate the info!
Old 02-04-05, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This apparently will happen with the Wonder Years as well.
Old 02-04-05, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It happened with Quantum Leap Season 2....
Old 02-04-05, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by emhello
This apparently will happen with the Wonder Years as well.
NOOOOOOOOOOO

This show especially would be worth paying the extra money for the music....made the series.....
Old 02-04-05, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
how many more series is this going to happen with?!
A LOT. Especially in the case of series that have smaller audiences. Sometimes the costs to license the songs vs the expectant sales for the set just don't work out in the studio's favor. So, the only alternative is to get new (and cheaper) music.
Old 02-04-05, 10:56 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Yeah, I knew it right away when the opening credits started:

Believe it or not, George isn't at home...
Old 02-04-05, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by joshualane
A LOT. Especially in the case of series that have smaller audiences. Sometimes the costs to license the songs vs the expectant sales for the set just don't work out in the studio's favor. So, the only alternative is to get new (and cheaper) music.
Or in the case of Universal, replace the music and still charge absurd prices.
Old 02-05-05, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is what took Freaks & Geeks so long to get to DVD. Apatow wanted to clear all of the original tracks, and they took a fortune (over $1 million from what I read), and a lot of time.
Old 02-06-05, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Addition to my initial post: other than the pilot, the rest of the episodes seem to retain their original music...including the use of "Greatest Love Of All" in the "Greatest American Heroine" pilot. As I also noted, I'm currently sans disc 2 of the set (thanks to a packing mistake by Anchor Bay), so I have yet to check out "My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys" to see if the song made the cut in that episode. I'm also hoping that the first episode in Season Two (due out in April) will retain "Eve Of Destruction," since that song was pivitol to the plot of that show.

I should ALSO add that while the pilot did indeed look a bit grainy, the OTHER episodes look remarkably good, considering their age and the fact that all the shows were shot on film, not video. The 75-mintutes worth of new interview material is FANTASTIC - espeically the segments with Robert Culp and Michael Pare. Those alone are worth picking up the set for!

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 02-06-05 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-06-05, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt

I should ALSO add that while the pilot did indeed look a bit grainy, the OTHER episodes look remarkably good, considering their age and the fact that all the shows were shot on film, not video.
I would expect a show shot on film to look much better than one shot on video. Once video starts to degrade there's not a whole lot that can be done (which is why a lot of videotaped '70s shows look so bad now; think "All in the Family"). However filmed shows can look spectacular if the elements were well preserved (a good example is the half century old "Honeymooners" series).

Hope you get your correct disc 2 situation worked out; what a pain!
Old 02-06-05, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I'm still getting it even if they did replace the music. I want this show so I won't deny myself the enjoyment of the series just because some music is different. I'm sure there are people that think buying the series will send a message to the studio that this practice is OK. Well, guess I get to tell the studio they did good in replacing it so I can enjoy Ralph Hinkly on my home setup since they will be getting my $$$. Honestly, I haven't seen the show in so long that I don't remember any of the music anyways (besides the opening theme).
Old 02-06-05, 11:49 PM
Suspended

Me too, I've got my order in .... but thanks for the heads up !!
Old 02-07-05, 01:41 AM

OH man news like this really sucks. I haven't gotten my second season of Quantum Leap Yet, or Greatest American Hero. Man this makes me not want to rush out and get them any sooner.
Old 02-07-05, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Yeah, I knew it right away when the opening credits started:

Believe it or not, George isn't at home...
LoL - Constanza!
Old 02-07-05, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Grrrrr... Now, what to do. Cancel the preorder? I'm really leaning in that direction, but I'm torn. Damn.

I understand the realities of these situations, but I really find that music replacement is unacceptable. Cough up for the actual songs, or don't release the show.
Old 02-07-05, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by bboisvert
Grrrrr... Now, what to do. Cancel the preorder? I'm really leaning in that direction, but I'm torn. Damn.

I understand the realities of these situations, but I really find that music replacement is unacceptable. Cough up for the actual songs, or don't release the show.
You've got the wrong dichotomy. The proper question is will you (i.e., the consumer) PAY THE DIFFERENCE for releasing the actual songs instead of generic music? I've read countless articles that suggest outside of us nuts in here, probably not.

Look it's one thing to talk about the Wonder Years like this, but GAH? Please. The music did nothing for my enjoyment when I watched this show and still won't now.
Old 02-07-05, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
You've got the wrong dichotomy. The proper question is will you (i.e., the consumer) PAY THE DIFFERENCE for releasing the actual songs instead of generic music? I've read countless articles that suggest outside of us nuts in here, probably not.
Would *I* pay extra for the original songs? Absolutely.

Would others? Well, that's a good question. But I have to wonder how a minor, cult show like Freaks & Geeks manages to both secure all of the dozens of well-known songs, put together a great DVD set, release it at a reasonable price, and have solid sales... yet other shows GAH, Quantum Season 2, etc. don't.

They'll say it's economics, but I suspect it is simply easier to change the songs and ignore the few "nuts" who complain. But Freaks & Geeks and other programs have shown us that if someone in charge actually cares, we can get the original music.

I've been looking forward to the GAH release, but I have an issue with buying this set... there's an implication there that I'm OK with the changes, or that I passively accept them.
Old 02-07-05, 11:11 AM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
If they would place a note on the packaging stating that music may be different from the original airing that would be nice. After watching my second season of Northern exposure I felt something was wrong but couldn't place it. They replaced the music and that seems to have hurt it. Imagine if they did this with Miami Vice!! At least give a warning about it.

Anyone looking for NX seasons 1 & 2?
Old 02-07-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Cheap. Asses.

Next, we'll have Chinese characters playing the roles of major stars in television series.
Old 02-07-05, 01:24 PM

and this is why the music industry sux!
Old 02-08-05, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received my copy today (thanks goes to Amazon for that one, a week early).

First thing I did was make sure all three discs are included, which they are, so we're off to a good start.

I would personally pay more for original music, but less dollars to the music industry is always a good thing as far as I'm concerned, and after watching the first disc, I really couldn't care less. Great show, and if I hadn't read this thread, I never would have even known.
Old 02-09-05, 02:57 AM

I think all Cannell releases have replacement music. Wiseguy, Hunter, GAH, etc. I think it's just their policy to cut it in order to lower production costs. I think that's a shame and that's why I tend to skip any of his releases.
Old 02-09-05, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by bboisvert
Would *I* pay extra for the original songs? Absolutely.

Would others? Well, that's a good question. But I have to wonder how a minor, cult show like Freaks & Geeks manages to both secure all of the dozens of well-known songs, put together a great DVD set, release it at a reasonable price, and have solid sales... yet other shows GAH, Quantum Season 2, etc. don't.

They'll say it's economics, but I suspect it is simply easier to change the songs and ignore the few "nuts" who complain. But Freaks & Geeks and other programs have shown us that if someone in charge actually cares, we can get the original music.

I've been looking forward to the GAH release, but I have an issue with buying this set... there's an implication there that I'm OK with the changes, or that I passively accept them.
I'm with you my friend - original music all the way. But there's just some stuff that I can deal with, GAH being one of them (Miami Vice NOT being one of them). I think the issue is more than just cost, it's whether it would come out at all!