DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Will there ever be a decent price for Farscape? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/407924-will-there-ever-decent-price-farscape.html)

garmonbozia 02-04-05 02:04 PM

so let me get this straight....the starburst editions are cheaper but don't have as many special features?

Vampirella 02-04-05 03:04 PM

You don't know how lucky you are.

The Farscape sets in Britain cost a FORTUNE compared to what you're paying,

For my seasons one and two, I paid about £45 each - which works out at about $90. This was from Amazon during a MASSIVE sale. I'd like to get season 3, but the generic price stands round about the £85 mark - a staggering $170. The full MRSP is actually £100 ($200).

You'll forgive me if I'm not overly sympathetic to your situation. Envy would be a better description.

Mike Lowrey 02-04-05 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Vampirella
You don't know how lucky you are.

The Farscape sets in Britain cost a FORTUNE compared to what you're paying,

For my seasons one and two, I paid about £45 each - which works out at about $90. This was from Amazon during a MASSIVE sale. I'd like to get season 3, but the generic price stands round about the £85 mark - a staggering $170. The full MRSP is actually £100 ($200).

You'll forgive me if I'm not overly sympathetic to your situation. Envy would be a better description.

But you didn't mention anything about special features...

No special features = No sale.

Bandoman 02-04-05 03:22 PM

I was going to get the Starburst edition if it had special features. Any word on this?

Vampirella 02-04-05 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
But you didn't mention anything about special features...

No special features = No sale.

Fair enough.

Special features for season one are...

Commentaries:Features all 22 episodes
Audio commentary with creator, writer and executive producer Rockne S. O'Bannon, executive producer Brian Henson and actor Ben Browder on "Premiere"
Audio commentary with actors Claudia Black and Anthony Simcoe on "I, ET"
Audio commentary with director and executive producer Brian Henson and actor Virginia Hey on "Exodus From Genesis"
Audio commentary with actors Claudia Black and Ben Browder on "Throne For A Loss"
Audio commentary with director Rowan Woods and actor Ben Browder on "Back And Back And Back To The Future"
Audio commentary with creator and executive producer Rockne S. O'Bannon and actor Anthony Simcoe on "Thank God It's Friday...Again"
Audio commentary with actor Anthony Simcoe on "Bone To Be Wild"
Audio commentary with actors Claudia Black and Ben Browder on "Family Ties" Extras:"Making Of A Space Opera" featurette
“6 Character profile featurettes with interviews and images “:
- John Crichton (Ben Browder)
- Aeryn Sun (Claudia Black)
- Ka D'Argo ( Anthony Simcoe)
- Muya-Pilot
- Pa'u Zotoh Zhaan (Virginia Hey)
- Dominar Rygel XVI (Jonathan Hardy)
Australian Creature Shop –featurette
"Costume Design" featurette
Art gallery with 34 conceptual drawings
Original Jim Henson company trailer
Image galleries
DVD-ROM features:
Screensaver PC
- Weblinks Subtitles:NoPicture format:4:3 Non-Anamorphic PAL Soundtrack(s):English Dolby Digital 5.1 formatCase type:Special Case

I love Farscape. It's a quality show - but I don't think any one season of ANYTHING is worthy a hundred quid.

Mike Lowrey 02-04-05 03:34 PM

Fair enough.

Special features for season one are...

Commentaries:Features all 22 episodes
Audio commentary with creator, writer and executive producer Rockne S. O'Bannon, executive producer Brian Henson and actor Ben Browder on "Premiere"
Audio commentary with actors Claudia Black and Anthony Simcoe on "I, ET"
Audio commentary with director and executive producer Brian Henson and actor Virginia Hey on "Exodus From Genesis"
Audio commentary with actors Claudia Black and Ben Browder on "Throne For A Loss"
Audio commentary with director Rowan Woods and actor Ben Browder on "Back And Back And Back To The Future"
Audio commentary with creator and executive producer Rockne S. O'Bannon and actor Anthony Simcoe on "Thank God It's Friday...Again"
Audio commentary with actor Anthony Simcoe on "Bone To Be Wild"
Audio commentary with actors Claudia Black and Ben Browder on "Family Ties" Extras:"Making Of A Space Opera" featurette
“6 Character profile featurettes with interviews and images “:
- John Crichton (Ben Browder)
- Aeryn Sun (Claudia Black)
- Ka D'Argo ( Anthony Simcoe)
- Muya-Pilot
- Pa'u Zotoh Zhaan (Virginia Hey)
- Dominar Rygel XVI (Jonathan Hardy)
Australian Creature Shop –featurette
"Costume Design" featurette
Art gallery with 34 conceptual drawings
Original Jim Henson company trailer
Image galleries
DVD-ROM features:
Screensaver PC
- Weblinks Subtitles:NoPicture format:4:3 Non-Anamorphic PAL Soundtrack(s):English Dolby Digital 5.1 formatCase type:Special Case

That's great and all, but I think you're missing the idea here. Read the entirity of this thread and see if you can pick it up.

I love Farscape. It's a quality show - but I don't think any one season of ANYTHING is worthy a hundred quid.
And that's why I love the fact that thru these Starburst Editions we R1 folks can get an entire season for as low as $45 or as you say, about 22-23 quid.

Mike Lowrey 02-04-05 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Bandoman
I was going to get the Starburst edition if it had special features. Any word on this?

Yeah, I'd like to know too...anybody? Bueller? Bueller?

Vampirella 02-04-05 03:45 PM

That's great and all, but I think you're missing the idea here. Read the entirity of this thread and see if you can pick it up.

I was only responding to the original subject matter.(the 1st post of the thread) I realise there was a comparative conversation later on in the string, but I wasn't offering an input to that.

