Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

New Song of the South info and articles

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by resinrats
Disney should just burn all the copies of teh film and negatives just to get people to stop yelling for this movie. The only reason people care for it is because they can't have it. If it was out, it would be totally forgotten. How's the Black Cultrun going? Totally forgotten about that movie now even though it used to be wanted just like SOTS is.
Why was Black Cultrun? What is/was "bad" about it?
Old 01-31-05, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Class316
Why was Black Cultrun? What is/was "bad" about it?
What is Black Cultrun?

Please don't tell me you people are talking about "Black Cauldron"?!
Old 01-31-05, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by sracer
What is Black Cultrun?

If you're not prepared for the answer, it's better not to ask in the first place...
Old 01-31-05, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by sracer
What is Black Cultrun?

OOPS. Yea that was it. I posted quickly.
Old 01-31-05, 03:34 PM

Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it.....

What's next, all WWII films will be recalled because they show Germans and Japanese in a negative light? We have already had censorship from "Looney Toons" DVD release where "Bugs nips the nips" was not included in the release.
Look at the Dave Chappelle show on Comedy Central, hom many times does he use the "N" word on cable TV? and Disney is worried about singing and the use of positive role models in a post civil war timeframe?
The politically correct police need to take a break and stop worrying about trying not to offend someone, not everything in life can be correct to everyone's standards.
Old 02-01-05, 04:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Actually, "Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips" was released on the LD box set of Looney Tunes Vol.1. They removed it in later printings and replaced it with another but didn't change the title content. Some have it and some don't!
Old 02-01-05, 04:37 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts
Originally Posted by jhowie
Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it.....
Exactly, do we really need another "zip-a-dee-do-da"?
Old 02-02-05, 10:20 AM

There's a little write-up on CNN today by a guy at Disney saying it might be a go!
----------
Disney May Finally Release 'Song of the South' on Video

The Kansas City Star, which has been running a daily feature saluting past Oscar winners in the run-up to the awards show on Feb. 27, today (Tuesday) selected Disney's 1947 film Song of the South, which won the best song Oscar ("Zip-a-Dee-Doo-dah") and a special Oscar for its star, James Baskett. It is the only Disney animated film never to have been released on home video in the U.S., largely because it was condemned during the civil rights era by the NAACP for "the impression it gives of an idyllic master-slave relationship." A website devoted to the film, www.songofthesouth.net, has collected over 60,000 names on a petition to encourage Disney to release the film, and Disney Studios Chairman Dick Cook is being quoted as acknowledging that it has received more requests for a DVD release of the movie than any other film. Cook noted that a similar complaint about racial issues was addressed when the studio released World War II material in the Walt Disney Treasures DVD series "through introductions that place the material in context." Cook said that he was "confident" that a similar solution could be found for Song of the South.
----------------
From http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/2005-02-01/#2
Old 02-02-05, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
That sounds promising..

Let's just hope they didn't read Shannon's post..
Old 02-07-05, 01:15 PM

One key fact about Roger Ebert that many of you have missed is that his TV review program is syndicated by Buena Vista Television--a Disney subsidiary.

I would guess he didn't want to tick off his bosses.

I may be reading too much into it, but it seems plausible!
Old 02-07-05, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdirv
One key fact about Roger Ebert that many of you have missed is that his TV review program is syndicated by Buena Vista Television--a Disney subsidiary.

I would guess he didn't want to tick off his bosses.

I may be reading too much into it, but it seems plausible!
See post #5
Old 02-17-05, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks everyone for the great comments. Great things going on at savedisney, including a call to stop making sequels. A new book Disney War is also making waves. I have not picked it up yet, but would love to hear some thoughts on it

also found another thread with 3 pages...just want to keep things linked.

Song of the South- Why do people care?
Old 02-17-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Great article.

The same problem is around with nutty people. We still have to say to you:

If you don't want to buy or see this movie then don't!!!!
Old 02-17-05, 03:39 PM

I saw SotS when I was five, and I haven't seen it since. All I recall first hand is that a young kid befriends a friendly old man who yells him some great stories. The animated sequences were wonderful, the live action sequences were boring. The kid gets run over by a bull, and Remus tells him a story and he is all better. The end.

