Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

I converted TWO people to Widescreen! Wooo-whooo!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

I converted TWO people to Widescreen! Wooo-whooo!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-05, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear pdinosaur,
How exactly did you take offense to Libby's post? It was quite clearly saying, "Way to go [converting two people to widescreen]"... How the heck did you read it? Not trying to start anything, just wondering how you made that mistake. Other than the fact that the post came directly after yours. I just fail to see how you could possibly think it was directed at you. Maybe you thought the "way to go" part was sarcasm?

K
Old 02-01-05, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Big deal:

I converted 2 truck drivers to cars, 2 hot dog lovers to hamburgers and 2 Wendys eaters to McDonalds.
Old 02-01-05, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pdinosaur
(and so you know, if we suggest that movies should be seen as directors intended, then we should permit directors to change them too to better suit their original idea, as lucas has said.)
No, you're wrong. The reason people are against FS is because it's somebody other than the director messing with the movie, true, but the reason people are against Lucas going back 20 years later is that Lucas has become essentially a different person. The director releases the movie based on the person he is at the time he does the movie; obviously, a person 20 years older might've done things differently, but that person 20 years older has no right to change the kid's movie even if he is the kid 20 years later. (Putting that aside, there are also quite a few people who object to Lucas unilaterally changing other people's work and taking all the credit.)

Originally Posted by pdinosaur
personally, WS is the way to go, but for others the amount you miss may just not be a big deal. generally you aren't going to be missing key elements in a FS movie. if it's off to the side, well, that's whats panning is for.
Are you familiar with the old robot expression "Does not compute"? Allow me to point out your logical fallacy: You are using your belief that FS/pan-and-scan is "not that big a deal" to prove that FS/pan-and-scan is "not that big a deal". Which, among other things, begs the question, "How can you know whether the pan-and-scan of a movie is not that big a deal until you've seen the movie in WS?" (Since a movie could *either* be badly shot and well pan-and-scanned or well shot but badly pan-and-scanned.)
Old 02-01-05, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
Are you familiar with the old robot expression "Does not compute"? Allow me to point out your logical fallacy: You are using your belief that FS/pan-and-scan is "not that big a deal" to prove that FS/pan-and-scan is "not that big a deal". Which, among other things, begs the question, "How can you know whether the pan-and-scan of a movie is not that big a deal until you've seen the movie in WS?" (Since a movie could *either* be badly shot and well pan-and-scanned or well shot but badly pan-and-scanned.)

i was just contrasting from personal perspective/experience with basically the existence of the option to buy a full screen dvd. it's a small assumption, but i think reasonably safe to say that some people don't mind having a FS cut of a movie.

but personally, for clarity, i seem to notice panning pretty well. and it really disorients the crap out of me.

hehe. one day i'll learn to convey my meaning clearly on dvdtalk. one day.
Old 02-01-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

(Putting that aside, there are also quite a few people who object to Lucas unilaterally changing other people's work and taking all the credit.)
What did Lucas unilaterally change which wasn't a movie he created?
Old 02-01-05, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The director releases the movie based on the person he is at the time he does the movie; obviously, a person 20 years older might've done things differently, but that person 20 years older has no right to change the kid's movie even if he is the kid 20 years later.
Two problems with this:

1) Lucas has stated very publicly and clearly that there are many things that he had wanted to do but money, technological limitations, and schedules kept him from making them upon first release. Once those were no longer any issue, he changed them. Those changes had nothing to do with "who he was" 20 years earlier.

2) Why does a person have no right to change something that they did 20 years earlier? I have many artistic hobbies (photography, writing, sculpting, etc.) and over the years I have created many things. I have also gone back and changed things that I did years before because I realized that I liked it better a different way or I had access to new "tools" that allowed me to do something the way I had really wanted to do it. Artists do that all the time . . .
Old 02-01-05, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jarofclay73
What did Lucas unilaterally change which wasn't a movie he created?
He's refering to the stance that some people take that the movie also was created by the actors, sound people, special effect staff, grips, best boys, etc. and so the director doesn't have the right to change their work.

Personally, I don't see how it is any different from what goes on in the editting process during post-production, but others don't agree.
Old 02-01-05, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Two people, well it's a start. I don't even bother trying to persuade somebody towards WS anymore.
Old 02-01-05, 05:02 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by talemyn
He's refering to the stance that some people take that the movie also was created by the actors, sound people, special effect staff, grips, best boys, etc. and so the director doesn't have the right to change their work.
Not to mention the even more salient point that George Lucas didn't direct THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK nor RETURN OF THE JEDI!
Old 02-01-05, 05:05 PM

And here I was thinking we were finally over all of this WS/FS evangelising... silly me