Mike Lowrey 02-04-05 04:00 PM

I was only responding to the original subject matter.(the 1st post of the thread) I realise there was a comparative conversation later on in the string, but I wasn't offering an input to that.

Well, OK, but you quoted me from a post here on the 2nd page of the discussion.

The truth here is that...
Spoiler:
And the on-going joke here is that not only do the Starburst Editions have the same special features from the original release, but they are up-dated to include information from the entire series when relevant. And they have new and additional commentaries that weren't available on the original relase.

Vampirella 02-04-05 04:10 PM

I didn't quote you until your post prompted me to offer information relevant to the special features.

My first post, and original opinion was directed toward the message that started this thread. Any information I offered there after was as a result of what appeared to be your request for special feature listings.

Mike Lowrey 02-07-05 02:30 PM

Any word yet on special features?

Michael Corvin 02-07-05 03:52 PM

The truth here is that...
Spoiler:
And the on-going joke here is that not only do the Starburst Editions have the same special features from the original release, but they are up-dated to include information from the entire series when relevant. And they have new and additional commentaries that weren't available on the original relase.

So to clear this up. There are new features?

pdinosaur 02-07-05 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
So to clear this up. There are new features?

i think we established long ago that there are new features.

we're still waiting for word on special features.

Holly Martins 02-07-05 04:02 PM

I didn't quote you until your post prompted me to offer information relevant to the special features.

My first post, and original opinion was directed toward the message that started this thread. Any information I offered there after was as a result of what appeared to be your request for special feature listings.
This entire thread is hilarious, but this post really takes the cake on so many levels.

It's just so frigging British. Not that anythings wrong with that. ;)

El-Kabong 02-07-05 04:16 PM

BTW - ADV films do occasionaly go on special for 20% off here: http://www.rightstuf.com/

They're currently doing a Viz promo right now, but about twice a year they do an ADV special. (And even better - if you get a Gotanime membership, you get 30% off instead of 20%. It costs 12 bucks to sign on, but pays for itself pretty quickly if you get several discs. And dropping a hundred bucks on one order gets you free shipping too).

Maxflier 02-07-05 09:03 PM

I blind bought the Vol. 1 Starburst the other day despite no definitive word on if the Starburst's have extra special features or not.But i figured for 13 bucks,you can't go wrong.

Numes 02-07-05 10:58 PM

Someone told me that the starburst editions had MORE special features than the previous versions. I found this thread, but there hasn't been any definitive answer to whether or not the starburst editions have any additional special features at all?!?!?

Spoiler:
You know... At first I felt a little silly that I didn't read Josh-da-man's post very carefully and tried to sneak in the information about MORE special features. In retrospect, this is one of my favorite threads. Definitely entertaining, I can proudly say I contributed to the silliness.
:D

Linn1 02-07-05 11:13 PM

Wait a tic...

But your first post seemed it indicate that there's a British edition and IT TOO HAS SPECIAL FEATURES!!? Are these the same ones on the US set? And Brits have to pay this "quid" thing to get these extra special features? Now I know I'd be upset if I bought a set of a TV show and had to pay extra for special features. I understand why you'd envy us. I mean the original U.S. sets actually came with special features INCLUDED on the discs. But now I learn the UK discs have special features as well and I don't have anything even like a "quid" to get them with. Now if these new "Starburst" sets have special features, maybe these British ones, well now you're talkin'!

SiberianLlama 02-08-05 02:33 AM

Hi, I've only seen a couple of episodes of Farscape, and have been eyeing the season sets for a while. With the new Starburst editions coming out, I'm sold!

Also, this thread has got to be one of the funniest I've read in some time.

They really should include a copy of it on one of the dvds for a later Starburst edition as another "special feature." :)

Mike Lowrey 02-08-05 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Numes
Spoiler:
You know... At first I felt a little silly that I didn't read Josh-da-man's post very carefully and tried to sneak in the information about MORE special features. In retrospect, this is one of my favorite threads. Definitely entertaining, I can proudly say I contributed to the silliness.
:D

Spoiler:
On another forum that I used to belong to, we had a similar type of thread...well actually it was a FAQ thread. Before the BBS had the "Sticky" feature, in order to keep the FAQ thread on the front page, certain members would contribute by telling an ongoing story about forum members in one or two sentences for each post. It got pretty hilarious at times. For example, one member was from Australia and was a professional sea fisherman, so stories about his fishing would creep into the narrative, while another was a sheep herder or something, and so stories about him shagging his sheep made it into the narrative.

But I got to admit, this "Special Features" thread is about one of the funniest things I've read in quite some time.

Mike Lowrey 03-09-05 01:13 PM

So with the third Starburst Edition volume coming out in a week, has there been any definate word on if it contains special features?

Bandoman 03-09-05 01:42 PM

So with the third Starburst Edition volume coming out in a week, has there been any definate word on if it contains special features?

And which version should I get? I haven't seen the British version in my local Best Buy. If they do have the British version, and if it has special features (still awaiting word on this), will they be in English (it being a foreign edition)?

Mike Lowrey 03-09-05 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bandoman
And which version should I get? I haven't seen the British version in my local Best Buy. If they do have the British version, and if it has special features (still awaiting word on this), will they be in English (it being a foreign edition)?

No...the British version will have its special features (if any) in French.

Maxflier 03-09-05 02:08 PM

Jeez,two pages and we are still no closer to finding out anything on the special features than when this thread was started...

bboisvert 03-09-05 02:11 PM

I'm going to hold out for the Farscape: Das Boot Edition.

"Now with even more lemony-fresh Special Features."