Ebert's position is a weird one. All of the subtext about slavery is completely over the heads of kids. Its *adults* who would view the film through political lenses, and know enough history to put the film in its context. I find it highly unlikely that a kid would take anything from this film beyond color-blind friendships and the power of story.

And I would have to view the film again to see if there is even anything in it to be offended by as an adult. But I doubt it. The film's crime, it seems, is to portray the post-bellum south as a world of racial harmony, which it assuredly was not. But I am not sure an accurate description of the 1870s South, with its crushing poverty, lynch mobs, and attempts to re-institute slavery under other names is something I really want my kids to see. A message of racial harmony strongly trumps a sanitized depiction of post-bellum life, in my book.
Old 02-17-05, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I would like to see this on DVD, but I really only care about the animated sequences. I think they should take the approach of sneaking some onto other major releases like they did with Alice in Wonderland.
Old 02-22-05, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Class316 skipped my thread with this new link and news...take a look and again thanks for the good news.

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/artic...le.php?ID=1313

"Song of the South" to go on sale in '06
Jim Hill shares what he just heard from his sources deep inside Buena Vista Home Entertainment. That a DVD of this long supressed Disney classic will finally hit store shelves in the Fall of 2006.
by Jim Hill

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know that it's been a really rough winter so far. But who would have thought that Hell was gonna to freeze over?

"What do I mean by that?," you ask. Well, I just got word that Buena Vista Home Entertainment will be releasing "Song of the South" on DVD in the Fall of 2006.

That's right. "Song of the South." The Academy Award winning film that former Disney Feature Animation head Thomas Schumacher once told Roger Ebert was on "permanent moratorium" has reportedly been greenlit for release late next year. A special 60th anniversary edition that -- thanks to a plethora of extra features -- will try & put this somewhat controversial motion picture in historial context.

"Why -- after all these years -- did Disney finally give in?," you query. It's simple, really. "Song of the South" 's 60th anniversary was simply too good a promotional hook for the Mouse's marketing staff to pass up. More to the point, Buena Vista Home Entertainment could really use a hit right about now.

Don't believe me? Then go check out Disney's financial reports for the first quarter of 2005. Where you'll discover that the Mouse's accountants actually blame the 20% drop in revenue that the company's Studio Entertainment division recently experienced on lower DVD sales of current-year films.

Given that Disneyana fans have been clamoring for a "Song of the South" DVD for nearly a decade now, BVHE execs are hoping that all of this pent-up demand will eventually translate in really big sales for this disc. Disney is hoping to sell at least 10-12 million units of this particular motion picture.

"But aren't Disney Company execs concerned about how the African American community may response to 'Song of the South' 's release of DVD?," you continue. Yep. I won't lie to you folks. There's a lot of people in the Team Disney Burbank building who are very concerned that -- by releasing this much maligned motion picture on home video & DVD -- that the Mouse House is potentially opening itself up to a ton of bad publicity.

With the hope of avoiding that, BVHE reportedly plans to really pile on the extra features with "Song of the South." Among the ideas currently being knocked around is producing a special documentary that -- through use of clips from that TV movie version of Rodgers & Hammerstein's "Cinderella" that Disney produced back in 1997 as well as sequences from "The Proud Family" & "That's So Raven" -- would demonstrate that a person's color really doesn't matter at the modern Walt Disney Company. There's also talk of including Walt Disney Feature Animation's seldom-seen short, "John Henry," as one of the disc's special features.

Buena Vista Home Entertainment is also supoosedly toying with approaching a prominent African-American performer to serve as the MC on the DVD version of "Song of the South." You know, someone who could then introduce the film, explain its historical significance as well as re-enforcing the idea that "SOTS" was a product of a much less enlightened time in Hollywood's history. I'm told that -- up until recently -- Bill Cosby was actually at the top of Disney's wish list. But now that Dr. Cosby has been accused of inappropriate behavior with several ladies ... Well, let's just say that Bill is no longer Mickey's top choice for this position.

Anywho ... There's one other aspect of this "Song-of-the-South"-soon-on-on-DVD saga that I guess I should mention. Which is why Buena Vista Home Entertainment is low-balling its predictions of the number of units that "SOTS" might sell (I.E. 10-12 million versus "Finding Nemo" 's 39 million+ units). Why is that, do you suppose? Mind you, it's not because "Song of the South" is decidedly old fashioned (Well, what do you expect from a 60 year-old motion picture?), but rather .... Here, why don't I let my source inside BVHE explain:

"This movie isn't nearly as good as people seem to remember it being. Sure, the animated sequences are charming. But the pace of the rest of the picture is so damned pokey.

Which is why I seriously doubt that we'll get all that many letters about "Song of the South" 's racial content. The way I figure it, most kids & adults will be nodding off 30 minutes into the thing. And people who are sleeping can't write letters of complaint."

Well, I don't know about that. But what I can tell you folks is to stop bidding NOW on those black market "SOTS" DVDs that keep popping up on eBay. For -- if you can just wait another 17-18 months -- you can actually purchase a really-for-real authorized version of Disney's "Song of the South" of your very own.

Your thoughts?
Old 03-08-05, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
This movie isn't nearly as good as people seem to remember it being. Sure, the animated sequences are charming. But the pace of the rest of the picture is so damned pokey.
Ugh...what nonsense. I just watched this movie from beginning to end last weekend. A beautiful, sweet movie. The scenes with Uncle Remus spinning his tales were well crafted, the actors were excellent, and the story is timeless.

I will very much pick up this classic, when it's offically released next year.
Old 03-08-05, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I couldn't agree more. I don't have many live action Disney movies, but this is one of my favorites and I can't wait to own it again.
Old 03-09-05, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Falc04
Ugh...what nonsense. I just watched this movie from beginning to end last weekend. A beautiful, sweet movie. The scenes with Uncle Remus spinning his tales were well crafted, the actors were excellent, and the story is timeless.

I will very much pick up this classic, when it's offically released next year.
just want to say that is Jim Hill's quote not mine. I think my love for this movie has been expressed time and time again. Just cringed when i saw my name with that quote...I do not agree...i will not gush again though.
Old 03-09-05, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
just want to say that is Jim Hill's quote not mine. I think my love for this movie has been expressed time and time again. Just cringed when i saw my name with that quote...I do not agree...i will not gush again though.
Actually, it isn't Jim Hill's either. It was from his source inside Buena Vista.
Old 03-09-05, 07:43 AM

On a similar subject I wonder if the similarly non politically correct Warner Bros (Tex Avery?) Snow White and de Sebben Dwarfs, ever get a release on DVD?
Old 03-09-05, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Which of Disney's ½ live - ½ animated will be released first,

Song of the South
or
So Dear to My Heart
Old 03-09-05, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Deco King
On a similar subject I wonder if the similarly non politically correct Warner Bros (Tex Avery?) Snow White and de Sebben Dwarfs, ever get a release on DVD?
Don't hold your breath!
Old 03-10-05, 07:20 AM

I didn't think that it would get it's own special edition (!!) however I did wonder if it might turn up as a part of another set of Warner Bros animated titles. After all Disney shows part of the anti semitic caricature with the Big Bad Wolf as the "Fuller Brush" man sequence in the Three Little Pigs Silly Symphonies Tin!
Old 03-10-05, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wasn't it actually called "Coal Black and De Sebben Dwarfs?" I've never seen that but have heard of it.

I'm pleased I saw SOTS but its not one I'd want to see again as I think the main plot is rather hokey. Still the animation is rather charming (if twee) and the performances (James Baskett especially) were very good and IMO it has a positive, nice message about friendship, and the power of stories. The little boy sees no distinction between himself and Uncle Remus - he sees Remus as a gentle, kindly old man who displays much more knowledge and wisdom than any of the people in his family.

Spoiler:
Does he actually die in the end when he gets "gored" (the little girl's words) by the bull? I found it hard to believe anyone would survive that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.